Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

A Very Special Guest

Posted by: bigguyhereagain <bigguyhereagain@...>

Sue walked the 125 feet from her door to the mail box. She opened the door and pulled out three letters. As she walked back to the house crossing the lawn she noticed that the first two letters were identifiable and normal. The third letter was mysterious and had no stamp or postmark but her name and address were beautifully written with gold ink using calligraphy. She read the letter:

Dear Sue:
I'm going to be in your neighborhood Saturday afternoon and I would like to visit.
Love Always,
Jesus

"Why would the Lord want to visit me? I'm nobody special. I don't have anything to offer." With that thought, Sue remembered her kitchen cabinets were mighty bare. "Oh my, I must run down to the store and buy something for dinner." She reached for her purse and counted five dollars and forty cents. "Well, at least I can get some bread and cold cuts.” She grabbed her coat and hurried out the door.

A loaf of French bread, a quarter-pound of sliced turkey, and a carton of milk ... leaving Sue with eighty-five cents to last through the weekend. Nonetheless, she was elated to have something to serve to her special guest as she headed home with her meager offerings tucked under her arm.

"Hey lady, can you help us, lady?" Sue had been so absorbed in her dinner plans; she hadn't noticed two figures huddled in an alleyway. A man and a woman shivering from the cold and dressed in little more than rags were now standing in front of her.

"Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya know, and my wife and I have been living out here on the street, and, well, now it's getting cold and we're getting kinda hungry and, well, if you could help us, lady, we'd really appreciate it." Sue looked at them both. They were dirty, they smelled bad and frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if they really wanted to.

"Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having a very important guest for dinner tonight and I was planning on serving what I have to Him."

"Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand. Thanks anyway." The man put his arm around his wife’s shoulder, turned and headed back into the alley. As she watched them leave, Sue felt a familiar twinge in her heart. "Sir, wait!"

The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them. "Look, why don't you take this food. I'll find something else to serve to my very special guest." Sue handed the man her grocery bag.

"Thank you lady, thank you very much!"

"Yes, thank you!" It was the man's wife, and Sue could see now that she was shivering uncontrollably." You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take mine?" Sue unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders. Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street ... without her coat and with nothing to serve her very special guest. "Thank you lady, thank you very much!"

Sue was chilled to the bone by the time she reached her driveway, and worried too. The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't have any food to offer Him and no money left to buy any. She fumbled through her purse for the door key. But as she did, she noticed the flag on her mailbox was standing up. “That's odd. The mailman doesn't lift the flag. I’m the only one that should raise the flag,” she thought. Sue replaced the flag to its resting place and looked inside the mailbox. She was surprised to find another letter. She thought,” the mailman never comes twice in a day, what could be in the envelope?

Sue looked at the letter and just like the first mysterious letter it had no stamp, no postmark and her name and address were beautifully written in gold ink using calligraphy as on the first letter. She opened the letter and read:

Dear Sue:

It was so good to see you again. Thank you for the lovely meal. And thank you, too, for the wonderful coat.

Love Always,
Jesus

The air was still and cold, but even without her coat, Sue no longer noticed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~A Fish Story~~

It was mid day and the fish had stopped biting. I was enjoying just sitting in the boat and casting.

I worked the water with a variety of lures. I tried all my favourite spoons and crank baits and was reduced to using those pretty ones I had bought on impulse but never catch a fish on. If you fish, you know the ones I mean, they are designed to catch fishermen not fish. I have more of those in my tackle boxes than I care to admit.

I was pretty much on autopilot, cast and retrieve across the span of water, then change lures. As I fished, I admired the trees, the sky, the birds and the wonder of God.

Out of nowhere, just in front of the boat, came the biggest Northern Pike I have seen in a long time. He hammered the lure hard and was off. By the time I focused on what was going on, he had already shaken the hook and was gone. I didn't have another strike for hours.

I sometimes think that's how we treat God. We pray for opportunities to share our faith but we're not attentive. The opportunity comes along, but we've been so busy with other things that we don't recognize it until after the fact.

Have a Blessed Day
Dave and Barbara