Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

ADVENT 2006 #1/5

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

ADVENT 2006 #1/5
HUMBLE SERVANTS
November 26, 2006

Text: Matthew 2:1-12

By beginning my Advent sermons this year with the account of the visit of the Wise Men - or Magi (which is the Greek term translated as “wise men”) - I must make an admission: I am chronologically challenged. You see, in spite of all the beautiful nativity sets that have been made, many Bible scholars do not place the visit of the Wise Men on the evening of Jesus’ birth. We can be pretty certain that they were not at the manger the same time as the shepherds. In Matthew 2:16, we learn, “When Herod realized he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi.” Two observations: First, Herod was outwitted by God, which was probably not one of the most taxing feats of God. Many times, those who dwell a lot about holding their own power end up being outwitted. Second, the Wise Men were operating with a time range, not a specific day or hour. Also, Matthew 2:1 tells us that “after Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem…” So I begin this Advent at sometime other than the chronological beginning.

It is still a beginning, nevertheless. My mind drifted to this account associated with the birth of Jesus because of the portrayal of the scene in one of the movie accounts of the life of Jesus. I do not remember which one it is, but I do recall that as the Wise Men approached the place where the little Jesus was, they commented to one another that such a humble birth - such a humble beginning - completed the picture for them. It made sense to them that the King of kings - the Messiah - was born among the most common people and place of the world. Maybe this movie portrayal gave the Wise Men a bit more insight than they really had, but it did spotlight the humility involved in the manner that Jesus was born and the manner in which believers are to respond.

The Wise Men came seeking a king. Their studies, insights, and visions were leading them to royalty. In spite of much that is not known about the Wise Men, it appears that they were men of some stature. They not only brought expensive gifts; they also had enough “clout” to gain an audience with King Herod in Jerusalem. Perhaps they expected to find the infant king in the palace. That would not have been an unrealistic expectation. Those born into royalty or nobility were typically raised in the appropriate environment where they would be groomed for their position in life. After all, they had to learn how to rule and how to carry themselves properly in the station of life they were born into. Besides, the Wise Men would have been treated according to their stature in the Jerusalem palace.

But this was not to be. The Wise Men’s journey was not over in Jerusalem. They could have stopped their quest there. They could have hung it up after determining that they had given it their best shot. But they were not important men on this journey; they were humble servants. So they continued on their way. Of course, we know that once more the star led them to the place where they found Jesus.

Once again, the Wise Men displayed their determination. I carry no doubt that wherever they found the child and his mother, it was a humble dwelling. They may have found someplace other than a stable to live in for awhile, but I do not believe that they were bumped up to first class. I believe that life was still tough for all the people displaced by the requirement to enroll in the census. Coming into this kind of rabble and mayhem and refugee conditions, the Wise Men could have conceivably decided that this was not their scene. They could have decided to turn around and head right back to their own places of safety and relative luxury. But they did not do this. As we therefore know, the Wise Men found “the child and his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.” They were humble servants.

Applying Biblical lessons to our lives, we learn that we are also to be humble servants. Through all the years of Christianity, that has not changed. In a small e-mail exchange forum with other Christian leaders and laity, I found this message in the old in-box last week: “FRESNO — On Sunday morning at the 18,000-member Calvary Church, tithers flash green Costco-like cards at greeters, who let them in early and usher them to special seating areas. ‘The seats have more padding, and they recline,’ says tither Dan Phelps, kicking back before the sermon. ‘I feel a little guilty, but you can't knock the comfort.’ Calvary is believed to be the first church in America to use membership cards to dole out privileges to certain members. First-time visitors are offered the best seats — plush recliners in the orchestra section — while non-tithing attendees carry orange membership cards and are forced to sit in hard, stadium-style seats on the mezzanine. ‘We give honor to whom honor is due,’ says pastor Jerald Dennis. ‘If you tithe or volunteer in some way, you deserve a special thank you.’”

This caught the immediate attention of readers, and a few participants responded with some pointed insights as to how this practice just might conflict a little with the Bible. Not long after this message was sent, another participant sent this one: “I received this response when I decided to check out some background on the article. I sent an e-mail to a Calvary Church in Fresno. Here is the response I received:”

“David, I believe you are referring to an article which originated on Lark News in April of 2005. Lark News is an online Christian satirical newspaper… We do not offer membership cards based on tithing… As far as tithing goes that is between the person giving and the Lord. No one but that person and the person who handles our bookkeeping knows the amounts people give. Our church is actually Calvary Chapel of Fresno not Calvary Church, but if you do an online search we are the closest match. The church, the pastor, and everything else in this story is made up. There isn't even a church anywhere near that size in or near the Fresno, CA area. So thankfully the story is not true. I appreciate you checking the facts before believing something so outrageous. May the Lord bless you -- Sara Cooksey.”

Yes, the website larknews.com is a satire website. So this church “news” article, like others at the site, was a fabricated joke. But, you have to admit that it hooks us because it sounds like something that could be true. Because of other realities that we know about, as well as human nature, a story of a church offering such favoritism is not out of the realm of possibility.

Christianity is not about membership privileges; it is about humble servant hood. All aspects of our ministries are about serving Christ, not about gaining privileges or bragging rights. Probably the most difficult reality of Christianity for just about all of us is that we so frequently must remember the requirement that following Christ is also about giving up self. Paul writes in Philippians 2:3, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” Like the Wise Men, be humble servants.

Last Sunday, we were invited to respond to a ministry opportunity by our Homecoming speaker, Mr. Carmine Gentile. His involvement in Bible studies at the Miami Correctional Facility has brought him into contact with the needs of some prisoners. The need he spoke to us about involves one prisoner’s request for help upon his release next July. Now this is a “big gulp” ministry request because of so many uncertainties and unknowns. But let me set those aside for now. I do not know or not know what is possible with this request. I do know that I received some interest from some members last week, and that the Deacons and I have decided to seek further guidance from the Lord and resources from those with experience and knowledge so that we can make an informed recommendation.

But more than anything else at this point, I ask that everyone in this fellowship make it a matter of prayer. Certainly, ask if this is a ministry in which we should embark. More than that, though, seek that this, and any other ministries, be done in all humility and as our act of service to God. We need to seek to be, first of all, humble servants in every ministry. Two observations at the end of Mark 12 make very effective reminders about humility. Mark 12:38-40, “As he taught, Jesus said, ‘Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted in the marketplaces, and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely.’” Then, Mark records that event known as the widow’s offering, or widow’s mite. “Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all that she had to live on.’”

These two Scripture testimonies, one right after the other, drives home the point about humble service. It is not a characteristic about Jesus alone. It is not a characteristic about only the Wise Men who undertake a venture that would have otherwise been beneath their dignity. It is not a characteristic expected only or teachers of the law and other religious leaders. It is a characteristic expected of every believer in every age in every nation. It is why I have asked that everyone in this fellowship to makes this ministry request a matter of prayer not to just seek direction, but to ask that we pursue any ministry as humble servants.

“On coming to the house, they saw the child and his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org