Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Are YOU

Posted by: bigguyhereagain <bigguyhereagain@...>

<>< Are YOU ><>

An Eye Witness Account from New York City, on a cold day in December: A
little boy about 10 years old was standing  before a shoe store on the roadway, barefooted, peering through the  window, and shivering with cold. A lady
approached the boy and said, "My little fellow, why are you looking so
earnestly in that window?"

"I was asking God to give me a pair of shoes," was the boy's reply.

The lady took him by the hand and went into the store and asked the
clerk to get half a dozen pairs of socks for the boy. She then asked if
he could give her a basin of water and a towel.
He quickly brought them to her. She took the little fellow to the back
part of the store and, removing her gloves, knelt  down, washed his little feet,
and dried them with a towel. By this time the clerk had returned with the socks.
Placing a pair upon the boy's feet, she purchased him a pair of shoes! She
tied up the remaining pairs of socks and gave them to him.

She patted him on the head and said, "No doubt, my little
fellow, you feel more comfortable now?"

As she turned to go, the astonished lad caught her by the hand, and looking up
in her face, with tears in his eyes, answered  the question with these words:
"Are you God's Wife?"

x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x

<>< The Flashlight ><>

Most parents have had some experience with kids waking up with bad dreams at some point or another. If not bad dreams, then surely every parent has had to deal with invisible monsters hiding in the closet or under the bed.

Recently my wife and I had a bout with our oldest son waking us out of the comfort of our warm bed to come into his room and scare off something that was fear itself.

It was three in the morning and even though it can be the sweetest word on earth when you get home from work, it is not so sweet when heard at three in the morning.

"Daddy"

I came into my son's room to see what the problem was. The first time it was, "I think I saw something." The second time it was, "I think I heard something." The third time it was, "I'm just scared."

I had to get up early in the morning and go to work. I am a very patient man but my sleepiness was wearing my patience down. The wee hours of the morning had me delirious so I warned him, "If you call me one more time, I'm going to give you something to be afraid of." Two minutes later.

"Daddy"

I came into the room and staying true to my promise, even though it hurt my heart to do so, I gave him a tap on the leg; after all, I had to get some sleep. Walking back to my bed like a weary victor of war, I said, "It wasn't easy but that took care of that." Five minutes later.

"Daddy"

I lay in bed for a while at my wit's end on what to do, I had given up.

I knew that if I went and slept in his room with him he would want me to do it every night that he felt fear. I laid there basking in a feeling of stripped victory. In the stillness of the night, a light popped on in my head.

It was a literal light. I saw a picture in my head of a flashlight.

I immediately got out of bed, went to the hall closet, got the flashlight out and took it to my son's room. I handed it to him and told him "Light has a special power to make monsters go away, when you think you see or hear something just cut the light on and shine it in that direction and whatever it is will have to go away."

I went back and got into bed with apprehensiveness against getting to sleep too soundly. I listened for about five minutes then I saw a circle of light shining in my son's room. I waited for that demanding title of "Daddy," but all I heard was the stillness of the night.

This same principle is true in the lives of adults. Many times, we are afraid of that which can really do us no harm.

Our flashlight can be knowledge; most of the time we fear what we don't understand. As we become more enlightened on something that seems scary, peace will come.

The light doesn't really chase away monsters living in the shadows, it just changes our eyesight to see that the room, the business, the school, the marriage, and the assignment is not as scary as it looked without the light on.

Whatever you are afraid of, shine some light on it.

x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x

<>< The Nursing Home ><>

She is 92 years old, petite, well poised, and proud. She is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with her hair fashionably coifed, and her makeup perfectly applied, in spite of the fact she is legally blind.

Today she has moved to a nursing home. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making this move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home where I am employed, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet curtains that had been hung on her window.

"I love it," she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mrs. Jones, you haven't seen the room ... just wait," I said.

Then she spoke these words that I will never forget:

"That does not have anything to do with it," she gently replied. "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not does not depend on how the furniture is arranged. It is how I arrange my mind. I have already decided to love it."

"It is a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice. I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or I can get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do work. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I will focus on the new day and all of the happy memories I have stored away ... just for this time in my life."

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you have already put in.

Have a Blessed Day
Dave and Barbara

Necessary Legal Information

I do not mail idea-central  unsolicited. If you are receiving this newsletter from me it's because you have subscribed to this mailing list. If you receive this newsletter and are not a subscriber then someone, other than me, has forwarded it to you.