Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Fwd: 10 Tiny Tasks to Declutter Your Home: Be More with Less

Posted by: bossypantsblueeyes <bossypantsblueeyes@...>

10 Tiny Tasks to Declutter Your Home: Be More with Less

10 Tiny Tasks to Declutter Your Home

Posted: 08 Jul 2014 10:05 AM PDT

10 Tiny Tasks to Declutter Your Home from bemorewithless.com

Decluttering an entire home sounds completely overwhelming. If I had approached my clutter with a do or die, let’s get this done overnight attitude, I am sure I’d still be surrounded by stuff.

And if I was still surrounded by stuff, I’d be …

• Going shopping to make sure my stuff wasn’t lonely
  • In debt
  • Cleaning and taking care of stuff
  • Wasting time thinking about stuff
  • Frustrated that my home was cluttered
  • Working a job that I didn’t enjoy
  • Worried that I’d never change

I’m not surrounded by stuff anymore because I spent a few years getting rid of it. It didn’t happen overnight, or even close. Instead it was inch by inch, step by step, and trinket by book by scarf. Finally it was mostly gone. I had more space than stuff and I was free. If you want to be free too, but are worried that there is too much to accomplish, use these …

10 Tiny Tasks to Declutter Your Home 

1. Sticker your stuff

If letting go of your stuff seems impossible, use colorful labels to mark your stuff for it’s next destination. Start in one room and use red stickers for every thing you love and want to keep and green for everything else. Ask a friend or family member to help you box up the green stickered stuff for sale or donation.

2. Flip your hangers

If you aren’t ready for Project 333, at least get a good look at what you never wear. Arrange your hangers so they are facing the same direction. Each time you wear something, flip the hanger when you put it away. At the end of a few weeks, anything you haven’t flipped can be eliminated.

3. Expire the expired

Set your timer for 15 minutes and check all of the items in your bathroom and kitchen that have expiration dates. Dump the expired along with anything else that you aren’t using. (properly dispose of medications and donate unopened food)

4. Make a junk box

Collect items from your junk drawer, and from other areas around your house. These are items that you never use, don’t know how to use, or can’t identify. Box them up and set the box aside for 30 days. If you don’t miss any of it, say goodbye.

5. Send 5 care packages

Choose 5 books from your collection for 5 people you love. Write a nice note in the book and give the recipient permission to pass it on when they finish. Sign, seal, deliver. You’ll make a little room on your book shelf and make 5 friends smile.

6. Clean up your digital desktop

The stuff on your digital desktop might not be cluttering up your home, but it’s doing a number to your brain. Clean it up and jettison some of that mental clutter. If you want to take it a step further check out this little guide to digital decluttering.

7. Challenge the kids

I still have visions of Polly Pocket’s pals and American Girl Doll shoes and accessories dancing in my daughter’s room and out into the hall, and down the stairs, onto the kitchen counters. Instead of shaming your kids into cleaning, make it fun. Announce a prize for every 25 things they can collect for donation. The prize can be a fun family activity or your child’s favorite meal. If you have more than one child, offer a bonus if everyone hits their goal to encourage them to work together.

8. Create one little clutter-free space

Identify one countertop or corner of a room to be your clutter-free sanctuary. Ask everyone in the family to commit to keeping that one space clutter free as inspiration for the next clutter-free space.

9. Move the furniture

If you have 5 people in your family and 8 dining chairs, put 3 in the garage. If you gave away your books, move your bookshelf. If your kitchen table sees more mail than meals, move it out. Experiment to see what furniture is functional and what’s just in the way.

10. Inspire yourself

Simplifying your life and decluttering requires inspiration. You know the how to, but when you really identify and understand the why to, it’s so much easier to let go. Use these images I made for you, and read books and blogs about simplicity.

Check out these clutter articles. Take before and after pictures or keep count of the stuff you release. Share your story by writing about your experience. Be inspired and then be inspiring.

- – -

Try these tasks once a month, in addition to your other decluttering efforts. You don’t have to do all of them, but choose a few that resonate with you to be part of your adventure in discovering a simpler, clutter-free life.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to Be More with Less and join me on Facebook. Check out courtneycarver.com for simple ideas for your life and business.

You are subscribed to email updates from Be More with Less

To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.

Email delivery powered by Google
Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610

--Shortcuts:

WANNA READ THE ARCHIVES AND CATCH UP ON WHAT YOU'VE BEEN MISSING??? GO TO:----> http://welovegod.org/mimerdesk/ Sign in or join up and then sign in.....
Under my groups, click on HomesteadHeaven. Then under latest email messages you can click on any message and read. Once on any message there is a link at the top of the message to go to threads by date.

--

Associate.com - THE Place to Associate! http://welovegod.org
Is Your E-mail Group Here? Visit http://associate.com/faq/your-list-here.shtml