Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

GOD'S WAYS

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

GOD’S WAYS
April 30, 2006

TEXT: Acts 16:6-10

When I reported to my first sea command as a spanking new Ensign - that’s Second Lieutenant for all you non-Navy types - I knew quite a bit about Navy life. My Dad was a Navy lifer; in fact, he was still on active duty when I started. So I had some education about Navy life as a Navy brat. I had a personal interest in ships, so I had some education through self-study. I had been in the NROTC training program for two years, so I had some formal classroom education and on-the-job training as a Midshipman. I knew quite a bit about Navy life.

I soon learned, however, that I didn’t know everything. In fact, I didn’t know near enough, which is true for all Ensigns - or Second Lieutenants. There was a lot yet to learn. But that’s normal, and the way it is supposed to work. Training onboard a Navy ship is an apprentice system where I, a junior officer - very junior - learn from my senior officers and all those who had experience in the handling of the ship.

The most critical information that I soon learned was that I would not be qualified on my required watch stations until the Commanding Officer trusted me. Trusted me? What did that mean? I didn’t steal or cheat anyone. Was that what he meant? Well, I’d better not do those things, but that is not what was meant. How about learning the right buttons to push and the right valves to turn? Again, it was critical that I learn those things, but that is still not what was meant. What was meant was that the Commanding Officer could trust me to take the actions that he would take when I was on watch. You see, it is a long-standing tradition in the sea services that the ship is the Captain’s complete responsibility. So, when I stood watch, I did not do things as if it were my ship; I did it as if it were my Captain’s ship - because it was.

Take the actions my Captain would take? How do I do that? By learning what his commands were. By learning about him. For instance, every ship’s Commanding Officer had a set of Standing Orders that covered basic, typical situations and evolutions. If I was going to stand watch as the Officer of the Deck, I had to know my Captain’s Standing Orders. My Captain needed to know that when I was standing watch on the mid-watch that my actions would comply with his written and verbal orders. He needed to know that I was enough aware of how he operated that my orders would be the same as his. When I demonstrated that to my Captain, then he trusted me enough to qualify me for the watch station. The only way I could get to that point was to work on it day in and day out until I arrived at the place where I had the knowledge and the experience to know my Captain’s ways.

Whenever I contemplate and meditate on this portion of Paul’s ministries found in Acts 6:6-10, I am always struck that Paul knew he was not being allowed to enter the province of Asia, but was to await God’s direction. “Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.” Without further details, I almost always find myself asking, “How did they know? What did the Spirit do that convinced them that this was God’s will to not continue into Asia? Was it a security guard or something? Was it a normal person or event that prevented them from going further? Did they not have provisions to go farther in that direction? Was it a supernatural phenomenon that they recognized and interpreted as a message from the Spirit? Did one or more of them have a vision in which they heard God telling them to go no further into the Asian province?” Dr. William Barclay, writing in his New Testament Daily Bible Study series, speculates, “It may have been by the word of a prophet; it may have been by a vision; it may have been by some inner and inescapable conviction. But there is the possibility that what kept Paul from journeying into these provinces was ill-health, the consequence of that thorn in his flesh. What makes that quite likely is that in Ac.16:10, suddenly and without warning, there emerges a ‘we’ passage. The story begins to be told not in the third person but in the first person. That tells us that Luke was there, an eye-witness and a companion of Paul. Why should he so suddenly emerge on the scene? Luke was a doctor. What is more likely than that he met Paul then because Paul needed his professional services, having fallen ill and so being barred from making the journeys he would like to make? If this is so, it is suggestive to reflect that Paul took even his weakness and his pain as a messenger from God.” (William Barclay, The Acts of the Apostles, Revised Edition, Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press, 1976, Ligouri Faithware CD-ROM edition)

Regardless of what anyone might speculate as to how Paul knew that it was the Spirit preventing him from entering Asia, I compare it to my experience and learning as a new Navy officer: in order to know that the Spirit was leading him in this decision, Paul had to know God’s ways. Paul did not just wake up on this morning after years of not learning God’s nature, promises, and commands, and decide that the Spirit was directing him. On the contrary, Paul spent his years ever since his own conversion learning God’s ways. When Paul made a decision, he could be certain that he was acting on behalf of his Savior because Paul knew God’s ways.

I know that this passage of Scripture does not say anything specifically about prayer, but I believe that it teaches us a lesson about prayer nevertheless. We can think of many things when the topic of prayer comes up, because prayer can be approached different ways. Most often, I think that we consider prayer as our means of making a petition to God. From John 16:23-24 we read, “In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.” Jesus instructs us to “ask;” what could be any more straightforward than that?

In order for Paul, or any Christian, to better know God’s ways, then we must learn that prayer is more than petition. It is our opportunity to listen to God. William J. Krutza, writing in Prayer: The Vital Link, suggests this simple definition of prayer: “Prayer is the natural conversation of a person with God.” (William J. Krutza, Prayer: The Vital Link, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania: Judson Press, 1983) I believe that Paul was very aware of the Spirit’s role in whatever it was that kept him from going into the Asian province because he knew God’s ways. I believe that Paul learned God’s ways because he listened for and to God during his times of prayer.

On May 4th, the first Thursday of May, Americans across this nation will engage in the National Day of Prayer. The two local events I am familiar with, Miami and Howard counties, will be held at their respective courthouse squares at noon. There will be prayers lifted up for civic leaders, church leaders, school leaders, churches, and other people and organizations vital to America. Making time to honor God with our prayers on a designated day is a proper and necessary thing to do. I encourage all of you who are able to participate in one of the prayer rallies.

However, we cannot allow this to be the only opportunity for prayer. And I know that it’s not among Christians. Having this National Day of Prayer allows us to be a part of a unified presence across our land. It allows us to openly make known our needs to God through prayerful petitions. It allows us to be encouraged in the presence of brothers and sisters in Christ who care about the spiritual needs of America.

At the same time, we must keep in mind that it takes more than a designated National Day of Prayer to learn God’s ways. Each and every believer must be diligent to keep his and her relationship with God open and vibrant. Remember what I shared earlier about how I, and any officer working toward his qualification, learned my Captain’s ways: I worked on it diligently day in and day out. There was a lot to learn about the ship, about the tactics, about the systems, about the men in my division, and about my Captain’s orders.

Similarly, there is a lot to learn about God’s ways. His Word is still alive in His Scriptures, so we need to meet Him there. He has much light to shed about Himself through the lives of mature, growing Christians, so we need to meet Him through the faith of others. He makes Himself known through the ministries that He gives us the abilities to do, so we need to meet Him through Christian service. And, of course, He loves making Himself known when we meet Him in prayer, so listen for His voice in our times of prayer.

Paul goes on to testify that not only did the Spirit prevent him from entering Bithynia, but that he also experienced a vision of a “man of Macedonia standing and begging him, ‘Come over to Macedonia and help us.’” Once again, Paul was familiar enough with God’s ways to recognize God’s call. He knew his commander’s Standing Orders because he worked on it day in and day out to make God’s ways his ways. So should we.

“After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

--  To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org