Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

I AM AN EVANGELIST

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

I AM AN EVANGELIST
March 5, 2006

TEXT: 1 Corinthians 1:26-2:5

I begin this morning with the words of Dwight L. Moody that I used last week: “if this world is going to be reached, I am convinced that it must be done by men and women of average talent. After all, there are comparatively few people in the world who have great talents.” (D. L. Moody, Christian History, no. 25, as quoted in Bible Illustrator, Parsons Technology, “Average Talents,” #12/1997.1789) Last week, Scripture spoke to us and instructed us - “us” being born-again Christians - to be witnesses. Specifically, Paul’s second letter to Timothy encourages and exhorts us to “…not be ashamed to testify about our Lord…” (2 Timothy 1:8) Many times we miss opportunities to fulfill this and other Biblical instruction, then feel guilty remorse over not doing it. God’s Word uses guilt for only one purpose: to call us to repent and give our lives to God through the redemption of Jesus. We also call that conviction. The verse from Romans 12:2 is as indicative of this as any other: “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.” We’re not told here to get bogged down in our failure and neglect; Paul instead tells believers to be transformed.

God does not intend for believers to become frozen in their tracks when He instructs us to be evangelists; that is, bearers of His good news of salvation. As the testimony about Christ was being spread around parts of the first century A.D. Roman world, it was not a message that only some educated elite could grasp. Neither was it a message that only seminary trained graduates could share. Paul addressed this adequately in 1 Corinthians 1:26 and 2:1: “Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth… When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.” As echoed by Moody centuries later, the Christian Gospel is a message that is easily shared with and by men and women of average talents.

What is it, then, that keeps us from being bold witnesses? Largely, it is our self-created fear that we will fail at it and that our attempts will result in rejection. We fear that we never know the right thing to say. I understand completely that fear. Welcome to my world!

There are two things we have to do to eliminate our fear. And we do need to eliminate this fear in order to allow the transformation Paul writes about in Romans to happen. We must trust the power of God, and we must train.

First, trust the power of God. Let’s continue reviewing what Paul wrote in 2:2-5: “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.” What’s that again? “I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.” That does not sound at all like the Paul we think we know!

Nevertheless, Paul was witnessing in Corinth, a very major metropolitan area with a lot of divergent beliefs; he was opposed in the synagogues; and he brought the Gospel to Gentiles who probably had very little personal knowledge of God. In fact, God gave Paul a vision we find in Acts 18:9, “One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: ‘Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent.’”

In spite of his human frailties, Paul relied upon the power of God. Reflecting upon his experience with them, he emphasized this to the Corinthians when he wrote. Those who came to the Lord in Corinth were won not with “wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power…” Anytime we fail to rely upon the power of God, we run a real risk of getting in the way of the message. We certainly run the risk of failing to get started in the first place when we operate from the paradigm that it is our ability in any way that brings someone else to the Lord. That is how we develop our fear of failure. We get past that by trusting that God will create the opportunity for unbelievers to hear and receive the Gospel.

Second, we must train. Trusting God does not mean that we have no plan of action. Believers are instructed in 2 Timothy 4:2: “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction.” Clearly part of our preparation is to adequately know God’s Word. No one will ever fully understand everything about God, but as Paul writes, we do not have to be wise and persuasive in order to share the faith. As I said earlier, we do not have to be seminary graduates in order to be an evangelist.

Another part of our preparation is to know what to say when we share our faith. There are two primary methods we have been reviewing in preparation for our outreach ministry. The first is what I will call the traditional method; the second is what I call the “Share Jesus Without Fear” or Bill Fay method. Both rely upon the power of God.

The traditional method usually calls upon the Christian witness to share his or her personal testimony. Pastor Jerry Tidwell, in Outreach Teams that Win, the training material we are using to develop this outreach ministry, recommends that each witness writes out his or her personal testimony and then edit it if necessary so that it can be presented in no more than three minutes. Rehearse your personal testimony so that you can share it easily and honestly. The Christian witness presents the Gospel as salvation needed, salvation provided, salvation offered, and salvation accepted, if it is accepted. The witnessing Scripture for each step is on the screen and in your bulletin. (Salvation needed: Romans 3:23 and 6:23a; salvation provided: Romans 5:8; salvation offered: Romans 6:23b; and salvation accepted: Romans 10:9-10). As many recognize, this is quite similar to the “Four Spiritual Laws” witnessing methodology and is one way for the Christian to be prepared for evangelism.

The second method we have been reviewing is the “Share Jesus Without Fear” method. In content, it is no different than any other method. An unbeliever is exposed to God’s Word and, upon conviction, makes the decision to believe in Jesus’ work of salvation. The difference is how the point of decision is reached. The principle of “Share Jesus Without Fear” is this: “God does the work. We cannot fail. It is all God’s work.” (Bill Fay, Share Jesus Without Fear, LifeWay Church Resources)

In step one, the witness uses five key questions that determine where God is working. The first question is something like, “Do you have any kind of spiritual belief?” Obviously, you can arrive at this point with other questions or conversation that leads into a discussion of personal beliefs. The important point here is to let the other person talk! Let them talk about his or her personal belief, and you listen. No matter what their beliefs might be, do not try to argue or correct them or anything else. This is their time. Ask the second question, when appropriate: “To you, who is Jesus?” Again, this is a question that you allow the other person to answer. Third question, “Do you believe there is a heaven and a hell?” The other person answers. Fourth question, “If you died right now, where would you go? If heaven, why?” Again, the witness is to listen to the other person’s answer. No need to correct or defend or impede the other’s point of view. The answer to the fifth question determines whether this is a witnessing encounter in which the other person is under the conviction of the Holy Spirit or whether he or she is still refusing that conviction. “If what you believe were not true, would you want to know it?” If the answer is “yes,” then proceed to share from the Bible. If the answer is “no,” do nothing. Be prepared, however, to proceed even if the answer is initially a “no.” Bill says that his experience has shown him many times that the person who says “no” quickly asks if the witness is really going to leave it at that. If the person then changes his or her answer, then share from the Bible.

Sharing from the Bible is done a little differently than the traditional method, too. A lot of the verses are the same, but the “Share Jesus Without Fear” method instructs us to have the other person read the verse out loud. After each verse, ask, “What does this say to you?” Again, the opportunity is given for the other person to speak about the issue and decision he or she might make. There are seven specific reference verses (Romans 3:23, 6:23, John 3:3, John 14:6, Romans 10:9-11, 2 Corinthians 5:15, and Revelation 3:20). After the seventh verse, the witness closes with five key questions that, again, determine if the other person is willing to yield to the Spirit’s conviction: (1) “Are you a sinner?” (2) “Do you want forgiveness for your sins?” (3) “Do you believe Jesus died on the cross for you and rose again?” (4) “Are you willing to surrender your life to Christ?” (5) “Are you ready to invite Jesus into your life and into your heart?” The witness need not put any pressure on the other person. The Holy Spirit is doing that. If there is silence, give the other person the time to consider what needs to be considered. Be silent and pray that this becomes a moment for God’s victory. If the answer to the final question is “yes,” then guide that person in a prayer of confession, repentance, and belief.

I have provided a brief outline of these two witnessing models. Each model has more helpful details that are beneficial to learn and practice. The church has these resources available for use in either individual or group training, so don’t go away thinking that you’re out there on your own.

We are evangelists. Comfortable or not, we recognize that born-again Christians are meant to be witnesses. And we want to be. I have no doubt that every one here this morning desires for souls to be saved, because we know the absolute goodness of God’s mercy. Who wouldn’t want someone else to have that? Paul teaches that none of us have to be particularly gifted, educated, or eloquent in order to testify about Jesus and the Christian faith. Rather, we are to rely upon God’s power, and when we do that, rebellious souls will be born-again. “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

--  To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org