Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

I LIKE CHURCH, BUT. #6/8

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

I LIKE CHURCH, BUT… #6/8

SPORTS FANS AND CHRISTIANS

June 3, 2007

Text: James 2:14-26

Imagine this conversation:

Q:  So, you’re a Cubs fan?

A:  Definitely.  Love those Cubbies!

Q:  Yeah.  And Wrigley Field is the classic ballpark.  When’s the last time you were there?

A:  Never been there.

Q:  Catch a lot of games on TV then?

A:  Never seen one.

Q:  Ah, listen to the games on radio then.

A:  Nope, never have.

Q:  But – you are a Cubs fan, right?

A:  Definitely.  Love those Cubbies!

Q:  So, what you think of Lou Piniella?  Like his style?

A:  Don’t know who he is.

Q:  Uh-huh.  Well, who’s their best player this year?

A:  I really don’t know who’s on the team.

Q:  How can you be a Cubs fan?  You sure don’t act like one!

That would make for a pretty silly conversation, wouldn’t it?  How can someone be a true Cubs fan and know nothing about the team?  Or care nothing about the team?  Who here could not figure out pretty quickly that whether a person is a Cubs fan, or any sports fan, or not?

But what if the questions were changed a bit?

Q:  Are you a Christian?

A:  Definitely.

Q:  So, where do you go to church?

A:  I never go.

Q:  OK, well do you donate to any ministry?

A:  I don’t think God needs my money.

Q:  Do you read your Bible?

A:  No.

Q:  Well, then, do you pray?

A:  Sure!  What do you think I do every time I’m in trouble?  I let God know when I need His help.

Q:  How do you show God’s love to your neighbors?

A:  Those pigs?  I don’t have anything to do with them.

Q:  But haven’t they ever had any problems that you could help them with?

A:  Beats me.  Not my job.  That’s why we have government aid.

Q:  Are you sure you’re a Christian?  You don’t act like one.

Do you see the similarity between this Cubs fan who doesn’t act like a Cubs fan and this Christian who doesn’t act like a Christian?  Just as it doesn’t make sense to claim to be a Cubs fan and not act like one, it does not make sense to claim to be a Christian and not act like one.  Indeed, that is one of the points that James makes.  Faith that lacks works to demonstrate that faith is dead.  “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”

Immediately, reference to these verses plunges us into the objection from some that Jesus teaches us to not judge others and Paul teaches that we are saved by faith not by works.  I will take care of those two objections quickly this morning so that we can concentrate on what we are to learn from James.

There is a discipline in Bible scholarship known as “hermeneutics.”  Simply put, hermeneutics is the branch of Biblical scholarship that prescribes the rules by which the Bible is to be explained, interpreted, and understood.  Biblical interpretation is not strictly a personal activity based solely upon our individual knowledge, beliefs, experiences, prejudices, and other filters.  Biblical interpretation done as only a personal activity makes it random and, much of the time, inaccurate.  Through centuries of Bible scholarship, a body of procedures have been developed that help humans interpret and apply properly God’s Word.  Hermeneutics in any form is not perfect and is subject to revision, but it does provide an organized, reasonable manner in which to receive from Scripture an accurate understanding of what God teaches.

One of the most readily understood applications of hermeneutics is that the interpreter should not “proof text;” that is, create an interpretation from only a narrow few verses.  The Bible is to be allowed to interpret itself.  With this in mind, the book of James does not contradict Paul and certainly does not contradict Jesus.

When Jesus instructs us, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged,” as in Matthew 7, he was making a specific reference to the habit then, just as now, to predetermine someone’s spiritual character – his or her personal relationship with God – on the basis of race or status in society or dress or hygiene or citizenship or any number of external criteria we care to apply.  These are all wrong criteria with which to determine any person’s relationship with God.  James makes that clear as well in the earlier verses of chapter two.  But Jesus also makes it just as clear that none of us are supposed to be willfully ignorant.  He tells us that we are known by our fruit; that is, the results of our actions.  Our actions either confirm our belief in Christ, or they confirm our rejection of Christ.  Both Jesus and his servant James make it clear that making a conclusion by observing the actions of another is not judging; it is discerning truth from deception.

With regard to works and righteousness, Paul writes in Romans 3:21-24, “But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.  This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.  There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.”  Is James contradicting Paul by writing, “You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone”? (vs. 24)  There is absolutely no contradiction when we apply the given context.  James is writing about what those claiming to have faith show or do not show to others.  He does not question whether or not the work of Christ on the cross is sufficient for salvation.  That is not the issue.  Go back to Paul in Romans 6:15-18, “What then?  Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?  By no means!  Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey – whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?  But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted.  You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.”  Once more, being given life through the sacrifice of Christ does not in any way negate our responsibility to show deeds reflecting our faith.  Douglas Moo, in his commentary on James, quoted C. L. Mitton as follows:  “It is a good thing to possess an accurate theology, but it is unsatisfactory unless that good theology also possess us.”  (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, Eerdmans, 1993, p. 107)  Christians who do not do acts of Christian faith are like sports fans who never root for their team.

In keeping with our theme about the Church we long for, James is telling us that the Church serves a broken world.  Clearly one of the main deeds that Jesus teaches his followers is service.  He tells us through his disciples in plenty of places that the servant is not better than the master.  Since Jesus, our master, came to serve, then we, his servants, are to likewise serve.

So what do we do to accomplish this deed?  That answer is virtually endless, but perhaps we can summarize it like this: we do anything that builds another person up and that leads that person to a saving faith in Christ or a closer walk with Christ.  If that means sharing God’s Word about salvation, then that is the deed to accomplish.  If that means painting walls or trimming tress, then those are the deeds to accomplish.  There are innumerable ways to go about showing our faith.  Notice that James does not say anything about showing off our faith.  Again, the focus is on the other person who needs to receive our action of faith.  Our focus is on our relationship with Jesus Christ.  Anything other than this just puts us back into the “falling short of the glory of God” category.

Our world needs Christians to act out their faith now as much as ever.  In every corner of the world, including America, forces are gathering that seek to outright destroy Christian believers.  This is nothing new to the Church; just ask those first century disciples.  What was their response to any kind of persecution?  Be even more open and active with their deeds of Christian faith.  That was the answer then, and it is the answer now.  We may not experience quick results, but being faithful to God in all arenas of our life is always the right answer.

I am led to share this message from the perspective of both description of and prescription for First Baptist Church.  Without a doubt, believers in this church have allowed their deeds to shine Christian love onto this community and beyond.  Over the years I have been here, we have reached out to teens; we have helped provision those in need; we have supported Christian witness through community worship services, Child Evangelism Fellowship 5-Day Clubs, and Vacation Bible Schools.  Without the generous response of Christian stewards, none of these ministries could be possible.

The lesson from James is also prescriptive.  This is what we must always be doing.  Paul admonishes, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”  Giving up is simply not a Christian option.  We can always refine our response to God.  We may discover new ways to serve others through Him as our situations in life change.  But we are never called to give up.  We are never called to be sports fans who never get involved in supporting the team.  We are never called to be Christians with a dead spirit.  In reference to Abraham’s faith, James reminds us, “You see that his faith and actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.” (v. 22)

James’ message is simple and straightforward.  Any Christian can take it to heart and do it; any Christian can ignore it.  Does it really take a preacher to tell anyone the correct path?  “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.”  Let us not be bodies without spirits, but instead let us strive to take the very actions that God has made known to us.  In this, we find the life that God has promised.

Rev. Charles A. Layne, Pastor

First Baptist Church

Bunker Hill, IN

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org