Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

I'M NOT AN EVANGELIST

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

I’M NOT AN EVANGELIST
February 26, 2006

TEXT: 2 Timothy 1:3-12

The recognition and application of Spiritual Gifts are vital for Christ’s Church. Without them, we are not growing in personal discipleship nor will any particular church grow. Whether or not you actually take a Spiritual Gifts inventory or survey, if you are not applying the Spiritual Gifts that the Father has given you, you are depriving yourself of a vital dimension of spiritual growth, and you are depriving the church of a much needed resource for expanding ministry.

Now, I know that a lot of us have participated in training to recognize, identify, and use our Spiritual Gifts. Many of us have taken at least one inventory that helps us recognize the Spiritual Gifts God has given to us. I have. And everyone that I have taken have returned for me consistent results. One of those results is that I do not have the specific Spiritual Gift of evangelism. In fact, I am so certain of my character traits and tendencies that I doubt that any survey or inventory I take in the future will result in revealing the Spiritual Gift of evangelism for me. This might not be what you want to hear from your pastor, but I’m not an evangelist!

And you know something else? Having seen the results of other Spiritual Gifts inventories, I know several others who, on the same basis, will say, “I’m not an evangelist.” And because many of us who do not have the specific gift of evangelism also have character traits that tend toward introversion and shyness and solitude, we breathe a sigh of relief as we proclaim inwardly, “Whew! That was a close call. Somebody else can go out and mingle with strangers and get ‘em saved. That’s not what I have to do.”

Before we get too caught up in the party, though, there is something else we need to understand. From one of the Spiritual Gifts study lessons, the Discover Your Gifts handbook reads “to evangelize is to bring the good news of Christ’s salvation to unbelievers. Not all Christians are evangelists, but all believers are called to witness. All Christians whose hearts are in tune with the Father will strongly desire with him... that everyone will “come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9). All Christians share responsibility to carry out the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). All are involved in bringing the good news ‘to the ends of the earth’ (Acts 1:8). All are also called to ‘preach the word’ whenever and wherever there is an opportunity (Acts 8:4).” (Alvin J. Vander Griend, Discover Your Gifts, Grand Rapids: CRC Publications, 1996, p. 89) In fact, the great Dwight L. Moody, who made an historic impact on evangelism in America - and who, by the way, was not a professional, ordained clergyman - once noted that “if this world is going to be reached, I am convinced that it must be done by men and women of average talent. After all, there are comparatively few people in the world who have great talents.” (D. L. Moody, Christian History, no. 25, as quoted in Bible Illustrator, Parsons Technology, “Average Talents,” #12/1997.1789) So, brothers and sisters, I must confess to you that this morning I have been purposefully deceptive with my sermon title because, in reality, none of us can say that “I’m not an evangelist.” Instead, as Paul teaches us from God’s Word, and as other Scripturally based training aids underscore, we must make the admission that “I am an evangelist.”

Paul, in his typical driving style, writes to encourage Timothy. Paul is in jail; Christians are being persecuted; false teachers are bringing confusion and havoc into young churches; Timothy finds himself in the veritable pressure cooker. Into this swirling mix, the seasoned teacher, church planter, and evangelist named Paul sends out this powerful letter to instruct, build up, and encourage the work of Timothy and, through him, other Christians. Outside of our Lord Jesus himself, I do not know of any Christian who had and used as many Spiritual Gifts as Paul. He seems to have had them all - or pretty close.

We read from this portion of the letter, “I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.”

Recall that a couple of Sundays ago I observed that the term “self-control” keeps turning up in the New Testament literature. Here it is again in a very similar form, “self-discipline.” Christians have spiritual power; we have spiritual love; and we have spiritual self-discipline. To refer to the spirit or spiritual does not mean that this is meant to be some part of our life hidden away from the world. Instead, the fact of this knowledge spurs us on to action in our world. In fact, self-discipline here ties the other two, power and love, together. We have been given the self-discipline to apply God’s power and love to situations in the world around us.

Remember that Timothy’s situation in life was not any better than our own; in fact, in many ways we might say it was far worse. The false teachers about whom Paul writes could stir up so much trouble that they could trick the authorities into arresting Timothy and other Christians. The false teachers came in, stirred up trouble, but when Timothy or any other believer defended the faith, then he was made out to be the troublemaker. We see that today, though. There are many who are bringing false teachings of abortion, euthanasia, sexual depravity, and all sorts of other cultural calamities into our society and even into some denominations, then when people with Biblical perspectives and understandings speak out against them, we are made out to be the “bad” guys who are trying to “rule” everyone’s life and make them miserable. It was real dangerous to be a Christian in Timothy’s day, and it may get real dangerous to be a Christian in our day.

In response to all of this, what did Paul have to say? “Hey, cool your jets a little and let the trouble pass over”? “Don’t stir things up right now”? “Cut and run so that you don’t end up like me”? Hey, natural human tendencies. But Paul did not operate from natural human tendencies. He operated from a “spirit of power.” “So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”

One of the most consistently delightful facets of Paul’s writing is his ability to so often encapsulate the entire salvation message in a nutshell - or a gold nugget, if you will. He’s not the only one; we find that in John 3:16, of course. But in nearly every one of Paul’s letter, we find writings similar to this. What is missing? Nothing. Through the power of God, we are saved not because of anything we have done but because of God’s grace given to us in Christ Jesus.

Because of this truth, Paul continues, “And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.” Reminds us of a hymn, doesn’t it? Paul exhorts and encourages Timothy to not be ashamed, too. He exhorts and encourages Timothy to be a herald and an apostle and a teacher as well. He exhorts and encourages Timothy to be an evangelist. He exhorts and encourages born-again Christians to be evangelists.

The term “evangelist” is a reference to one who announces good news. “Gospel” means “message.“ The message to which Paul made reference is the good news that “our Savior, Christ Jesus,… has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.” This is the glorious message which has, in some manner of transmission, been given to us. This is the glorious message which we, in turn, are to give to others. We do not have the privilege of holding on to the good news truth of God’s saving love just because we have not been given the Spiritual Gift of evangelism. The presence of the Gift in some Christians’ lives enables them to testify about Christ in unique situations. Here are some Christians particularly gifted and lifted up for special and unique ministries of evangelism. But no Christian, not even me, can legitimately say that “I’m not an evangelist.” Everything in the New Testament teaches otherwise.

So, since I am an evangelist, what do I do? How do I fulfill this instruction? As always, glad you asked. But this is going to be the topic for next Sunday. This really is a two-part sermon. This morning, we have let God’s Word speak and instruct and encourage. Paul’s message to Timothy is still speaking to all of us “Timothy’s” - all born-again believers - today. No matter what we have at our disposal - voice, sign language, multi-media - to transmit messages today, we have a message to proclaim. And that message is “our Savior, Christ Jesus,… has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”

Recall the words of Dwight L. Moody: “…if this world is going to be reached, I am convinced that it must be done by men and women of average talent. After all, there are comparatively few people in the world who have great talents.” (D. L. Moody, Christian History, no. 25, as quoted in Bible Illustrator, Parsons Technology, “Average Talents,” #12/1997.1789) I am an evangelist… and you are, too. “So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord…”

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

--  To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org