Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Lent Sermons sets

Posted by: phbc <phbc@...>

Dear Friends, 

Lent is coming up, and I am always interested in ideas from other pastors for series of sermons leading up to Easter. Would you be willing to dig up a few sets from the past and share them? Here are some of mine that may jog a few ideas for you...

Series #1.  I titled one set: "Mountain Top Encounters" Some messages were...

FACING THE MOUNTAIN OF TEMPTATION - Mat_04:1-11; [Mar_01:12; Luk_04:1-13] Outline Overcome temptation 1. PHYSICALLY 2. WITH PRINCIPLES 3. w/ POWER OF THE SPIRIT.

MOUNTAIN OF A LESSON MAT_04:23-8:1;   I read the full text of Sermon on the Mount from good, contemporary version. Practiced to be sure to I read it with meaning and feeling.

UP ON A MOUNTAIN, DOWN ON YOUR KNEES LUK_09:28-36 Theme: Prayer OUTLINE As Jesus met with Moses & Elijah, great spiritual leaders of prayer, we should also take time to get "up on the mountain"

A MOUNTAIN OF A MEAL - Joh_06:1-13; Outline - three people saw multiplying loaves: - 1. Philip, uncertain, was shown God's PLAN. 2. Andrew, trying hard, was shown His POWER. The boy, giving it all, was brought to PARTICIPATE.

STANDING ON THE MOUNTAIN OF GLORY - Mar_09:2-10 Set in the Transfiguration. Outline - Jesus 1. gives us INTIMACY. 2. Shows us his glory & ECSTASY. 3. Leads us down the mountain again with a sense of URGENCY.

THE ONE WHO CAME DOWN FOR US - Luk_19:28-44; Outline - Jesus came down the mountain intor Jerusalem. How: v. 29 =in PERSON to you and me. ("towns") v. 30-3 =to keep a PROMISE. ("on a colt") v. 31-34 =as a POTENTATE (king). v. 35-40= to be greeted by "PALMS." (celebration) v. 41-44 = to PLEAD with you and me. = ("wept")

FROM CALVARY WITH LOVE LUK_23:27-33 JOH_19:16-22 a Good Fri message of several "letters" written by people who observed the crucifixion on the hill.

Another series was based on a Bible study titled "Walking with God," written by Rev. William Venable (Rivertree Christian Ministries P.O. Box 7665, Pittsburgh, PA 15214) He's done the study and exegesis. I found this useful as a springboard for a series. Concept [Gk peripateo] = walking with & following Christ.

Finally, I did one Lent series using a "Rock" theme:   

ON THE SOLID ROCK Luk_05:1-11 main text; Outline - Look at Peter the "rock" using Luk_5:10, Luk_8:54 Mat_14:31 Luk_9:20 Mat_16:15 Mat_16:18-19 Mat_16:23 Luke_9:35 Joh_13:8 Luk_22:34 Joh_13:38 Luk_22:46 Joh_21:15 Joh_21:19

FACING FIASCOES WITH A FOUNDATION OF FAITH Mat_07:21-27 HOW TO GO THROUGH LIFE WITH CERTAINTY... A) HEAR HIS WORDS B) PUT THEM INTO PRACTICE

The Stone the Builders Rejected - Mat_21:33-46 OUTLINE parable of the landowner v.2 "cleared it of stones " v.42 "stone the builders rejected" 1. Do you reject Him 2 Do your reject others? 3.

Sometimes I Feel Like Shouting Luk_19:28-44; "the rocks will shout"  Outline (for Palm Sunday) HOW to give Him alleluia 1. With your possessions, (vs. 30-34) 2. With your actions, (vs. 35-36) 3. With your voice, (vs. 37-38) 4. Without any pride (v. 39) 5. With all creation (v.40)

God's Answer to a Grave Situation Mat_28:1-10; Outline - The tombstone's msge: Ths tone is... 1. no longer a symbol of death 27:60 2. no longer part of man's plans 3. Now proclaimed God's victory.

Now.... Would anyone like to share a favorite series you may have?

- Jim Sheldon jcsjms@nb.net