Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

LIVING GOD'S UNSHAKEABLE TRUTH #3/5

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

SERIES: LIVING GOD’S UNSHAKEABLE TRUTH #3/5

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKING

July 27, 2008

TEXT:  Revelation 3:19-22

There is an advertisement for an automobile company that features a cartoon character who “knocks” on the TV screen and says something like, “Hi!  I’m Mr. Opportunity, and I’m knocking.”  The purpose is, of course, to advertise a time limited sale for particular vehicles and to remind potential customers that if they don’t respond by the deadline, then the opportunity will be gone.  Well, Mr. Opportunity must be doing OK because he has been around for some time now.  He keeps coming back.

Our Vacation Bible School for 2008, “Living God’s Unshakeable Truth,” begins tomorrow evening.  Each lesson features one of God’s unshakeable truths.  So far, I have delivered sermons on two of the truths: that God is real and that Jesus is God’s Son.  On the third evening, and in today’s sermon, we will learn that Jesus is the only way.

“The only way” refers to the means of salvation, or reconciliation, to God.  Everyone who does not reject the truth of God outright recognizes that no human lives up to the holy righteousness of God.  We can all recognize people we have known or learned about who live very high ideals, and are about as close to perfect as we can imagine anyone being, but when compared directly to God, they still aren’t there.  They are still not holy and righteous.  Adam and Eve walked with God in the Garden, yet they still failed the test of perfect obedience – and they had the simplest test of anyone I know.  One rule – that’s it, but they blew it.  Abraham, called by God to be the father of God’s children of Israel, failed to live up to God’s standards numerous times.  So did Moses.  King David, whom God favored, had some very big failures.  The people of Israel disregarded God’s holy instructions many times.  The Bible reveals flaws in all of Jesus’ chosen disciples.  Even Paul, in spite of his remarkable humble service to the Lord, Jesus Christ, exhibited times of human failure.  For instance, he allowed frustration and personal disagreement to fracture relationships with other believers.  Even Paul was human.

Everyone who is not an atheist recognizes that humans fall terribly short of the holiness of God and must, somehow, be reconciled.  The “somehow” is where we run into differences and difficulties.  I was thinking about how many different religious theories there are for salvation, and I came up with only three basic ways.

There is universalism, which would have us believe that every single man, woman, and child ever born is saved.  Everyone is saved regardless of belief or action in this life.  Universalists who refer to the Bible point to Scriptures like 1 Corinthians 15:22, “For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.”  The claim is that “all” in both instances carries the literal meaning of entirely everyone.  Other select verses also contain similar language.  Those defending universalism, then, take such verses and argue that “all will be saved.”

This theology is errant for many reasons, and I won’t delve into all the details this morning.  Simply put, it fails to account for the contextual relationship of selective verses with the entire Bible, and it fails to acknowledge acceptable usage of the word “all” in the Greek language.  In Matthew 22:14, at the end of the parable of the wedding banquet, Jesus ended with this observation: “For many are invited [or called], but few are chosen.”  God does not want to see anyone lost, but neither can He ignore His own righteous justice.  If God was just going to universally save everyone, then there would be no need for Jesus.  Jesus would not be “the only way,” as he stated in John 14:6-7 – “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.  From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”  It is impossible for God to declare the unshakeable truth that Jesus is the only way, and at the same time grant salvation to anyone who fails to enter into God’s grace through belief in His Son.

Another religious theory of salvation is works.  This has been around for a long time and, in fact, is one of the major marks that differentiate Christianity from every other religion.  As far as I am aware, every other religion requires adherence to moral codes for the purpose of attaining enough righteousness to be saved.  The topic of works righteousness has been hotly contested throughout the history of the Christian church.  It is still with us today in various forms, and I suspect that it will be a debated topic for the entire life of the Church.  It, too, is not without its Scriptural support.  Proponents of works righteousness who refer to the Bible like to point to the book of James to substantiate their doctrine.  For example.  “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?  Can such faith save him?”  There is even Jesus, who told hearers that, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”  (Matthew 7:21)  Those all sound like works righteousness.

Again, though, we must take these and similar verses in the context of the entirety of God’s Word.  And, again, we must recognize that if God’s truth about Jesus being the only way is to be unshakeable, then Jesus must be the only way.  If it is human works that save us, then God has no need to send a Savior for us.  The book of Romans is just one source filled with the refutation that works of righteousness saves us.  Romans 11:6, “And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.”  This is further confirmed in Ephesians 2:8-9, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.”

Since neither universalism nor works righteousness save us, then what does?  Well, I have already given the answer to that.  Actually, God has already given the answer to that.  “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.’” (John 14:6)  This is God’s unshakeable truth.  And it is God’s Good News, for it neither violates God’s justice nor condemns man to the uncertainty of never knowing if the right work has been fulfilled.  It is a certainty that salvation is given through Jesus Christ, and it is a certainty that we are saved by our belief in Jesus Christ as our Savior.

The verse in Revelation 3:20 is familiar to us because, in part, the well-known painting depicting Jesus standing outside a door and knocking.  “Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”  This gives us a vivid way to picture God’s invitation.  God wants everyone to be saved, but not everyone wants to be saved.  God provides the means of salvation, His only Son, because we do not have the righteousness to save ourselves.  Jesus is the only way.

I tell you today that opportunity has been knocking for a lot longer than a cartoon character advertising automobile sales.  I do not have a problem with someone getting a good deal, but you need to be looking for a good life instead if you have never received Christ as Savior.  You need to be looking for eternal life, and that opportunity is knocking.

Most people who know me will tell you that I am a cautious person.  When I get those phone calls or e-mails telling me that I need to decide right now on the “opportunity of a lifetime;” well, I just let those opportunities head right on down the road.  They can keep on going, because almost always they are not legitimate opportunities.  They are frequently scams.  Now that doesn’t mean that a lot of opportunities are not out there; but listen to those who counsel that if something looks or sounds too good to be true, then it probably is not true.

However, I want you to be perfectly clear today that when Jesus knocks – when the opportunity to receive salvation presents itself – then you better listen.  When Jesus is knocking, it really is opportunity knocking.  Not one of us here this morning can make an absolute prediction about our own life, much less anyone else’s.  I had no indication when I woke up last Wednesday that by five o’clock in the afternoon I would have a temperature over one-hundred-one degrees, but I did.  I cannot tell anyone when my life on this earth is going to be ended, but I can tell you with uncertainty that my life with Christ will be everlasting because Jesus is my Savior.  After many missed moments, one day opportunity knocked, and I accepted, and I am saved.  That is God’s unshakeable truth.

And so have many of you.  But if you have not, then know this morning that opportunity is knocking.  Jesus is knocking.  And because Jesus is the only way, you can confess him as your Savior.  I remembered this past week something that I was forgetting.  During Lent, I preached a sermon series about the mess we are in.  And in those sermons, I introduced the ABCs of salvation because I was going to revisit them for VBS.  And I forgot.  Until now.

Our VBS publisher uses the ABCs to express the message of salvation to children.  Whether shared with children or adults, the purpose is the same: to share the message of salvation and to provide the opportunity to accept Jesus as Savior.  Let us be thankful that God is so merciful toward us that He makes salvation as simple as A, B, C.  Admit to God that you are a sinner and repent, meaning turn away from sin.  Believe that Jesus is God’s Son and accept God’s gift of forgiveness and removal of sin.  Confess your faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

“Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”  Don’t let this opportunity pass you by.

Rev. Charles A. Layne

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

179 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN 46914

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org