Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

LIVING GOD'S UNSHAKEABLE TRUTH #4/5

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

SERIES: LIVING GOD’S UNSHAKEABLE TRUTH #4/5

FACING THE WORD OF GOD

August 3, 2008

TEXT:  Jeremiah 36:8-18

One of the ads for a television tells us, and I quote, “Change your TV; change your life.”  That really caught my attention.  I can think of a number of things that can change a life, but I never thought about placing a TV on my list, much less making it a priority on anyone’s list.  Usually, speakers and story tellers like to build up to their finale – their big point.  But this morning, I’m going to make the big point right away.

There is something that changes your life – and it ain’t a new TV, I don’t care what brand it is.  What changes your life is believing in the saving grace of God through His Son, Jesus Christ.  It’s all about our Vacation Bible School A-B-Cs.  Admit to God that you are a sinner and repent, meaning turn away from sin.  Believe that Jesus is God’s Son and accept God’s gift of forgiveness and removal of sin.  Confess your faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.  That’s what will change our lives.  Opening up our lives and allowing Jesus to live in our hearts will change our lives now and forever.  So there’s the big point already.

Here’s a question that has been raised throughout the ages, though.  How do we know about God and His plan of salvation?  How do we know that this is truth?  Should you just take Pastor Chuck’s word?  Or, perhaps, some big-time TV preacher?  Well, of course not.  Our source of knowledge about God and all of His plans for us are found in a much more authoritative source than I, or any preacher, can provide on my own.  You know, of course, that I am talking about the Bible.  God’s unshakeable truth for the fourth evening of VBS was “the Bible is God’s Word.”

One of the features of VBS lessons is that they usually tell so many Bible stories that are familiar to us.  Certainly, we have a lesson about Jesus’ death and resurrection.  That is always a vital topic to cover.  We had a lesson involving Moses and the burning bush.  There was an evening where we shared the story about the Good Samaritan.  Those are all good, solid, familiar Bible lessons.  But one evening’s lesson was one that is not quite so familiar.  I had not read this chapter for a long time, and I have never used it as a sermon Scripture.

Jeremiah 36 gives us the account of Jeremiah, the prophet we know quite a bit about, and Baruch, his scribe who we don’t know anything about.  Our familiarity with names tells the story.  Jeremiah remains a name we use frequently still today.  Anyone here given any thought to naming their son Baruch?  Baruch is certainly not a bad guy in the Bible; he is just a rather unfamiliar guy in the Bible.

But the point of chapter 36 is not to dwell on Baruch.  The point of Jeremiah 36 is to give us some insight into the Word of God and into the responsibility of any person who hears the Word of God.  As was unfortunately typical, the people of Israel had fallen away from God.  They were stubbornly disobedient.  As a result, God was preparing to inflict disaster on them as punishment and for correction.  But before He did that, He told Jeremiah, “Take a scroll and write on it all the words I have spoken to you concerning Israel, Judah and all the other nations from the time I began speaking to you in the reign of Josiah till now.  Perhaps when the people of Judah hear about every disaster I plan to inflict on them, each of them will turn from his wicked way; then I will forgive their wickedness and their sin.” (Jeremiah 36:2-3)  Those who enjoy accusing God of being cruel need to pay attention to verses like this.  God first and foremost desires to forgive us of our wickedness and sin.  Punishment and correction are only last resorts.  God tells us this through his Word.

This is where Baruch comes in.  “So Jeremiah called Baruch son of Neriah, and while Jeremiah dictated all the words the LORD had spoken to him, Baruch wrote them on the scroll.”  Baruch first acted as a scribe to Jeremiah, writing the words that were dictated to him.  This is one of the relatively few places in the Bible where we are given a glimpse of the mechanics, so to speak, of how men came to receive and know God’s Word.  Jeremiah received the Word from God and spoke them to Baruch to write down in a scroll.  This was a very careful process.

But this was not Baruch’s only role in this event.  Jeremiah was restricted from going to the Lord’s temple, so he sent Baruch to read from the scroll during a time when the people gathered for a time of fasting.  Baruch read from the scroll, and it had an impact upon some who heard, including some of the king’s officials.

One of the first things that I notice is that they did not argue about the authority of what they heard.  They asked Baruch if they came from Jeremiah, and when he replied yes, they did not debate about whether God really spoke to Jeremiah or not.  Debating about whether to accept or reject the words as from God was not an issue.  They recognized the authority of the Word of God.

The issue was not whether the words had the authority of God.  The issue was what to do when facing the Word of God.  To their credit, the officials who heard the Word showed enough concern to take the scroll to King Jehoiakim.  Even though the son of King Josiah, a king of Judah who honored God, Jehoiakim was a king who did evil in the eyes of God.  As was typical in those days, the attitude of Israel toward God was demonstrated by their king.  If the king followed and honored God, then so did his followers.  If the king did evil and disobeyed God, so did his followers.  Sadly, all too often Israel’s kings disobeyed God.

When these officials faced the Word of God, they took it seriously.  They knew they had to bring this before the king.  They hoped that their king would also take the Word of God seriously and turn from his wickedness.

Unfortunately, King Jehoiakim displayed a different response.  “The king sent Jehudi to get the scroll, and Jehudi brought it from the room of Elishama the secretary and read it to the king and all the officials standing beside him.  It was the ninth month and the king was sitting in the winter apartment, with a fire burning in the firepot in front of him.  Whenever Jehudi had read three or four columns of the scroll, the king cut them off with a scribe’s knife and threw them into the firepot, until the entire scroll was burned in the fire.  The king and all his attendants who heard all these words showed no fear, nor did they tear their clothes.  Even though Elnathan, Delaiah and Gemariah urged the king not to burn the scroll, he would not listen to them.  Instead, the king commanded Jerahmeel, a son of the king, Seraiah son of Azriel and Shelemiah son of Abdeel to arrest Baruch the scribe and Jeremiah the prophet.  But the Lord had hidden them.” (Jeremiah 36:21-26)

Everyone who faces the Word of God faces a decision.  The Word of God is either accepted or rejected.  Not everyone responds as radically as did King Jehoiakim, but many have.  There have been those in power who have attempted to destroy the Word of God and even His believers by fire and other terrible methods of torture and death.  Yet, even to this very day, the Word of God has not been destroyed.  “After the king burned the scroll containing the words that Baruch had written at Jeremiah’s dictation, the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: ‘Take another scroll and write on it all the words that were on the first scroll, which Jehoiakim king of Judah burned up.’” (Jeremiah 36:27-28)

Just as in Jeremiah’s day, God refuses to let man destroy His eternal Word.  And, just as in Jeremiah’s day, all of us must make our decision when facing the Word of God.  Even though disaster did not strike for several more years, the time of God’s punishment did fall upon Israel for their wicked disobedience.  When they faced the Word of God, they rejected it.

What about us?  Do we really believe that a different TV will change our life?  I hope not, but unfortunately, I get the sad impression that quite a few folks out there would rather try to change their lives by changing their TVs instead of accepting the Word of God.  In fact, many of our fellow citizens across this land believe that the Sunday morning political analysis show they are watching right now is significantly more relevant than the Word of God.  Not a wise choice at all.  God’s unshakeable truth is that the Bible is God’s Word.

Facing the Word of God means we must choose to accept or reject God’s invitation to live according to His will.  It means that we must choose to accept or reject His invitation to a new life with Him.  It means that we must choose to accept or reject the A-B-Cs of His grace.  Admit to God that you are a sinner and repent, meaning turn away from sin.  Believe that Jesus is God’s Son and accept God’s gift of forgiveness and removal of sin.  Confess your faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.  When facing the Word of God, this is what will change our life.

Rev. Charles A. Layne

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

179 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN 46914

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org