Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Potassium question

Posted by: amazinggraze <amazinggraze@...>

Ok, I was hoping that someone would have some ideas here, or some knowledge that I can't seem to find. 🙂 There is a woman who is in her late 70s or early 80s. I have befriended her. She is very lonely and so when we talk, I hear about EVERYTHING. 🙂 She just went to the doctor last week. She has had low potassium levels and been taking prescription drugs to bring it up for the last 1.5 years. I looked up and found that we need 99mg of potassium a day. They are giving her 750 mg. a day, and she is still low. She has also been eating foods high in potassium. I asked her about her sodium intake and it seems fairly normal. Not really high or really low. I did read that any excess potassium is gotten rid of through the bowels, and kidneys. I also read that the older we get that our body slows down on potassium. However, they feel it is low enough to warrant keeping her on the drugs. Does anyone have any clues or ideas here? I was thinking that I heard potassium had to be taken with something else for the body to use it properly like calcium and magnesium. I just can't remember where I read it or heard it to go back and check what it was. Thanks for any help you can give.

Wanting to please my Lord and Savior,
Marci, Adopted List Momma
Amazing Graze Farms
http://www.amazinggrazefarms.faithweb.com

Keep striving to be the best Keeper At Home you can be!!