Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

PRAGMATIC MYSTIC

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

PRAGMATIC MYSTIC
June 11, 2006

TEXT: James 2:14-19

I cannot remember exactly when I came up with the term “pragmatic mystic” to describe my practice of the Christian faith. I think that it was during one of the Church Alive training conferences hosted by our Region, the American Baptist Churches of Indiana and Kentucky. It very easily could have been one of those conferences that sparked this way of describing one way of how a Christian can walk with the Lord. I am, or strive to be, a “pragmatic mystic.”

By now, anyone of you who has never heard me speak of this before is asking, “What in the world is he talking about?” And those of you who have heard me speak of this before are answering, “We don’t have any idea, either.” I’ll try to explain, and I do have a reason for using and explaining these terms this morning.

A mystic is one who is involved in mysticism. Some of the ways that Peter Angeles, in his Dictionary of Christian Theology, are “the feeling of utter dependence upon a higher reality that is the source of all things; the ecstatic feeling of union or oneness with God; a confrontation with a Divine Presence or the sense of its presence… Some of the characteristics of mysticism: (1) A feeling of oneness, total unity, completeness; (2) a feeling of unique joy, euphoria, harmony, well-being, ecstasy…” (Peter Angeles, Dictionary of Christian Theology, San Francisco: Harper & Row Publishers, 1985, pp. 140-141)

By now you’re really concerned. Your pastor has gone off the deep end and into some new age stuff, or maybe he‘s been reading a Harry Potter book. Well, that’s one of the problems with mysticism. It does not apply to only the Christian faith. Yes, mystical experiences abound in new age material, Harry Potter stories, which I’ve never read, and every other religion around. Because of that, it has gotten a bad rap (i.e., reputation). But mystical experiences are also found in Christianity. Turning to 2 Corinthians 12:2-4, we read of Paul’s description of a mystical experience, which many scholars say that was Paul’s own experience. “I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know - God knows. And I know that this man - whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows - was caught up to Paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that a man is not permitted to tell.” If this was not a part of God’s Word, I would be moved to ask what this guy was smoking. However, this is clearly a Christian mystic experience. The entire book of Revelation is a mystic experience recorded by John.

Mysticism and mystic experiences are difficult to understand because they are so intensely personal. John no doubt understood his vision better than we can understand it. Moses understood his encounter with God, a mystic experience, but his people were scared to death by it. Moses had to cover his face because those who did not have that mystic experience could not withstand the radiance from his encounter with God.

I hope that this is not foreign to you. Christians should have mystic experiences with God. If you have ever been caught up with a new insight from a Bible reading or devotion or Christian song, then you have had a mystic experience. If you have been taken to a new relationship in your walk with God, you have had a mystic experience. Christians should have mystic experiences.

The problem with Christian mysticism is that once we have experienced it, we don’t want to leave it. Who would? More than likely, God has allowed us to be closer to Him than ever before in those moments. No believer wants to leave that. No believer wants to leave Paradise. It’s certainly not unusual throughout the history of the Christian faith for men and women to give up all other pursuits in order to try to engage in mystic experiences all the time. However, while our Christian journey brings periods of mystic experience, the Christian faith is not all about mystic experience. This is where the other part of my self description applies.

Pragmatism is probably simpler to understand than mysticism. Being pragmatic means that one is active and practical. That’s not too hard to figure out. Say a person wants to stop drinking. It’s a habit in his life, and it’s ruining his life, and he needs to stop. A pragmatic thing to do would be to quit going to bars. Don’t be around the stuff; a pragmatic thing to do. Say a person wants to get better job. A pragmatic step to take would be to turn off the TV or put down the video game and go to classes or vocational training where new skills can be learned and practiced. If a person heats his home with fire wood, he is pragmatic if he chops the wood and gets it ready before the blizzard hits. See, pragmatism is easier to understand than mysticism.

Contemplating these two realities of Christian behavior prompted me to combine them. I believe without any doubt that God performed every miracle told in the Bible, and that He can still perform those miracles, or any other, this very day. God can accomplish what He needs to do without my interference. God’s response to Job makes this very point. “Who is this that darkens my counsel without words of knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand.” (Job 38:2-4)

I believe that God has called His followers to active obedience. It’s not up to us to be kicked back waiting for God to do the things He has commissioned us to do. For whatever reason and for whatever purpose, God bestows upon His human creation the responsibility to do God’s will. Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 1:26-29: “Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.” See. We have no excuses: lack of knowledge, lack of money, lack of strength, lack of power are all jettisoned as excuses for not actively doing God’s will. If we have any of those things, then we apply them to God’s Kingdom work, too. We are commissioned by God to be actively obedient to what He has told us to do.

I’ve used this joke before in quite a few settings, but it sums up what I mean by “pragmatic mystic.” A familiar scenario: a low lying area is threatened by heavy rains and a rising river. Dangerous flooding is predicted, so buses are sent in to enable the evacuation. One old-timer, when told that he needs to evacuate, responded that he had lived there all his life; he had seen floods come and go; and that as a Christian, he believed that God was going to protect him. Sure enough, the river rises and spills over its bank and begins flooding the homes. Ground floors fill up with water, and those diehards who have retreated to their second floor call out for rescue. Boats are sent in, and most of the stranded people pile into them. Our old-timer, though, sticks to his story: “I’ve lived here all my life; I’ve been through floods; and God is going to protect me.” Well, worst flooding ever; the second floors of homes get flooded out; the remaining stubborn few have crawled onto their rooftops; and still the river has not crested. A helicopter was sent, and the remaining folks climb aboard… except for our old-timer. “Nope, not going anywhere!” he shouted back. “I’ll make it through. Always have, and God will protect me.” The inevitable happens. The flood waters rise above rooftop level, and the old-timer is swept away. Suddenly finding himself in heaven, before the throne of God, the old-timer gives God a perplexed look and asks, “Lord! What happened? I trusted You to protect me. I’ve always trusted You, and you’ve never failed me! What happened?” God, taking a deep breath and giving His long-time servant an equally perplexed look, answered, “I sent a bus, a boat, and a helicopter… what else did you want?”

It is good for us to believe in God and in His Word and in His promises. There is nothing better we can do. It is good for us to walk closely with God in prayer and study and fellowship. We must do these things as growing believers. That’s the “mystic” part. But we must also take hold of what God tells us to do and do the obvious! That’s the “pragmatic” part. “Pragmatic mystic.”

By now you may be thinking, “Pastor Chuck has been talking all morning, and he hasn’t said anything about the verses in James.” Well, that’s right. James is one of those books that some people try to point out as contradictory to Paul’s letters and to the Protestant doctrine of salvation by faith, not by works. In fact, James 2:24 baldly and uncomfortably states, “You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.” What’s that all about?

I am certain that James was a “pragmatic mystic.” He is a person who knew Jesus personally; some say that he is a brother of Jesus. He knew that Jesus shed his blood for our sins. He knew that through faith in Jesus’ sacrifice we are saved. What he witnessed, also, was others who made this profession of faith and then go on ignoring God’s instructions. They may have been studying and meditating and worshiping and praying, but they weren’t applying God’s instruction to their lives. The mystic side of James acknowledges that. “Fine. You have faith. Faith is good. But what good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?” There’s the pragmatism. “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?”

The application is different than the bus, boat, and helicopter illustration, but the connection is still there. If we’re going to declare faith in God and pray to Him and worship Him, then we also must also honor the instructions He has given and do them. We must be “pragmatic mystics.” Do we look around on some Sunday mornings and think, “Wow, there’s not many here today. More people need to come to church.” Well, have we invited anyone? Have you looked around and thought, “Wow, we could sure use a weekday children’s ministry.” Well, have you considered leading one or working with others to make one happen? I believe that God can bring us people on Sunday mornings and children on weekdays, but I also believe that He has chosen us to act as the hands and feet of His will. I believe that is what being a “pragmatic mystic” is all about.

Hey, by all means, let’s pray to God for His miracles. Let’s pray for souls to be saved and for people’s lives to be changed by the Spirit of God. We must do that in faith, or it won’t happen. Let’s believe that God will always, always keep his promises. But let’s not miss the boat - or the bus or the helicopter - when God shows us His answer. In fact, God has shown us His answer to most of our requests over and over. What can we ask of God that has not already been covered in the Bible? We really don’t have to worry about our faith. When we believe in Jesus for our salvation, and as we grow in the wisdom of his Word, our faith is secure. What we need to do is to not miss climbing onboard His will for us and doing what He instructs us to do. “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, ‘You have faith; I have deeds.’ Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.” That’s being a “pragmatic mystic.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org