Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY
January 29, 2006

TEXT: Matthew 22:15-22

Since I have been on a roll, I am led to address another portion of God’s Word that leads to considering the impact of Christianity on public policy. Two Sundays ago, I preached about the unity we celebrate as Christians. That gets into politics a little because we have to deal with a pluralistic society. Last Sunday, I preached about the Christian’s role in opposing abortion on demand. One cannot help but be political about that in light that there are quite a few politicians who determine federal justices’ qualifications upon the basis of their personal support for abortion. That puts it into the political arena quickly.

As I was praying about and studying for today’s sermon, I kept being drawn to some of the legislative bills being brought to the floor of our Indiana State Assembly. Newsletters and e-mails from the Indiana Right to Life, the Indiana Family Institute, and a few other sources have been keeping my attention and interest in that direction. Reflection on some of the Scriptures that address politics, or that have political applications, made it evident that I should address these current events today.

This is always a tricky event because I have no interest in trying to force God into some sort of image of our political system. And, I am well aware that there are Christians who are involved in nearly all of our nation’s political parties. At the same time, it is easy to see from Scripture that God’s people have a responsibility in the public arena, and part of that is accomplished through our political processes.

It is a mistake to develop a philosophy that Christians should not be involved in politics. One of the first things that God did for the Hebrew people after they were saved from the Egyptians was to form a government. Exodus 18:24-26: “Moses listened to his father-in-law and did everything he said. He chose capable men from all Israel and made them leaders of the people, officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. They served as judges for the people at all times. The difficult cases they brought to Moses, but the simple ones they decided for themselves.” Clearly, the ability to maintain law and order was important to God and to the Hebrews. Consequently, they formed a government.

Moses’ government was different than the Roman government in which Jesus lived, and they were both different than the American government in which we live. So I am not saying or implying that we must have the right, or a certain kind, of government in order to be Christian. Neither am I saying or implying that we have to be a certain political party in order to be Christian. The Christian faith is above both government and politics. No nation, political system, government, or economy has a monopoly on Christianity. I believe that in his response to those trying to trap him with the question about taxes, Jesus makes it clear that our faith in him is not tied to any government, political system, or nation. Most simply put, I would argue, Christianity is not dependent upon any system in our world. In response to the question concerning paying taxes, Jesus pointed to the inscription on the coin itself and answered, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”

This is why any person can have a Christian faith no matter what government he or she lives under. We recognize that some governments make it more difficult to believe and live as a Christian, and some governments make it easier; but, anyone who comes to God through the saving grace of Jesus is a Christian no matter where they live. Communism, totalitarianism, democracies, republics, parliaments, monarchies - none of them matter with regard to an individual’s faith. None of them can stop an individual from experiencing saving grace.

This is why the Pharisees could not trap Jesus in this attempt. They were thinking that he would have to compromise his relationship with God and with his Hebrew heritage if he taught that the taxes needed to be paid. Of course, if he spoke against paying the taxes, they could turn him into the Roman authorities. That is the reason that Jesus called them hypocrites. “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me?“ Jesus was not going to fall for it. He refused to be ensnared by their false logic. Our relationship with God is not bound by or to any government or political system. Jesus was neither a “good Jew” nor a “good Roman” for believing in God. He was simply faithful to the Father. Allegiance to Jerusalem or Rome or any other human government did not effect his spiritual relationship. Neither does it effect ours. The Pharisees recognized Jesus’ lesson and “were amazed.” Likewise, we are not necessarily “good Americans” for believing in Jesus Christ. We are Christians. Neither are we “good Christians” for being Americans. We are Christians because of our relationship with Jesus Christ. After all, when the jailer fell before Paul and Silas after the earthquake set the prisoners free and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”, they did not reply, “You must become a good Jew, or Roman, or some other man-made system.” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved…” (Acts 16:30-31) Therefore, let us be assured that our faith is in Jesus Christ, not in our government or politics.

That does not mean, however, that Christians do not have a public responsibility. In the system of government in which we are privileged to live in our communities, state, and nation, our public responsibility means that we do become involved in the process of government. This doesn’t mean that everyone is to run for office or become a lobbyist. It does mean that we maintain an awareness of the bills before our legislatures and be an influence to the extent that we can in determining the kinds of bills that are passed into law.

Right now, the Indiana Assembly is in session. Right now, bills are being debated that may or may not become law. Right now, matters of state business are being handled in our state House and Senate. Right now, our state Representatives and Senators are being influenced in how they should vote and settle matters.

Christians, you are a part of the process. Not attempting to positively influence and support your state congresspersons does not mean you are removed from the process; it merely means that you are not exercising your public responsibility. When Jesus said, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s,” he did not mean for believers to sit back and idly allow evil and disobedient forces to have the final say in our personal or corporate lives. God has given us a wonderful gift of representative government; woe upon us when we fail to do our part and effectively witness and minister to our communities and state.

How many times have you heard asked, or asked yourself, “But I’m only one person; what can I do? I can’t influence or impact anyone!” Please, do not accept such short-sightedness as your final say. Just a few weeks ago, amidst much fanfare, a television show called “The Book of Daniel” was broadcast. From the advertisements alone, I discerned that the show was aimed at providing a false portrayal of Christians and, worse, of the Savior Himself. To those who want to tell me, “Well how can you judge the show if you never watched it?” my answer is simple. If the show was different than portrayed by the ads, the network should have run ads accurately indicating what the show was about. I also trust the many Christian groups that monitor entertainment content; none of them had anything positive to commend the show for. Anyway, Christians were offended by this show and rightly so. Now, there were no doubt those who believed that they could do nothing to stop this program. After all, the entertainment industry has billions of dollars and access to the public for promotion. What can I do to stop a TV show? Well, David beat Goliath again! Through letters, phone calls, and e-mails to the network and sponsors, Christians expressed their opposition. The show has been cancelled! So don’t tell me that we have no power in our witness, testimony, and ministry!

My point is that we Christians need to continue to be involved in the formation of public policies, especially within the sphere of government. Included on this year’s legislative slate are several abortion bills. Clinics would be required to tell Indiana women seeking abortions that life begins at conception and that the fetus may feel pain during the procedure. Research provided by Indiana Right to Life say that a fetus can start to feel pain at seven weeks. No surprise that Planned Parenthood opposes these measures, citing claims that nerve endings are not fully developed until twenty weeks. I’m not certain why they bother making this case since they promote abortion on demand at any point in the pregnancy up to and including the time of delivery. The House public policy committee also advanced another bill that would require abortion providers to meet certain physical building standards. (“House panel advances several abortion bills,“ Kokomo Tribune, 1/27/2006, p. A5)

Another bill that the Indiana Family Institute, a Christian organization, supports is the “Covenant Marriage” bill. If passed, this bill gives couples seeking a marriage license the opportunity to enter a covenant marriage agreement. The couple agrees to pre-marital counseling and gives up their access to “no-fault” divorce. The purpose of this proposal is to offer couples the opportunity to strengthen their marriage. In states where similar legislation has been enacted, the physical, emotional, and social costs of divorce has decreased. The economic impact of a single divorce has been figured to be about $50,000. (cited at the North East Pastor’s Roundtable, The Chapel, Ft. Wayne, by Indiana Family Institute, November 7, 2005)

In addition to the bills already being planned for committee debate, the Indiana House is dealing with the Circuit Court ruling in which sectarian prayer, and specifically Christian prayer as spelled out in the presiding judge’s ruling, is not allowed to open the daily session. I have not heard lately where it stands, but many of our state Representatives on both sides of the political aisle oppose this restriction on prayer.

I freely admit that I am being political this morning. But I am doing so not because I want to replace God’s Word with politics, but because we can make an impact on our world for God’s Kingdom through our political processes. It is not a responsibility that we should want to avoid. In fact, we can hardly help but to be involved in our political processes if we are speaking out in Christ pleasing ways. Voice your opposition to abortion, as I demonstrated last week that all Christians should, and you will find yourself immediately embroiled in politics! So use them to enlarge God’s Kingdom while you can. After all, the time may very well come when the Christian has no voice in shaping our public policy. That has certainly happened before in the history of Christianity, and is even happening today in some places on our globe.

So what do I propose? That everyone run out and apply to run for office? Hardly. My suggestions are in reality much simpler but no less serious. First, be in prayer for the Indiana Assembly as they work through the state’s business this year. Pray for these pro-life and other bills that Christians can support to come through committee and reach the floor of the House and Senate. Pray that they will be passed.

Second, know who your Representatives and Senators are and pray for them. The Indiana Family Institute suggests that we make personal contact with them, letting them know that we are praying for them, supporting the job they are doing, and letting them know what we support. I guarantee you that Planned Parenthood, the ICLU, and other lobbyists are getting face time with them right now. We common folks may want to get in touch with them personally when the Assembly is not in session. They are more accessible then. By the way, our Representative in the House is Richard McClain, Bill Friend, or Eric Turner. Depends where you live in the county. Those in Pipe Creek township are represented by Richard McClain. Our Senator is Thomas Weatherwax. Again, be encouragers to them and their work.

Third, know what bills are being considered. Trying to keep track of and understand all of them can be too big of a chore, so at least know about the ones in the areas of interest. Keep up with the organizations and ministries that keep up with legislation. In the February newsletter, today’s bulletin, and the e-mail format of today’s sermon, I have included contact information for some of these organizations. If you should need more information, contact me. I’ll get it to you.

Jesus made a distinction between Caesar and God in order to avoid the trap that the Pharisees were trying to spring on him. But Jesus never avoided his public responsibility. In his day, a lot of politics took place in the marketplaces and the open area of the Temple, and Jesus used those forums to express God’s truth. It follows that his people today should also let God’s voice be heard in the forums made available to us.

In his farewell address following his second term as President, George Washington said, “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens.” If Christians are not going to execute our public responsibility, then we can be sure that others will who want to remove Christian morals and ethics from the public square.

Resources:

Indiana House of Representatives:

Richard W. McClain, District 24, http://www.in.gov/24

Bill Friend, District 23, http://www.in.gov/h23

P. Eric Turner, District 32, http://www.in.gov/32

Indiana Senate:

Thomas K. Weatherwax, District 18, http://www.in.gov/s18

Indiana Right to Life, http://www.lovethemboth.com

Indiana Family Institute, http://www.hoosierfamily.org

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana