Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Re: Jacqui/angora goats/kittens!

Posted by: smarties <smarties@...>

Hi Julie,

We just aquired an angora goat (free yearling...cute as a button!). Does anyone on the list have angora goats
Hi Julie, I do.

and if you do, do you shear them in the spring, or do you brush them out?

If it is a purebred, and not cross-bred to a non-fleece goat, it will need to be sheared. Angora goats should grow mohair at the rate of 1" per month, so you will have six inches of grow each time you shear.

Do you like working with the fiber from the angora goats?

Mohair is wonderful. Very lusturious and soft. It is called the diamond fiber because of it's strength and luster.

Jacqui, being I have sheep, llama's and now an angora goat (along with several other breeds of goats), I am thinking about purchasing a spinning wheel. I have no idea how to use one and know nothing about them. Do you still sell them?

Yes I do. I sell Ashford Spinning Wheels. I'm not sure about export fees. Have you ever mail ordered anything from Canada, I guess I should check into. With our dollar being what it is, you can get a good deal on a wheel. Send me your mailing address and I will get a brochure off to you. Deanna has a Ashford Traveller(same as mine), you can ask her what she thinks of it too. You can also go to Ashford's website and check out the wheels they make at http://www.ashford.co.nz
Toodles,
Jacqui