Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RE: On Sci Fi (and old rules!)

Posted by: joerevesz <joerevesz@...>

Hi Jason,

Yes, we have started our version of Star Frontiers 😉  But it is not very far along.  I plan on not working on it until the Second Edition is out.

There are no detailed plans on what it will include, other than fighting the dragons and DCs and their schemes among the stars.

Joe

From: dragonraid@welovegod.org [mailto:dragonraid@welovegod.org] On Behalf Of Jason Scannell
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:33 PM
To: dragonraid@welovegod.org
Subject: [DragonRaid] On Sci Fi (and old rules!)

I figured I would fork another topic for the fun of it.

I haven't done *too* much sci fi related RPG playing, but I did want to mention something that seems relevant to the current discussion. Way back in the day, 1974 I believe, the folks that made D&D already had their first sci fi RPG. I'll pause now to say, for those who don't want to mix orcs and aliens, you may just be better off taking those ideas to a different, yet related system. I would triage it as a second priority behind DR 2.0, but if there are good ideas, shelf them instead of trashing them.

Now as far as "old school" fantasy goes, it used to be that if you were reading a "fantasy" or "science fiction" novel, there was little to no dividing line in genre. You could have dragons, laser beams, wizards, and spaceships all in one story. There are a handful of games that mix those elements, but they tend to be sidelined to the mainstream games.

All of that to say, is there a way to cull out the sci fi elements from the DR revision so folks like me can see what they were, and maybe set a longer term goal of a second game?

Also, if the wheels turn too slowly, I would just throw it out there that I would be up for helping develop such a game, should there be a few others out there willing to put in some work.

--
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: dragonraid-unsubscribe@welovegod.org