Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RESISTING RESISTANCE

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

Note: This sermon is one of three messages delivered at the Bunker Hill Festival Community Worship Service. The other two were delivered by my colleagues in the other two Bunker Hill Churches.

RESISTING RESISTANCE

June 24, 2007

Text: Acts 5:33-42

For the simple act of telling others about Jesus, the apostles faced enraged members of the Jewish legal council.  The apostles faced death – literally.  Even after the members of this ruling council were convinced to not seek to put them to death, the apostles were still flogged.  That means that they were cruelly whipped and beaten.  It was not an easy task to be a Christian witness then.  Nor has it been an easy task throughout the history of the Christian Church.  Frequently, men, women, and children have paid a heavy price for believing in Jesus as Savior and telling others about this belief.

Christians have truly been blessed in this nation to escape such persecution.  And throughout this nation’s history, Christians have thanked God for this blessing by being witnesses to Christ through the sending and supporting of home and overseas missionaries.  During a part of our rich history, America has contributed more to the spread of the Gospel message than any other nation in history.  Even President Thomas Jefferson, celebrated by some as the great father of the separation of church and state, commissioned at least two ministers as missionaries to Native Americans and supported them with federal funds.

Unfortunately, the era of historic Christian expansion from America has significantly shrunk.  We can hope that this is a temporary condition, but the reality for right now is that Christians in America may soon be facing the persecution heritage of the apostles and other witnesses of the Christian faith.  I cannot remember the source, but I heard or read recently that one of the number one selling topics of literature these days is attacks on Christianity by atheists and other skeptics.  These are not just books written to argue against Christian beliefs and worldviews; they are books written to foster suspicion and hatred toward Christians.  Read through the book of Acts and note how often Paul, Peter, and other Christians were accused of stirring up trouble in the marketplace because of their witness to the Gospel.  The accusations were fabricated and false, but crowds were stirred up nevertheless.  We are seeing some of those same tactics being revived today.

In the April issue of Focus on the Family Citizen – a magazine I encourage you to subscribe to if you want to keep up on some current events – James D. Daly, President and Chief Executive Officer of Focus on the Family, wrote a book review of a new book written by Chris Hedges, a former New York Times reporter.  The title of the book is American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America.  For the simple act of gathering this morning to publicly worship God, and especially when we allow our Christian faith to shape our expressions of public policy, Mr. Hedges condemns us of fascism.  Unfortunately, he is not alone.

Listen to a couple of excerpts from this literary marvel as included in the Citizen article:  “(Christians) assuage their consciences with small acts of charity they or their churches dole out to the homeless or mission fields.  The emotion-filled religious spectacles and spiritual bromides compensate for the emptiness in their lives.” (p. 147)  Think of it, my dear friends; our lives are empty, and the proof of it is found in our gathering here this morning.  Mr. Hedges also writes, “[The Christian Right] is bent on our destruction… These dominionists hate the liberal, enlightened world formed by the Constitution, the world they blame for the debacle in their lives. They have one goal – its destruction.” (p. 202)  People are buying this stuff and, without any critical reflection, are believing that these things are true of Christians.  How long will it be before we will be receiving the Sanhedrin treatment?

Well, for every problem there are solutions.  We can either be part of the problem or part of the solution.  So what are some solutions?  How do we go about resisting resistance?

First, we need to be very, very, very careful about how we talk of our brothers and sisters in Christ.  This is certainly true within our respective fellowships.  It is also true of our speech about other churches.  What kinds of images do you think unbelievers get when they hear us running down other church members or other church bodies at the restaurant and other public places?  It can certainly reinforce the accusations they hurl at us.  I know I’ve had to cut down on what I say about Freewill Baptists and Methodists when I’m out.  Just kidding!  But really, we need to be careful.

Now I’m not implying that we be silent about every disagreement.  Within even my own denomination there are those who express false teachings both theologically and culturally.  I am not going to back down from my proclamation of truth in such circumstances, but I still want to act in a manner that does not feed the hypocrisy of those like Mr. Hedges.

Second, we need to recognize the hand of God in our nation and world.  Most, if not all, of us are gathered here this morning to say that we believe in God and believe God.  That’s good.  This is a real good thing.  But tomorrow morning, and every other morning and day, we had better be living like we believe in God and believe God.  Matthew 7:12, the passage of Scripture fondly known as the “Golden Rule,” applies here: “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”  Very good summation.  Think for a moment what action or what speech that you see from a professing Christian that disappoints you – that makes you think something like, “Well, a Christian shouldn’t be acting like that!” – and ask yourself, “Am I acting the same or similar way?”  Are you working hard to treat others justly?  To treat others better than yourself?  Are you responding to a situation just the way you imagine Jesus would respond?  Are you doing to others what you would have others do to you?  There are those across our land who are going to do what Mr. Hedges is doing – make false accusations against Christians.  Let us just be diligent to do everything in our power to ensure that they are, indeed, false accusations.

Third, we can follow the model of those who have “been there, done that.”  We can do what those apostles did when they received the Sanhedrin treatment.  They resisted the resistance by being all the more faithful in their witness and testimony.  Discovering that there are those like Mr. Hedges who hate Christian believers and that they are apparently increasing their attacks is disheartening.  I am frustrated and disheartened to think that there are those who believe that I am seeking the destruction of this nation’s Constitution or anything like that.  But being disheartened is not being defeated.  I can never be defeated because the author of the truth I proclaim can never be defeated.  So the best way to resist the resistance is to respond just like those apostles: “Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ” (Acts 5:42).  Like the apostles of Scripture, let us be found guilty of following God instead of men.

Rev. Charles A. Layne

Pastor

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

179 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org