Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Spinning

Posted by: dabanks <dabanks@...>

How did you spinners learn to spin? What about books/video's etc that are good for teaching someone..any recommendations? I really shouldn't let all my wool go to waste. We didn't shear the llama's this year, but next year we will have to I suppose. The sheep sheerer we had come out this year has never done llama's before so we decided not to have him done because he isn't a real "wooly" one, and the other llama came to us as a "rehabilitation job" for us and he came after the sheerer was here. He isn't very nice....YET..but hopefully by next spring he will be more handlable. I imagine his wool will be no good tho as he wasn't touched by a human for the last 3--4 years till he came here last June. His wool is all dirty and matted and really yucky looking. Both llamas I have are real handsome looking fellows tho.
Ok, next question.... I have 5 sheep, 2 are baby doll southdowns, 2 are baby doll/columbian cross, and one is a purebred columbian. I have no clue as to what constitutes workable wool and most of all...how do you keep these sheep clean??? They are so dirty all the time and I know part of it has to do with the ground right next to their barn is wet clay yucka type dirt and they like to lay there all the time, we plan on having gravel hauled in before winter right there. But what other suggestions do you have for keeping the wooly ladies and gentleman clean? Or don't you? My goats keep basically clean..most of the time, but the sheep always look horrible. I am new to this, so expect lots of dumb questions from me. The lady I got the sheep from said the sheep would "rot" if I gave them a bath ever??? (she also said "you don't PET sheep" either, so....)
Help this spinner wanna be 🙂
God bless everyone, Julie