Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

THE ATTITUDE OF SERVANTHOOD

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

THE ATTITUDE OF SERVANTHOOD

Maundy Thursday Service

March 20, 2008

Text: John 13:1-17

As I sat in the workshop on “Leadership Practices” led by Phyllis Goodyear at this year’s Northwest Area annual meeting, I knew immediately that these verses from John 13 that she read were speaking to me in the context of a Maundy Thursday service.  By the way, this day of the Holy Week derives its name from the Latin mandatum novum, meaning the “new commandment” Jesus gave in John 13:34.  Maundy Thursday worship services focus upon Christ’s last Passover meal with his disciples through the sharing of the bread and the cup “in remembrance.”  So we, like many other faithful bodies of worship throughout the world, gather in worshipful remembrance of Jesus’ new covenant and commandment.

The first seventeen verses of John 13 that I just read describes the washing of the disciples’ feet by Jesus.  Some faith groups take the lesson given here as a sacrament that they practice.  Even some Baptist denominations refer to foot washing as a third ordinance, baptism and the Lord’s Supper being the first two.  Most Baptist denominations do not practice foot washing as an ordinance, though.  The question is raised sometimes, “Why not?”  Scripture tells us that Jesus said, “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”

Without going into all the “wherefores and whys,” Baptists regard the foot washing service of Jesus as a time of teaching.  Jesus wanted to get his message about servanthood across to his disciples, so he gave them this living illustration using an act of hospitality that was prevalent in that time.  You’ve heard about it before, no doubt.  People frequently traveled by foot.  They went either barefoot or wore open sandal style shoes.  Consequently, their feet would be dusty and grimy and dirty from the stuff they stepped in.  So, as an act of hospitality, guests would wash their feet upon entering another’s home.  In those households that had servants or slaves, this menial task was their job.  Certainly, this would not be the job of the household master in civilized society.  It was not exactly a “Martha Stewart” moment, you know.

The act of Jesus’ getting up from the table, taking off his outer clothing, wrapping a towel around his waist, pouring water into a basin, and washing his disciples’ feet was a real eye opener to them.  Even if they could not yet grasp the full extent of Jesus’ Lordship, they still knew that Jesus was someone special.  They knew that he was their Master and Teacher.  They were to give Jesus their honor, not the other way around.  Conveying the shock experienced by the entire group, Peter exclaimed, “No, you shall never wash my feet.”  Well, the lesson had not yet been completed.

Note how this humble act begins in John 13:3-4: “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.”  Jesus had been given all things from the Father, and what did he do with that power?  What would we do with that kind of power?  We have all heard stories and jokes about being granted three wishes by a magical genie or something.  We all sort of wish that such a thing could come true from time to time.  How many of us, if we were given the power of all things, even if just for a moment, would think to wash the feet of someone else who was not our master?

The point that Jesus makes is evident and, hopefully, obvious to all of us who have heard this testimony many times.  Of all those gathered in the upper room that evening, it was Jesus who deserved to have his feet washed by another.  It was Jesus who deserved to be served by another.  It was Jesus who deserved to command the others to attend to his needs.  But over all of those considerations remained this reality: it was Jesus, and only Jesus, who could bear the sins of others and, thereby, cleanse another into righteousness.

It is really immaterial whether foot washing is regarded as either a sacrament or an ordinance because it is something else that is required of us.  What Jesus required of his disciples, and still requires of us, is not the washing of another’s foot.  What he requires is an attitude.  Jesus teaches here an attitude.  His teaching, amplified by this graphic illustration, is that Jesus’ disciples will have the attitude of servanthood.  The washing of his disciples’ feet was one of the least acts of servanthood that Jesus took on.  In a few hours’ time, Jesus withstood the ultimate test of servant compassion.  Even though bestowed with all things under his power, Jesus used that power to remove our sin stains.  Jesus suffered great deprivation for the sake of our sins.  Jesus paid a penalty that was ours, not his.

This is why we worship tonight.  As you listen again to this remarkable testimony, reflect on it as one who has had your feet washed not by the household servant, but by the household Master.  Reflect on it as one who has had the terrible penalty for sin lifted from your shoulders and placed upon the innocent Lamb.  Reflect on it as one who has nothing worthy to give but, instead, has been given everything by the one who had all things under his power.  As the hymn goes, which we will sing in a little while, Jesus paid it all.  He paid it all because he had the attitude of servanthood.  “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

179 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN 46914

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org