Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

today

Posted by: empalo <empalo@...>

There are some days when life seems to all fit together and we remember or perhaps even
reallize why we are homesteaders.
This morning the air was crisp when I went out to do chores. Clothes hanging on the line from
late yesterday afternoon were stiff and were flying back and forth like pieces of cardboard. It
made me laugh and I was glad we didn't own a dryer. A dryer would have robbed me of this laugh.
The water in the tanks were frozen and I needed to give it a good kick with my warm booted foot.
It made me think of something a child would delight to do, and so I giggled and kicked again and made
a bit of a splash with the icy water.
When I stuck the old bent up, beat up coffee can into the big metal drum where we keep the feed, s
ome of the feed got on my hands and it felt so smooth and smelled so sweet,
my hands went about playing in it for a second or two.
The molasses that covers the feed, stuck to my fingers and suddenly I had
sticky hands like a small child eating a treat. Again I giggled.
The buck and his 200 lb wether companion are always standing on the fence waiting for their food.
They both look like giants. I called out, "good morning boys" and I heard an answer. The boys in
the house that backs our property were just coming out their back door and thought I was talking to
them. I had another chuckle.
I guess this morning, it all seemed like a great adventure to be out doing my chores. Gone are the
days when my children are always around to do them, and I don't mind. I like my little farm work.
This morning, I gathered eggs as my last chore and brought them into a warm and cozy kitchen.
Made some nice dutch apple pancakes and had some coffee. The wood stove heating the house
to the right degree of comfort while old hymns played on the stereo.
It is certain God has granted me the desires of my heart.
It just feels like the perfect day down on the old homestead.

pat