Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

WHAT IS CHURCH

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

WHAT IS CHURCH?

May 4, 2008

Text: Colossians 1:9-14

One of the most enduring legends throughout the age of modern America television and motion picture entertainment is the story of Zorro.  Although his story has been told quite a few different ways, most of us probably know about him through the 1950s Disney version and then the more recent movies, The Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro.  In the older version, Zorro hid in the open by playing the person of the somewhat delicate and timid Don Diego.  This was a front, of course, to cover his identity as the swashbuckling hero to the victims of wicked villains.  In order not to blow his cover, he wore a mask when he was Zorro.

In the Bible, there is a Greek word that means “to hide behind a mask.”  It is not a word that has gained a very good reputation.  The word is hupokrites.  We still use the word today; in our language, it is hypocrite.  The term originated in the Greek theater.  It spoke of actors who displayed changes of emotion by changing the masks held in front of their faces.  What they portrayed was ultimately unrelated to who they were because their real self was hidden by a mask.

The issue of masked men – or women – lies behind one of the most common reasons for rejecting Christ and his church.  We probably all have some familiarity with the criticism, “Church people are hypocrites.  They pretend that they’re wonderful, kind, and loving people, but they really aren’t.”  Those who claim to be followers of Christ are accused of saying one thing and living something different.  The religious declarations they make are thought by some to be merely a false face – a mask to hide behind so that others do not see them as they really are: selfish, mean, and disobedient.  Here are a few statements about this perceived hypocrisy: “In truth there was only one Christian and he died on a cross” (Friedrich Nietzsche).  “Christianity might be a good thing if anyone ever tried it” (George Bernard Shaw).  “Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ" (Mahatma Gandhi).  “Jesus, save me from Your followers” (an American T-shirt).

Are the charges true?  Well, as is the case of all exaggerations, there is some truth to the charges.  Christians fall short of our ideals.  Our walk does not always match the talk.  As indicated by the comments of those I just quoted, this inconsistency has a profound impact on those who are watching and wondering if Jesus has anything genuinely good to offer.  It does everyone some good, then, to look honestly at some perceptions about the church and set the record straight.

No one in the church is perfect.  Notice the words of one of the most influential leaders of the early church.  In Philippians 3:12 the apostle Paul writes, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus also took hold of me.”  Paul reminds us, using the illustration of his own life, that we do not achieve perfection in this life.  At best, people of the church keep growing spiritually with the confidence Paul shares in Philippians 1:6 that “he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  Since Paul has already spilled the beans and told everyone that we are not perfect, we should stop pretending that we are.  Church works better when we remove the mask.

No one in the church is as good as Christ.  Even the best examples of the church still fall far short of the glory and goodness demonstrated by Jesus.  It is once again Paul who tells us this about himself.  In Romans 7:19, Paul makes an honest confession about himself: “For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.”  Whether internally or externally, followers of Christ still battle with selfish desires, temptation, and personal failures.  All of us, unfortunately, still fall far short of the glory of God.  So there is no use pretending that we are better than Christ.  It’ll never happen.  Church works better when we remove the mask.

The church, meaning members of Christ’s church, needs to honestly say to the watching world, “You are right.  The followers of Christ all fall far short of the example set by the Lord.”  This does not mean that Christians are to use human imperfections as an excuse to not strive toward righteousness.  The various Scriptural commands to not sin always remain valid.  Since the apostle Paul did not mask over his own human frailties of spiritual imperfection, then neither should we.

What is church, then?  Well, one common bumper sticker provides a clue: “Christians aren’t perfect – just forgiven.”  Christ’s church is made up of people who have accepted by faith the forgiveness and blotting out of sin through the sacrifice and victory of Jesus Christ.  This declaration is given us in John 1:10-13, “He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.  He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.  Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.”

Born-again followers of Christ are marked by what they believe about the Savior and about themselves.  Christians trust their lives to the One who has done for them what they could never do for themselves.  Christians depend upon the Lord for even the ability to change and become more Christ-like.  While we like to think that it is within our own will-power to become more like Christ, the truth is that we do not even have this capacity.  Becoming more like Christ mean allowing the will of God to push our will-power out of the way.  We all know, for instance, that if our doctor prescribes a certain medicine or procedure for our benefit, then we must actually follow through on his or her instructions.  If I never take the prescription, then my doctor’s instructions are meaningless.  Well, if I never let God’s will have power over mine, then I can never become more Christ-like.

Born-again Christians are on a journey of personal growth that lasts a lifetime.  We never stop learning from the Bible, the Holy Spirit, and from other spiritual mentors who have discovered what it means to rely on Christ.  We must remember that no living follower of Christ has truly “arrived.”  All of us are “on the road” with more or less a desire to experience the difference that the Spirit of Christ wants to make in our lives.  This serves a two-fold purpose.  First, for the individual, it serves as a reminder that he or she is never spiritually perfect.  This is a reminder to remain humble at all times.  Second, it serves as a reminder that other believers suffer from the same common malady of spiritual incompleteness.  This should prompt us to demonstrate forgiveness to others.

Born-again Christians are people who have found forgiveness and hope in a sinful world.  The church, meaning her members, is not “super-spiritual.”  It is not even “super-deserving.”  We are simply rescued people.  This is the concept we find in Colossians 1:10-14, “And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.  For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”  At one time, we felt guilt; now we know the joy of being forgiven.  At one time, we felt lost; now we know that we have been found.  At one time, we felt fear of death; now we know peace.  Why these changes?  Not because of our efforts, but because we have been rescued by Jesus Christ.  The church is the collection of rescued people.

Born-again Christians are people who are imperfect representatives of Christ.  C. S. Lewis wrote these helpful words: “Take the case of a sour old maid, who is a Christian, but cantankerous.  On the other hand, take some pleasant and popular fellow, but who has never been to church.  Who knows how much more cantankerous the old maid might be if she were not a Christians, and how much more likeable the nice fellow might be if he were a Christian.  You can’t judge Christianity simply by comparing the product in these two people; you would also need to know what kind of raw material Christ was working on in both cases.” (C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 59)

What is church?  Church is the expression of God’s love in Christ for His creation.  Understood properly, church is not merely a building or location, and it is not even a collection of gathered believers.  We identify church in these ways, but such descriptors leave it incomplete.

Church is the extension of the living God.  In this regard, church is the visible proof of what God has done and is doing.  Church does not make Christ; Christ makes his church.  Because of this, then, it is up to each and every believer to behave in ways that are pleasing to the Lord.  We are not to try to run church like it is ours, because it is not.  It is the Lord’s.

As the extension of the living God, then, church is the human instrument through which seeking men, women, teens, and children can make contact with God.  Church is therefore invitational.  It is always seeking to reach out and invite others into a saving relationship with Jesus.  This is the purpose for which Jesus established and sustained his church, and it is the purpose for which we are gifted and called.  “And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.  For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

Rev. Charles A. Layne

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

179 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN 46914

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org