Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

WMO 2006 #4/4

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

WMO 2006 #4/4
A LITTLE CAN GO A LONG WAY
October 29, 2006

Text: Mark 6:30-44

I want to explain my purpose in reading from these verses this morning. I am going to preach on their application for us today, because their application in our lives today is different than the original event. In the original event, as we just finished reading, Jesus performed a miracle of multiplying the fish and the bread that were brought to him. He made an increase of what he had. When it was all said and done, five thousand men plus an undetermined number of women and children were fed with twelve baskets of the food left over. All from two fish and five loaves.

In all likelihood, we are not going to duplicate this miracle. Now I’m not going to deny that the Holy Spirit could not give any Christian the power to multiply some fish and bread. I have been to a lot of conferences and seminars where lunch was served, but it was always a result of someone planning to have meals prepared. I have never believed that I will be called to perform a miracle like this, but maybe if I was teaching five thousand men plus women and children, I might change my mind. Again, and I don’t want to deny the ability of the Holy Spirit to empower any believer, I don’t anticipate seeing this miracle duplicated. But I do believe that this testimony has an application. So what does the application look like?

I believe that the application is characterized in the sermon title: “a little bit can go a long way.” We have been promoting our annual World Mission Offering (WMO) this October. We do this every year. We also have other regularly scheduled special offerings that we promote and receive donations for. In the recent past, and for several years, First Baptist Church has been recognized as a “pace setting” congregation in some of these offerings. Yep, little old Bunker Hill First Baptist Church a “pace setting” congregation right up there with churches having several hundred in membership. A very good response Christ’s mission and to the offerings.

The march of time has brought change. Some of our dedicated members with Spiritual Gifts of giving are celebrating eternity with Jesus. They are no longer with us. Some of our members have retired with perhaps less income. Some of our members have retired and spend part of the year away or have moved away altogether. This means a decrease in giving, yes, but it also means a loss of those experienced Christians who used to share their faith and testimonies in worship, in Bible study, in fellowship, and in every facet of our church life. And we feel the effects of that. Some of our members have been forced from one job into another job without as much income and benefits. Or, family situations have changed with more challenges to the family budget. Time has brought change.

That’s not all. Time has also brought more requests for our resources. Right now, even in the midst of the World Mission Offering, there are even more requests for donations. And I consider them all to be worthwhile requests for valid ministries. Our regional Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) ministers, Larry and Bonnie Habeggar, contacted churches about raising money for equipment upgrades during a time which ended October 15th when a matching fund grant was available. Our Region American Baptist Women Ministry special project is being collected all year for the Hope for Children Unlimited ministry in Brazil. Don Scott, our Region Minister of Mission Support, has announced the need to raise $1,500 to get medical equipment from Indiana to Maryland, where it will be shipped to the Congo mission along with other White Cross items. Our community churches, organizations, and businesses are sponsoring fund raisers for Kristin Baker. Add to these known needs the many fund raising appeals that you personally receive, and the list seems quite overwhelming. And for those of you who may be calendar-phobic - there’s probably a real term for something like that - there’s fifty-seven days until Christmas! Overwhelming may not be an adequate word.

In order to prevent being weighed down by all of these requests and needs, we need to keep in mind the application from Jesus’ miracle: a little can go a long way. When they were faced with their overwhelming task, the disciples responded about like we might respond. Jesus answered, “You give them something to eat.” “They said to him, ‘That would take eight months of a man’s wages! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it to them to eat?’” More than five thousand people out in the wilderness with nothing to eat, and Jesus tells his disciples, who also have nothing to eat, “Feed them.“ A small congregation facing diminishing resources with increasing requests for ministry support, and Jesus tells us, “Feed them.” We can give Jesus a disciple-response or a faith-response.

Here are some of the ongoing ministries accomplished through World Mission support: bringing the Gospel to the unreached; bringing clean, safe water to families for the first time; caring for and comforting those suffering and dying from AIDS; building classrooms for eager pastoral students; bringing a baby to doctors that can save her life; rescuing victims of sex slave trafficking and creating safe homes for them. These are just a few examples of living acts of faithful ministry being done by our missionaries and the laity who faithfully support them. Do you believe that these are worthwhile, obedient Christian ministries? Do you believe that they are worthy of our support? There is a lot of feeding to be done. Jesus says, “You give them something to eat.”

The ultimate challenge becomes, though, not how do we squeeze more out of budgets we do not have. It comes from not prayerfully considering how to best use our resources for the Kingdom of God from the moment we first receive them. Here’s the not-so-secret secret: when we prayerfully and purposefully plan the use of our resources, whether meager or bountiful, with the purpose of God’s Kingdom in mind, we discover that a little can go a long way. This is a joyful discovery.

Here is a practical example. Included in the resource package accompanying this year’s WMO materials is this suggestion: “Three dollars, per person, per month. That’s only $36 per person for an entire year of Mission giving. That could TRIPLE the amount of global ministry IM can do. We think it’s worth it to turn a life around. How about you?” (International Ministries, American Baptist Churches, USA, 2006 WMO Pastor’s Guide) Learning that giving at the level of $36 per year per member of American Baptist Churches will triple current giving is a bit discouraging, because that means that the current level of giving is $12 per member. Anyway, I did not write or speak about this challenge for this year’s WMO because it was too late. The year has passed between now and the last WMO, and the time for this year’s offering is upon us. So, let’s look ahead.

Next year, in October, we will promote and receive the World Mission Offering. I’m telling you this now; it need not be a surprise. Will you be prepared? Will you consider how to use your resources for the next twelve months between now and then? Here’s the math of the challenge: three dollars times twelve months times the number of people in your congregation equals be amazed! Think about it. A little can go a long way. Three dollars might be less than is spent on a gourmet coffee; less than what might be spent for a fast food meal; less than what is spent on many movie rentals; less than the cost of admission to the movie theater; less than the popcorn and soft drink you get once you’re in. Thirty-six dollars is less than we spend on a moderately priced meal for a family; less than a night at the movies; much less than that weekend getaway to relax.

So, Pastor, are you telling me that I cannot do those things? I can’t have a bit of fun for all the hard work I do? Life is all work and no play? No, I’m not telling you that you can never go out to eat or go to a movie or buy a new CD or DVD for my collection; however, I know from personal experience that I would easily be better off not having wasted time on most movies I have seen. [re: active duty movie nights] I am picking on our entertainment choices more than anything else because they are truly choices that do not impact our living necessities. In fact, when they do make an impact on our needs, they are always a negative impact. In other words, what we spent on something that is not a necessity is not available for something else - food, shelter, clothing, healthcare - that is a necessity.

Anyway, back to the main point, which is the not-so-secret secret: when we prayerfully and purposefully plan the use of our resources, whether meager or bountiful, with the purpose of God’s Kingdom in mind, we discover that a little can go a long way. This is your relationship with God; this is your decision based upon your relationship with God. The pastor and leaders and laity of this or any church can bring you Biblical teaching and preaching; we can provide opportunities for education that will help you in your spiritual growth; we are available to be a support in times of struggle, but we are not going to make certain that you give a specified minimum amount of money to support ministries of this church and the outreach ministries we promote. We are not going to require financial statements from you and demand that you increase your giving. We are not going to monitor your financial decision-making and point out unwise choices. That is, in part, what your relationship with God is about; that is for you to do decide under the conviction of the Holy Spirit. What I am teaching from the Bible this morning is that, even in the face of tremendous needs with completely inadequate resources, at least there was something - five loaves and two fish - that someone was willing to give to Jesus. A little can go a long way.

So what about you? What are your choices concerning the use of the resources God gives you? It’s not all about money, but money does represent a major portion of how we allocate our time, our talents, and our treasure. Our use of our money is a legitimate topic of Bible study. The people of God are no longer required to bring an animal sacrifice to a priest for the forgiveness of sin. But that has not removed our obligation and desire to respond, with thanksgiving, to God’s overwhelming love for us by bringing our gifts and ourselves to His altar. In the months ahead of us, prayerfully and purposefully plan now the use of your resources, whether meager or bountiful, with the purpose of God’s Kingdom in mind. What can we do to live a faithful life of witness so that we can see God’s Kingdom grow and flourish in our communities and world? The miracle is still real: a little can go a long way.

Rev. Charles A. Layne
First Baptist Church
Bunker Hill, Indiana

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org