Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

WMO 2007 #1/3

Posted by: bhfbc <bhfbc@...>

WMO 2007 #1/3

You Cannot Give What You Do Not Have

October 14, 2007

Text: Luke 24:13-35

No matter where I have served as a pastor or Chaplain, there has always been an organization of other pastors and Chaplains in which I could participate.  In this area, it is the South Miami County Ministers Association.  There are also the pastors in our Judson Baptist Association who occasionally meet.  These fellowships are important.  As professional clergy, our roles tend to be somewhat isolated.  I can go for long stretches of time without running across Pastor Dave Duke or Pastor Bill Sheets, my colleagues here in Bunker Hill.  That may sound amazing, but it’s true.  While an active duty Navy Chaplain, my assignments were to commands with only one Chaplain’s billet, meaning that I was serving in places without other Chaplain, clergy, or pastoral fellowship and support.

It is because of this reality that one of my senior Chaplains in the Atlantic Fleet had a saying that he frequently repeated anytime we were with him.  In fact, he would say it in Latin, which made it sound really good, but since a lot of us had nothing close to any conversational Latin ability, he would give us the translation.  “You cannot give what you do not have.”  His application was specific.  During those long deployments and exercises aboard ship or in the field while we were isolated from our colleagues in ministry, the Chaplain planned and conducted worship services, counseled the sailors and Marines in their commands concerning spiritual and other matters, provided recommendations to the command regarding the free exercise of religion, and actively pursued within the command a variety of activities that contributed to the overall morale of the unit.  So it was vital that, whenever opportunities allowed us to be able to do so, we gather for mutual support and encouragement and spiritual nourishment.  “You cannot give what you do not have.”

Well, this is guidance not only for pastors and Chaplains.  This is guidance for all Christians.  I hope that everyone here this morning understands that only through the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, are we saved.  Jesus is our Savior; it is through his suffering, death, burial, and resurrection that we are saved.  Our works are as filthy rags; they cannot save us.  We cannot save ourselves.

At the same time, if all we do in our Christian journey is walk the aisle in some church, pray at the altar, have a “Hallelujah!  I’m saved!” moment, and never do anything more in our spiritual journey, then we will not amount to much as a disciple of Christ.  Keep in mind my senior Chaplain’s admonition because it applies to everyone here this morning: “You cannot give what you do not have.”

On the third day of the death of Jesus, a couple from the group of folks who knew Jesus was walking back to the town of Emmaus.  From the Scripture in Luke 24, we know that they are confused by the events they have witnessed.  None of it makes sense to them.  Jesus’ death means defeat and the end of their dream for a victorious Messiah.  We are told in Scripture, “As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; but they were kept from recognizing him.” (Luke 24:15-16)

At that moment, neither Cleopas nor his friend had any hope to give to this stranger.  That is understandable, given that they had not yet experienced the meaning of the resurrection.  All they had was confusion and defeat and sadness.  Scripture tells us, “They stood still, their faces downcast.” (Luke 24:17)  They told this stranger what they knew, they gave him what they had, but it was sorely lacking in spiritual substance.  “You cannot give what you do not have.”

Jesus, on the other hand, has everything to give.  It is up to us to receive what he offers.  These two travelers accepted the offer and listened to what he had to tell them.  “He said to them, ‘How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!  Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?’  And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.” (Luke 24:25-27)

Even though they listened to Jesus, they still were not allowed to recognize him yet.  It was only after they invited him in to fellowship and dine with them that their eyes were opened completely.  “When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them.  Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight.  They asked each other, ‘Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?’” (Luke 24:30-32)

Now they had something.  Now they were filled with a power that replaced their fears and lost hopes from before.  Now they knew that Christ and, therefore, his followers were victorious.  They were now able to fulfill what they could not before: be a witness and a testimony for the living Lord.  “They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem.  There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together and saying, ‘It is true!  The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.’  Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.” (Luke 24:33-35)  This is not something that they could do before.  “You cannot give what you do not have.”  Now, having been filled with the presence of Jesus, they were able to testify to the Eleven.  They were able to give what they had because they received what the Lord gave.

Throughout the month of October, we promote and receive the World Mission Offering (WMO).   Every dollar collected through this offering goes to support our overseas missionaries.  American Baptists have missionaries serving in remote areas in Africa and Southeast Asia and in crowded urban areas in Northern Italy and South America.  Our missionaries minister to a diversity of cultures with a lot of different needs.  Our support has helped missionaries bring clean, safe water from wells to remote villages and rescue abandoned orphans from dangerous alleys.  Regardless of the social impact of their ministries, men, women, and children are brought to the saving knowledge of God’s grace in Jesus Christ.  That’s a very good return for our mission dollars.

Through it all, I am not asking you to give what you do not have.  Obviously, I know you cannot give money you do not have.  Last year, I ended my WMO sermons with the challenge for each person to save three dollars a month through the year for the 2007 World Mission Offering.  That’s thirty-six dollars per person.  If we do that, we will be giving an increase over last year’s gifts of about $965.  What if you don’t have thirty-six dollars to give to the WMO?  You cannot give what you do not have, so give what you can.

But before anyone gives money to the WMO, I ask that you first consider your relationship with the Lord.  The ministries of our missionaries are not just another good cause among many that we can contribute to.  The heartfelt love of our missionaries is to bring the saving grace of Jesus Christ to men, women, and children needing salvation.  Our support, then, is likewise for the purpose of bringing men, women, and children to the point of hearing and accepting Jesus’ saving love.  You cannot give what you do not have.  Do you have the saving love of Jesus in your own heart?  Is Jesus the Lord of your life?  If you cannot honestly answer “yes,” then you cannot give the love of Christ to someone else.

You cannot give what you do not have.  If you have not confessed Jesus Christ as your Savior and your Lord, don’t worry about putting money in the plate.  You can only share God’s love with another if you have received God’s love for yourself.  If you are not walking along your life path with Jesus, don’t worry about putting money in the plate.  You can only share your Christian testimony if you are receiving Christ’s testimony.  You cannot give what you do not have.

Supporting our missionaries through the World Mission Offering is extremely important.  It is with and through our support – financial, prayer, encouragement – that they take the  Gospel to all nations.  But they cannot receive from us unless we first receive from the Lord.  Like the friends walking to Emmaus, we are on our journey.  Had Jesus not come and walked beside them, they would have reached their destination and that would have been it.  They would have had no testimony.  Had they not listened to Jesus and heeded his call, they would have reached their destination and that would have been it.  They would have had no testimony.  But Jesus did walk alongside them and talk to them.  They did listen to Jesus and came to the point of recognition.  They received what Jesus had to give.  In turn, they were able to give what they received.  “They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem.”

Do I want us to support the World Mission Offering?  Of course I do.  We need to.  It is our call and our duty to do so.  But do not try to give what you do not have.  First, receive the good and blessed things that God wants us to have: salvation and fellowship with Him.  Then we will be able and capable to give the love and mercy of God to others in need.  We can give because we have.

Rev. Charles A. Layne

First Baptist Church

PO Box 515

170 W. Broadway

Bunker Hill, IN 46914

765-689-7987

bhfbc@bhfirstbaptist.com

http://www.bhfirstbaptist.com

-- To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: abesermons-unsubscribe@welovegod.org