Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Aug. 2012 Popsicles, Summer Fun, ADHD, Reflexes, Kitchen Tips, Repell ents

Posted by: jhbreneman <jhbreneman@...>

HEART TO HEART NEWSLETTER 
ENCOURAGEMENT TO WOMEN

A categorized storehouse of information for you from past newsletters,
plus a second blog just for recipes!
Compiled especially for you with love by Lois Breneman  

~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~
Aug. 2012  Popsicles, Summer Fun, ADHD, Reflexes, Kitchen Tips, Repellents
~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~*:~*~

FOR E-MAIL ADDRESS CHANGES:
 Please send a subscribe e-mail from your New Address to heart2heart-subscribe@welovegod.org
(If you do not do this 2nd step, your old e-mail address will automatically be dropped from the list.)

IN THIS ISSUE:
TEN COMBINATIONS FOR FROZEN FRUIT POPSICLES
CARROT, FINGERLING POTATO AND PEA RAGOUT|
SUMMERTIME FUN IDEAS
RECIPES FOR SCHOOL PROJECTS
ANOTHER WAY TO LOOK AT THOSE WITH ADHD
REFLEXES, LEARNING, AND BEHAVIOUR

A DOZEN KITCHEN TIPS
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NATURAL BUG REPELLENT!  (To Spray on the Skin)

NATURAL SPIDER AND INSECT CONTROL TO SPRAY AROUND THE HOUSE
A NEWBORN'S CONVERSATION WITH GOD

PRECIOUS GEMS

TEN COMBINATIONS FOR FROZEN FRUIT POPSICLES
by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart -  Copyright July, 2012

How would you like ten combinations for 100% fruity frozen treats (with no sugar) in the form of popsicles to make with your family for this super hot summer?  Of course, you can completely blend the fruit in a blender with juice, water, or milk, and simply pour into popsicle molds.

But instead of the above method that I've always used before, I wanted to make a summer treat that would show off the beautiful colors, shapes and designs in a fruit combination.  First I gathered together a variety of fruit, such as kiwi, oranges, cherries, grapes, strawberries, bananas, peaches, mango, blueberries, crushed or pineapple tidbits as well as apricots.  The pineapples and apricots could be fresh or canned in their own juice.

For spectacular texture, color and design, you can use a kiwi slice, a wedge of an orange slice, a jeweled strawberry slice, pineapple tidbits, halves of cherries or grapes, or small chunks of banana.  The secret is to place the fruit along the sides of a popsicle mold, so it will be visible when removed from the mold.  Kiwi and strawberry slices especially add a great look.

Why not have the children (of all ages - teens included) help assemble these individualized popsicles! You only need about two or three different fruits per popsicle, and they can all be a little different. That's the beauty of it.  Another option would be to make a different version each week.  The most difficult part of this activity will be waiting for them to freeze!

Strawberry Kiwi Pops
Put strawberries and milk (or coconut milk or yogurt) in the blender and add a little stevia for sweetener.  Place one or two kiwi slices along the edge of a popsicle mold.  Place halves of seeded cherries along the edge, and stick in a few pieces of a peach or pineapple if there is enough room.  Slowly spoon the strawberry mixture into the mold, making sure the fruit is clinging to the sides.  Slip a knife down into the mold to remove any air bubbles.

Strawberry Blueberry Pops
Place strawberry slices along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Puree blueberries with milk, coconut milk, or vanilla yogurt, and a little stevia.  Spoon the blueberry mixture into the popsicle mold, making sure the strawberry slices are clinging to the sides.  Slip a knife down into the mold to remove any air bubbles.

Cherry Yogurt Pops
Pit and halve several bing cherries and place them along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Spoon in vanilla or cherry yogurt.

Orange Pineapple Kiwi Pops
Place peeled orange slice wedges or chunks along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Slip in a kiwi slice or two for extra color and design.  Spoon in canned crushed pineapple in its own juice until the mold is filled.  Another option would be to make a puree of pineapple in its own juice to spoon into the mold.

Peachy Pineapple Pops
Place chunks of peach along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Fill up the mold with canned crushed pineapple in its own juice.  Another option would be to make a puree of pineapple in its own juice to spoon into the mold.

Kiwi Banana Apricot Pops
Place slices of kiwi and banana along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Spoon in chopped canned apricot in its own juice until filled.  Another option would be to make a puree of apricot in its own juice to spoon into the mold.

Strawberry Vanilla Pops
Place several slices of red ripe strawberries along the sides of a popsicle mold.  Spoon in vanilla yogurt around the strawberries.

Creamy Grape Pops
Cut grapes in half and place along the side of the popsicle mold.  Blend vanilla yogurt with a little grape juice, and slowly pour into the popsicle mold.

Kiwi Mango Pineapple Pops
Place several slices of kiwi along the sides of the popsicle mold.  Place chopped mango along the sides as well.  Spoon in crushed pineapples with pineapple juice.

Patriotic Pops
Place strawberry slices along the sides of the mold.  Puree blueberries with vanilla yogurt.  Spoon a little blueberry mixture into the popsicle mold.  Then spoon in some vanilla yogurt, making sure the strawberry slices are clinging to the sides.

As you can see, this is a very versatile way to make healthy and beautiful popsicles.  The possibilities are unlimited!  I'm sure your family will come up with even more winning combinations. 

To release the frozen goodness inside the mold, run warm water over the bottom and sides.

A coffee filter or baking liner is perfect for slipping the popsicle stick through to prevent tasty drips from settling on clothing being worn by the "licker." 

However, if you do find berry stains on clothing, boil some water in your tea kettle.  Lay out the stained clothing flat in the sink.  Then holding the tea kettle about two feet above the stain, slowly pour a steam of boiling water on the stain, and watch the berry stain disappear like magic!

CARROT, FINGERLING POTATO AND PEA RAGOUT
Thanks to Carol Miller in Pennsylvania for this great recipe!
Hearty caramelized carrots and potatoes are the base for this side dish (or main dish).  Peas, baby spinach, lemon and tarragon add a bright fresh twist. Serve with roast chicken or seared fish. Serves 4 to 6 - Fingerling potatoes are elongated in shape, resemble a finger, and they are almost a sweet creamy flavor.  They look nice on a platter, but other potatoes would be fine for this recipe.

1 medium lemon
1 tsp.balsamic vinegar
1 tsp.maple syrup or a little stevia
1 Tbsp. water
3 1/2 Tbs butter chilled
2 Tbsp.extra virgin olive oil or more if needed
1 1/2 lb. large carrots cut into 2" long 1/2"thick sticks ( I love carrots and used extra)
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
12 oz. fingerling potatoes cut in half lengthwise, if longer than 2" cut in half crosswise (used extra)
1 cup low-salt chicken broth or water
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup fresh blanched peas (or frozen, thawed)
2 oz. stemmed baby spinach leaves
2 tsp.chopped fresh tarragon (used dried parsley)

Finely grate lemon to yield 1 tsp.zest and juice it to yield 1 1/2 tsp. juice. In small bowl combine zest, juice, vinegar, maple syrup, and 1 Tbsp. water.

In a deep wide pan heat 1 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. olive oil over low heat or little higher.  Add carrots and 3/4 tsp. salt. Cover and cook, stirring once in a while gently until nicely browned and just tender (25 min. more or less).  With slotted spoon transfer to a large plate.

Add 1 Tbsp. butter to remaining fat in pan.  If no fat in pan add olive oil.  When butter melts arrange potatoes cut side down ina single layer in pan. Add a little salt if needed. Cover pan partially and cook undisturbed until potatoes are deep golden brown on bottom (10 or 15 min.). Add chicken broth or water and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover partially.  Cook until potatoes are tender and liquid has reduced to few Tbsp. (15 min or so).  Add garlic to potatoes and cook, stirring gently until fragrant (about 30 seconds).  Add reserved carrots, peas and lemon juice mixture.  Stir and cook a few minutes. Add spinach, stirring gently until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and add remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter; stir until just melted.  Stir in tarragon or parsley.  Transfer to platter and serve.

SUMMERTIME FUN IDEAS
by Betty Benson Robertson - Used by permission

Bike Scavenger Hunt: Prepare a question sheet ahead of time, with scavenger hunt locations and questions, such as: How many links are in the swing chain at Fremont Elementary School? How many owls are on display in the front window of the gift shop? What two credit cards are displayed on the window of Smith Construction Company? Ride together to the places listed, record answers and then return to place of origin.

Crazy Challenges: Work together in setting up various events such as: discus throw using paper plates; javelin throw using straws; shot-put using marshmallows; diving with each person tossing jelly beans into a container of water; one-yard dash by pushing Trix cereal across the floor with their nose, and standing high jump using a donut suspended from the ceiling about four inches above their mouth - one bite wins.

Cupcake Decorating Contest: Make cupcakes and divide them among the children. Provide creative supplies such as icing, sprinkles, M & M's, raisins, and nuts. Each child decorates cupcakes. Pour glasses of milk and eat the cupcakes!

Frisbee Golf: Frisbee Golf is played like miniature golf except Frisbees are used instead of balls and clubs. Find an area with several trees. Attach a large number to each tree. Each child tosses a Frisbee to the first number, keeping track of how many tries it takes. Continue through the course until the last number is reached.

Gigantic Scavenger Hunt: Each child takes a large trash sack to a heavily littered area and hunts for trash. Encourage your children to continue being "Trash Detectives" to help care for God's beautiful world.

H. O. P. Day: "H. O. P." stands for "Help Other People." Make a list of things the children can do for neighbors or friends. This might include mowing lawns, washing cars, washing windows, or writing a letter for an elderly person.

It's A Secret: Select a place your children will enjoy visiting such as the zoo, a museum or a restaurant. For added fun, let each child guess the secret destination.

Paper Airplane Mania: Create airplanes from leftover school notebook paper or scrap paper of some kind. Hold a contest to see who wins the highest in flight and farthest in flight.

Note from Lois: For the "Gigantic Scavenger Hunt," because unknown trash items may be involved, it would be a good idea to wear gloves.  We never know what is out there.

RECIPES FOR SCHOOL PROJECTS
As your children and grandchildren prepare to start back to school in a few weeks, here are lots of recipes that will help them to make their school projects more interesting.  http://heartfilledhome.blogspot.com/search/label/School%20Projects

ANOTHER WAY TO LOOK AT THOSE WITH ADHD
Heard on "Words to Live By" - http://www.words.net
I loved hearing this, because so many with ADHD get a bad wrap. 
We all need to look at these dear ones through God's eyes.

♥ ♥
.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`♥♥
A
mazing ♥ ♥
                            .·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
                      (¸.·´ (¸.·`♥♥
  Dynamic  ♥ ♥
                                                      .·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
                                               (¸.·´ (¸.·`♥♥
Happy ♥ ♥
                                                                           .·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
                                                                  (¸.·´ (¸.·`♥♥
  Determined  ♥ ♥
                                                                                                         .·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
                                                                                                  (¸.·´ (¸.·`♥♥

REFLEXES, LEARNING, AND BEHAVIOUR
New and updated edition of ‘A Teacher’s Window into the Child’s Mind’
A very informative and helpful book by Dr. Sally Goddard Blythe
http://www.inpp.org.uk/research-publications/books-publications/books/reflexes-learning

This unique and brilliant book explores the physical basis of learning difficulties, dyslexia, dyspraxia, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), with particular focus on the role of abnormal reflexes and the effect upon subsequent development.

Sally explains how the reflexes of infancy (primitive and postural) can affect the learning ability of the child if they are not inhibited and integrated by the developing brain in the first three years of life. Each reflex is described together with its function in normal development, and its impact upon learning and behaviour, if it remains active beyond the normal period.

Simple tests for the reflexes that are crucial to education are described, together with suggestions for suitable remedial intervention. The effect of abnormal reflexes on balance and sensory processing is also described. A brief history of how current methods of intervention designed to correct abnormal reflexes have evolved and a summary of some of the relevant research in the field are included.

This book is essential reading for parents, teachers, psychologists, optometrists and anyone involved in the assessment, education and management of children and their problems. It explains why certain children are unable to benefit from the same teaching methods as their peers and why they remain immature in other aspects of their lives.

Please click on the following link to order this book from Fernridge for $29.99, a much better price than Amazon!

A DOZEN KITCHEN TIPS

What About Eating Cantaloupe after Listeria Deaths?
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/07/case-count-from-cantaloupe-outbreak-officially-rises-to-147/
Last year we heard about people falling ill and dying from listeria infection in 28 states after eating cantaloupe.  I asked my holistic doctor how we can protect ourselves if we continue to eat cantaloupe.  She said hydrogen peroxide can prevent listeria infections by saturating the outside of the cantaloupe with hydrogen peroxide before cutting it.  Set the cantaloupe in a large mixing bowl, pour 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide over the fruit.  Then using a dishcloth, soak up the liquid and wipe over the the outside of the fruit.  Let set 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly before cutting.

Learn the Codes for Produce ~ Read the label. Fruits and vegetables typically contain stickers that contain a product look up (PLU) code to help identify how the food was produced. Organic produce has a 5-digit code that begins with a 9, conventional produce has a 4-digit code that begins with a 3 or 4, and genetically modified produce has a 5-digit code that begins with an 8."  Thanks to Linda Bahn in Pennsylvania for this information!

For the Freshest Produce grown your own, or buy from a local farm, farmers' market or community supported agriculture (CSA).

You Can Freeze Avocados!  That's right.  You can take advantage of good sales this way.

Kill Mold Spores and Keep Berries Fresh Longer ~ When purchasing strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, use 1 part white vinegar to 10 parts water to soak the berries for a few minutes.  Drain in a colander until they are completely dry.  Store in an uncovered bowl in the refrigerator. The vinegar mixture kills mold spores on the berries and helps them keep longer, but doesn't affect the flavor. Read more: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2012/04/how-to-keep-strawberries-fresh.html#ixzz216k8IQ4o
How to Keep Parsley and Cilantro Longer ~ When you come home with your produce, wrap two paper towels around your parsley (do the same with Cilantro), and store it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.  Leafy produce will keep longer when kept dry.

Tried and True Method of Keeping Celery Longer ~ Wrap celery in aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator.  This works!

Note from Lois: Cara gave me permission to include this article in the newsletter, but it will not be posted on the blog.

I love it when natural products work as well or better than their less healthy synthetic counterparts. Last year I was thrilled to find that natural bug repellent worked well for our family, as much as we anticipate spring we do not love the mosquitoes that come with it! But the bug repellent that I purchased was pricey, and one of the kids got the lid unscrewed and dumped a good half of it just as we were going into summer.

This year I looked up ingredients that are thought to repel bugs, and made my own concoction. We’ve now tried it and I can report that it does work wonderfully! It smells strong while you’re making it but I don’t find it to be overpowering when it’s on your skin.
I did find that I had to make sure I applied it well, and it may need to be reapplied often when out in the buggy weather.

All together the ingredients are a little expensive, but this recipe makes nearly half a gallon - plenty to share with friends! I purchased 6-ounce bottles so that I had some to share, and could keep a bottle in each truck as well as near the back yard.  All ingredients and bottles are purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs, which I have found carries great quality essential oils and herbs at a fraction of what they sell for at the health food store.

Homemade Natural Bug Repellent Recipe

Makes approx 1/2 a gallon
  • 2 cups loose dried catnip
  • 5 cups water
~ Make catnip into a strong tea.
  • 16 ounces aloe vera juice
  • 4 ounces neem oil (mine had a small amount of olive oil in it)
  • 1 ounce citronella essential oil
  • 2 teaspoons lemon eucalyptus essential oil
  • 1 teaspoon tangerine essential oil
  • 30 drops lavender essential oil
  • 30 drops peppermint essential oil
Make the catnip into a strong tea, steeping for half an hour.  Catnip essential oil is very expensive, but good for repelling bugs, so I decided to try the less expensive tea instead.  Strain tea through a sieve.  Combine all ingredients, including the tea, in a large jar. Shake to combine.  Place in containers (I used containers with lids that can allow drops out, like a shampoo bottle) and label.  Store the unused bottles in the refrigerator, as there are no preservatives in this!

I’m sure this isn’t the only way to make natural bug repellent! If you have most but not all of these ingredients, you might try using what you have and see how it works. Good thing about mosquito season is that you can get immediate feedback on your creation!

This bug repellent is perfect for working in the garden - as the day gets cooler and the air gets more still, the bugs come out in force! Use this natural bug spray (and perhaps grow some aloe and catnip!) to keep gardening without itching!
Disclosure: I wrote this post while participating in the Sowing Millions Project by Real Food Media on behalf of Seeds of Change. I received product and exclusive content to facilitate my post. However, my thoughts and opinions are my own and not of those of Real Food Media or Seeds of Change. Visit them on Facebook and share about your garden!

NATURAL SPIDER AND INSECT CONTROL TO SPRAY AROUND THE HOUSE
That time of the year is fast approaching when spiders and their webs will be found in abundance in and around many of our homes.  Master Gardener, Jerry Baker, suggests a natural way of getting rid of these nasty critters.  He says to get a package of chewing tobacco and soak it in a gallon of boiling water until it cools.  Strain the liquid into another container or small bucket. Fill a hose-end sprayer with a cup of tobacco juice and 1/2 cup lemon dish washing liquid and spray around the outside of your house.  You might want to shop for this item when you won't be seen by friends and neighbors though - maybe early in the morning.  A long time ago a neighbor saw me when I bought it at our drug store!  I don't know if she actually saw that I bought chewing tobacco, but if she did, I am sure she knew that neither my husband nor I would chew that nasty stuff!  She was my Avon lady, and is in heaven, and I'm sure she knows the real truth now for sure!
A NEWBORN'S CONVERSATION WITH GOD

A baby  asked God, "They tell me you are sending me to  earth tomorrow,  
but how am I going to  live there being so small and helpless?"   

God said, "Your angel will be  waiting for you and will take care of you."   

The child further inquired, "But  tell me, here in heaven I don't have   
to do anything but sing and smile to  be happy."  

God said, "Your angel  will sing for you and will also smile for you.   
And you will feel your angel's love  and be very happy."  

Again the  small child asked, "And how am I going to be  able to understand  
when people talk to  me if I don't know the language?"   

God said, "Your angel will tell  you the most beautiful and sweet words   
you will ever hear, and with much  patience and care, your angel will   
teach you how to speak."   

"And what am I going to do when I  want to talk to you?"  

God said,  "Your angel will place your hands together and  will teach  
you how to pray."   

"Who will protect me?"   

God said, "Your angel will defend  you even if it means risking its life."   

"But I will always be sad because  I will not see you anymore."  

God  said, "Your angel will always talk to you about  Me and will teach  
you the way to come  back to Me, even though I will always be next to  you."  

At that moment there was  much peace in Heaven, but voices from Earth   
could be heard and the child hurriedly  asked, "God, if I am to leave  
now,  please tell me my angel's name."   

God said, You will simply call  her, "Mom."  

PRECIOUS GEMS

My friend from Atlanta was here last weekend.  She told me the cutest funny story about her 4 year old grandson, Eli.  He was sitting beside his Grandma Jane, and he looked up at her and said, “Grandma Jane, why are you so old?”  So Jane proceeds to explain to him how she was born a long time ago and how he should remember that about four years ago, he was just a tiny baby and now he is older…and he said, “ Yes, but my skin is still straight!” ~ Elinor in Virginia  

From my 2 year old: "Mama, when I get big I'm going to grow a baby in my tummy." (a long pause) "Next week is my birthday and I'll be 3. That means...I'll be big. (pause) Mama, there is a baby growing inside my tummy now, and it's going to come out on my birthday 'cause I'll be big then!!!" (extreme excitement from the child, and Mommy wondering how to teach this lesson...) ~ Rosie in Central Asia

During breakfast this morning, I asked the kids if they knew what is special about today.  They quickly replied, "Your anniversary!"  When I asked if they knew which anniversary it is, Addison (8) correctly said, "The 14th."  He then followed with, "This is your unlucky anniversary.  Next year's anniversary will be better."  And onto the next subject he went.  🙂 ~ Ellen Rachel

Ladies, I would love to hear from you anytime!
Simply reply to any newsletter and share your thoughts with me.
I'm always looking for cute quotes from kids (old or new would be great)!

I pray each of you found something in this edition to bless, encourage and teach you!
Please remember to pray for each dear Heart to Heart lady and her family,
because so many ladies are going through very tough times and need our prayers!
Some have lost loved ones, others have lost jobs, homes, or their good health.

Pray each day for the protection of our troops, and for their families left at home,
as well as adjustment and employment after they return home.

God bless you and your family and keep you in His loving care!
Your Heart to Heart friend
Lois

Disclaimer: Various websites may be given as credits or to supply additional information for readers. However, all the views and advertisements represented by websites in this newsletter are not necessarily the views of the editor. Please use your own discretion and common sense regarding all information given in this newsletter.

--

To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: heart2heart-unsubscribe@welovegod.org