Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

E-pistle for July 10, 2015

Posted by: info <info@...>

e-pistle

FreeWay Foundation            July 10, 2015

jesus uses anonymous, unknown servants

(Mark 14:1-72)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  Jewish leaders plotted to kill Jesus; He was anointed at Bethany, vv. 1-9.

2.  Judas agreed to betray Jesus; Jesus celebrated the Passover with His

disciples and instituted the Lord's Supper, vv. 10-26.

3.  Jesus predicted Peter's denial; Jesus prayed in the garden, where He

was betrayed and arrested; a young follower (Mark?) fled naked from

the soldiers, vv. 27-51.

4.  Jesus was tried before the Jewish Sanhedrin; Peter denied Jesus and

wept, vv. 66-72.

II.  Meditation:  on what Jesus instructed His disciples to do

1.  Go into the city of Jerusalem.

2.  Find and follow a man carrying a pitcher of water (secret sign).

3.  Ask his master, "Is the guest room ready for the TEACHER?" 

(Password).

4.  Make sure all preparations are made for Passover (and Lord's Supper).

III.  Observations:  on what we know about this anonymous, unknown man:

1.  He carried a pitcher of water . . . "woman's work."

2.  He stood out from the crowd because of his servant's heart; he did not

say a word, but he was essential to Jesus' plan.

3.  He had "been there," so as a reliable guide, he knew the way.

4.  He showed others the place, then allowed them to proceed; his service

was finished, and he was not mentioned again in the Scripture . . . but

he is well-known to Jesus.

IV.  Revelation:  on what we know about the place where he led the disciples:

1.  LARGE – There is plenty of room for all who seek Jesus, Genesis 26:22.

2.  UPPER – I must "GO UP" spiritually to meet Jesus, Ephesians 1:20; 2:6.

3.  FURNISHED – Everything we need is supplied and found there,

Philippians 4:19.

4.  PREPARED-The work already has been done; I merely enter into that

prepared place, I Corinthians 2:9-10; John 14:1-3.

V.  Applications:  on what this teaching means to my life today:

1.  Like the disciples, I need to hear and obey Jesus' instructions.

2.  Like the disciples, I need to operate only in the name of the "TEACHER."

3.  Like the man carrying the pitcher, I need to be a vessel filled with the

Holy Spirit (living water), and different from the crowd because I have

a humble servant's heart.

4.  Like the man carrying the pitcher, I need to guide others to the place

where they can meet Jesus for worship, instruction, and fellowship . . .

then I should step out of the picture.

THANKSGIVING:  I'm glad Jesus uses anonymous, unknown servants . . . like me!

how the gold has become dim!

(Lamentations 4:1-22)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  Jeremiah portrays the "before and after" conditions of the temple (gold; stones)

and of the men (precious sons):  after the Babylonians destroyed the city, gold

was "DIM," temple jewels were scattered, mothers became indifferent to the

needs of their children, and wealthy citizens were reduced to abject poverty,

vv. 1-6.

2.  Jeremiah describes the Nazarites (high ranked nobles) as looking like skeletons,

emaciated by starvation; he relates that the mothers of the besieged city have

been forced into cannibalism, boiling and eating their own children, vv. 7-11.

3.  Jeremiah blamed the unbelievable tragic conditions upon the deceptive,

murderous, sinful prophets, priests, and other leaders of the nation . . . who

killed God's true prophets (v. 13; Jeremiah 26:11) and who had looked to other

nations for protection (v. 17) rather than looking unto the Lord, vv. 12-20.

4.  Jeremiah condemned the neighboring nation of Edom (the descendants of

Esau, Jacob's brother), predicting that they would be punished for their treachery

against Israel, vv. 21-22.

II.  Meditation and Revelation:  on some key verses in this chapter

1.  "The precious sons of Zion . . . are regarded as clay pots, the work of the

hands of the potter," v. 2; all persons like clay in the hands of the Potter,

Almighty God, Isaiah 64:8; Jeremiah 18:2-6; Romans 9:21.

2.  "The young children ask for bread, but no one breaks it for them," v. 4: 

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how

much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those

who ask Him," Matthew 7:11.

3.  "The punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater

than the punishment on the sin of Sodom," v. 6; persons who have greater

knowledge of God's truth will be held more accountable than those who have

less spiritual light, Luke 12:47-48; Matthew 10:15; 11:23-24.

4.  "The adversary and the enemy could enter the gates of Jerusalem . . .

because of the sins of the prophets and the iniquities of her priests,"

vv. 12-13; leaders must walk obediently because their sins can bring God's

judgment upon a nation, Proverbs 11:11; 14:34.

III.  Applications:  as a Christian, I need to . . .

1.  Yield my life to the Potter to be molded into a useful vessel.

2.  Ask, with childlike faith, for good things from my heavenly Father.

3.  Recognize my privilege and responsibility as an enlightened believer.

4.  Walk with godly integrity so that my influence may benefit others.

Mark Twain said:  "Forget and forgive.  This is not difficult, when properly understood.

It means that you are to forget inconvenient duties, and forgive yourself for forgetting.

In time, by rigid practice and stern determination, it comes easy."

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

--
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: epistle2equip-unsubscribe@welovegod.org