Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

E-pistle for October 16, 2015

Posted by: info <info@...>

E-pistle

FreeWay Foundation            October 16, 2015

following lost donkeys to divine destiny

(I Samuel 9:1-27)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration and Meditation:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  Saul, a tall and handsome young man of the tribe of Benjamin, here is

introduced into the history of Israel during the days when Samuel was

searching for God's will about anointing a king, vv. 1-2.

2.  The donkeys of Saul's father, Kish, had wandered off and become lost;

Saul and his servant were sent to search for them, vv. 3-4.

3.  After searching three days (v. 20) in several locations, Saul wanted to

return home because by now his father would be worried about his son

rather than about the donkeys; Saul's servant suggested that they ask

Samuel the prophet for advice, vv. 5-6.

4.  Saul said that he couldn't afford to pay the customary fee for a "seer,"

the servant offered to pay the nominal amount, so they went into

Samuel's city of Ramah in the land of Zuch, vv. 7-10.

5.  In the city, Saul and his servant met some young women who told them

that Samuel would be at a certain place on his way to offer a sacrifice,

vv. 11-14.

6.  Samuel had heard from the Lord that a divine appointment had been

arranged with Saul, whom he was to anoint as king; thus Saul met

Samuel (without recognizing him) and received word that the donkey

had been found (without asking him), vv. 17-20.

7.  Saul and Samuel ate a meal with 30 other guests; Samuel honored

Saul who responded with humility; later Samuel took Saul to a private

place where he could relate God's word about his destiny, vv. 21-27.

II.  Revelation and Applications:  on the spiritual truths seen here

1.  If we have discerning eyes of faith, we may be able to discern and

recognize God's hand at work in ordinary day-to-day happenings,

such as looking for lost donkeys.

2.  God chooses people who are faithfully working at their smaller duties

and responsibilities to accomplish His larger purposes.

3.  A simple suggestion and/or an insignificant gift to God's service may

be used by God to alter the entire course of the history of a nation.

4.  God places persons (like the servant girl) across our paths to point the

way, if and when we need guidance or direction.

5.  Sometimes God reveals our divine destiny or calling to another person,

who then gives us that message "out of the blue."

6.  God can be trusted to take care of the low priority concerns of our lives

(like lost donkeys), as He leads us to the place of spiritual revelation.

7.  Humility is the only proper response to make when we are being praised,

honored, or elevated to a high position of prominence and authority.

as a mother; as a father

(I Thessalonians 2:1-20)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  Paul wrote of his humble, sincere ministry to the Thessalonians, vv. 1-6.

2.  Paul claimed to be both a mother and a father to them, vv. 7-12.

3.  Paul reminded them of their conversion experiences, vv. 13-16.

4.  Paul revealed his longing to see them . . . his "GLORY AND JOY" vv. 17-20.

II.  Observations:  on God's purposes for a mother and a father

1.  THE MOTHER'S PURPOSE – through self-sacrifice, to develop children

who strive for the highest and best in character and lifestyle as mature

Christians.

2.  THE FATHER'S PURPOSE – through hard work and example, to develop

children who are achievers . . . who will "BE ALL THEY CAN BE!"

III.  Meditation:  on the characteristics of a godly mother

1.  GENTLE (v. 7) = kind, amiable, quiet, patient, tender.

2.  NURSING (v. 7) = nurturing, caring, holding, comforting.

3.  CHERISHHING (v. 7) = holding dear, treating as someone special.

4.  AFFECTIONALTELY LONGING (v. 8) = love-yearning; craving the highest

and best.

5.  IMPARTING HER OWN LIFE  (v. 8) = attitude and practice of self-sacrifice.

IV.  Meditation:  on the characteristics of a godly father

1.  LABOR AND TOIL (v. 9-10) = family support, physical effort to secure

necessities for the family.

2.  EXAMPLE (v. 10) = of devotion, justice, and character.

3.  EXHORTED (v. 11) = advise strongly, earnestly admonish, reprove, correct.

4.  COMFORTED (v. 11) = encourage, cheer, inspire, console.

5.  CHARGED (v. 11) = to lay upon another a task, a command, a trust, an

expectation; to challenge to faithfulness and achievement.

V.  Revelation and Applications

1.  God is like both a mother and father to us.

As a Christian, I need to comprehend this spiritual relationship.

2.  The characteristics of a godly mother emphasize intimate, cherishing,

nurturing love expressed by a yearning for children to live lives of

spiritual sensitivity.

As a Christian, I need to exhibit these same traits toward others.

3.  The characteristics of a godly father emphasize a challenge to achievement

expressed by example and encouragement.

As a Christian, I need to exhibit these same traits toward others.

4.  As Paul specifically wrote, these are the attitudes and actions which ministers

should have in relating to their church members.

As a Christian, I need to "mother" and "father" the less mature believers

whom God has placed in my "family."

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good;

and an evil man out of the evil of his heart brings forth evil.

For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."                                                                                                                                                                   

Luke 6:45

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

--
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: epistle2equip-unsubscribe@welovegod.org