Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

E-pistle for October 30, 2013

Posted by: info <info@...>

e-pistle

FreeWay Foundation            October 30, 2015

king saul's "first 100 days"

(I Samuel 11:1-15)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  The Ammonites (Lot's descendants) under Nahash, besieged Jabesh Gilead

(in Gad, east of the Jordan River), demanding that the city surrender and

have their right eyes blinded; the elders asked for seven days to see if

a deliverer could be found, vv. 1-3.

2.  Messengers found Saul in the field caring for his animals; when he heard

the bad news, the Spirit of the Lord came upon him; in holy anger he

sacrificed his oxen and sent messengers throughout the nation calling

them to join him in battle, vv. 4-7.

3.  In response, 300,000 Israelites plus 30,000 troops of Judah joined Saul;

the next day Saul attacked and utterly defeated the Ammonites, vv. 8-11.

4.  Some of Saul's supporters wanted to execute those who had rebelled

against Saul's leadership (I Samuel 10:27), but Saul refused to allow it

because this was a day of victory and celebration; Samuel called the

nation together at Gilgal and renewed (unified) the kingdom with sacrifices

of peace offerings and great rejoicing, vv. 12-15.

II.  Meditation and Revelation:  on the spiritual implications of these events

1.  The tribes which settled east of the Jordan River (outside of the Promised

Land, proper) were easy targets of the enemies of God's people.

To enjoy the full benefits of God's protection and provision, His

people need to abide under the canopy of His covenant of blessing.

2.  Up until this time, Saul had not taken any steps to form his government,

but had continued to perform the tasks assigned to him by his father.

God's called leaders should wait until they are empowered by the Holy

Spirit before assuming their roles and attacking their spiritual enemies.

3.  Saul exhibited a remarkable attitude of forbearance and forgiveness toward

those who rebelled against his authority early in his reign.

God's anointed leaders should exhibit this same spirit of mercy and

grace toward those who oppose them.

4.  The original partnership of Samuel and Saul (v. 7) revealed God's plan:  for

governmental authority (the king) to rule the nation under the divine guidance

of the spiritual leader (the prophet-priest).

God's kingdom operates under Christ, our Prophet, Priest, and King.

III.  Applications:  as a Christian, I need to . . .

1.  Be faithful to the terms of God's covenant with me, trusting Him for divine

protection and provision.

2.  Tarry for power from the Holy Spirit before attempting to render service for

the Lord, Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-8.

3.  Love and forgive others, just as God loves and forgives me.

4.  Christians should exert a positive influence upon their government, while

acknowledging Jesus Christ (Prophet, Priest, and King) as Lord.

sanctification

(I Thessalonians 5:1-28)

Dr. Curt Scarborough

I.  Concentration:  on the contents of this chapter

1.  Paul wrote about "the day of the Lord'" vv. 1-5.

2.  Paul urged believers to remain alert; he challenged them to comfort and

edify each other, vv. 6-11.

3.  Paul issued several pithy and important exhortations, vv. 12-22.

4.  Paul closed with a blessing and an admonition, vv. 23-28.

II.  Meditation:  on the atmosphere of sanctification

1.  Rejoice always, v. 16.

2.  Pray without ceasing, giving thanks in everything, vv. 17-18.

3.  Do not quench the Spirit, do not despise prophecies, vv. 19-20.

4.  Test all things:

(1)  Hold fast what is good, v. 21.

(2)  Abstain from every form of evil, v. 22.

III.  Observations:  on the attitudes and actions of sanctification

1.  Sanctification is the work of the God of peace, Himself.

2.  Sanctification means "being set aside for a specific (pure and holy)

purpose; being made spiritually mature."

3.  Sanctification involves the whole person:

(1)  Spirit      (2)  Soul            (3) Body

4.  Complete sanctification will result in a blameless life at the coming of

our Lord Jesus Christ.

"He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it," v. 24.

IV.  Applications:  as a Christian, I need to . . .

1.  Encourage, edify, esteem, exhort other Christians.

2.  Pursue only those things which are good for others (and for me).

3.  In a spirit of rejoicing and thanksgiving, pray for spiritual discernment to

be able to "test all things" (evil and good) . . . without quenching the

Spirit or despising prophecies.

4.  Allow God to sanctify me completely . . . transforming my spirit, soul,

and body to be conformed to the image of God.

"Life becomes harder for us when we live for others,

but it also become richer and happier."

Albert Schwirtzer

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

--
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: epistle2equip-unsubscribe@welovegod.org