Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Equip & Encourage, Blog Posts, Good Samaritan Contest, Bible Bee

Posted by: virginiaknowles <virginiaknowles@...>

Dear Hope Chest friends,

Just a few extras to send your way...

• Equip & Encourage Blog Carnival and Recent Blog Posts
  • What I'm Teaching
  • Good Samaritan story challenge
  • 4th Annual Bible Bee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Equip & Encourage Blog Carnival and Recent Blog Posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the last Hope Chest, I announced my new weekly Blog Carnival.  I just put up the link post for the third week on Thursday: Equip & Encourage Blog Carnival #3.  This week, in addition to my own blog links (see below), we've already had seven other ladies join up.  I invite you to come post your own link or at least visiting the other blogs. Healthy food seems to be the prevailing topic this week, but I also loved a post called "The Mama Promise."

You can subscribe to my blogs (e-mail or feed reader) by looking in the sidebar of each one for the subscribe button.  The three home school blogs are combined into one e-mail list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I'm Teaching
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Monday at our home school co-op, I
will continue my English class series on World Religions and World Views with a
discussion of Judaism Vocabulary and Concepts. I am
hoping to borrow my son-in-law's menorah, tallit, and Torah scroll as
visual aids, as I did two years ago. We actually did things a little out
of order this year and already covered 
Holocaust Vocabulary and Concepts, which might have been more appropriate this week
since Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom HaShoah) begins this Wednesday
evening, April 18, and ends on Thursday, April 19. I will still read them the
Holocaust picture book The Harmonica, by Tony Johnston.   About three years ago I visited
the U.S. Holocaust Memorial
Museum
 in
Washington, D.C., which you can read about here:  
Diary of a Mom's Day in D.C.: Holocaust Museum, Asian
Art, Metro Crash

Last week, our topic of discussion was the 1994 Rwanda
genocide.  This is a blog post I wrote four years ago about teaching this
subject, and I pretty much followed the same format this year, with updated
news articles: 
Out of Africa and Into My Classroom: Rwanda and
Reconciliation
I'm not the only English teacher in our co-op covering
sobering topics at the moment. 
With The Hunger Games movie in
the spotlight now, my 9th grade son's English class at co-op is reading Shirley Jackson's dystopian short story, "The Lottery." (I remember seeing
this film at school in 8th grade back in the mid 1970's.) Aren't we such a
cheerful bunch at co-op?  Really, though, we aren't always so somber.  We do cover more light-hearted topics, too.  If you live in Central Florida, and you're interested in a great co-op,
let me know, and I'll put you in contact with the ladies who lead it.
 We've only got four weeks of classes left, so if you want to visit us and
see what we do, now is the time!  I am leaning toward returning to co-op
next year, but honestly, I'm not sure which of my kids will be where.
 Right now I have four in public school and two at home; three of those started at the
neighborhood elementary school mid-year, which has generally been a good thing.  Two or three of them may come
back home for next year and be in the co-op, and one who is currently at home
may or may not be in public school next year.  If we do continue with the
co-op, I will be probably teach 5th-6th grade English instead of 7th-8th.
 Please say a prayer for us to have wisdom to make the right decisions and the
strength to do what needs to be done, not just with education choices, but everything else, too.  This past year or so has been very tough for
our family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Samaritan Story Challenge Contest
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This announcement is from my friend Marcella Guzman, who works for Good Samaritan.

Do You Know a Good Samaritan Story?

Share it With Us!

Stories where someone makes a difference in someone else’s life are always encouraging. Tell us about how you or someone you know helped another in a time of need and inspire others do the same.  Participate in the Good Sam Story Challenge and you could even be eligible for a prize. So jot down your stories and enter!

Your story should be brief, no more than 500 words. There are no entry fees. No purchase is necessary to enter.  You do have to be 18 years old or older to enter.  Participate at our website: http://www.1goodsam.org

Share Your Good Samaritan Story and You Could Win!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4th Annual Bible Bee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We did this the first year, but the expectations were pretty intense.  However, it's much less complicated this year, so we may give it a try again!  We live in Central Florida, where the only host church this year is in Deland, but you only have to go there once.  

Registration is open now, and the contest starts June 1.  Here's the blurb from the web site.

How can 2 cards a week and 20 minutes a day deepen your family's relationship with Christ?

Our desire is to help your family move closer to God and closer to one another as you learn, live out, and celebrate His Word. Register your children ages 7-18 years for the 2012 Bible Bee and learn how we can equip and encourage a lifestyle of investing in and living out your relationship with Christ.

In return for the $30 Registration Fee, each contestant receives, on June 1st:

• 25 Bible Memory Cards. That works out to just over 2 cards per week during the summer, a "do-able" goal for your whole family! 
  • A Bible in one of five translations
  • A "Sword Study" in-depth study on one book of the Bible leveled for three age groups, enabling the whole family to study the same book at the same pace. Sword Studies don't just teach the Bible, they teach a lifelong skill of how to study and apply the Bible, in just 20 minutes a day.
  • An official participant Bible Bee T-shirt and button
  • Gifts from our ministry partners that support the Sword Study learning
  • A Parent Guidebook that gives a solid overview of the study and includes a Family Bonfire Guide, so that you can easily lead your family in fun times of learning and sharing what the Lord has taught you throughout the week.

Click here to see "Bible Bee Basics"

Other resources, such as custom Musical Scripture CD's (word perfect verses in any of five translations), several computer software games and programs and an iPod/iPhone app, all help make Bible memorization an attainable goal for you and your family.

You can join with other Bible Bee families at fun summer events led by Local Hosts! 

Your children can show their progress in the Word at an encouraging Celebration Day on Saturday, August 25th!  The top 300 from across the country will be invited to compete for $260,000 in prize money at the National Competition!

Finally, the material you were looking for to help your whole family grow in your relationships with Christ, together!

Family Registration is open April 1- May 31st at http://www.BibleBee.org.     Click here to read the 2012 Competition Rulebook.

--

To subscribe, send ANY message to: hopechest-subscribe@welovegod.org
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: hopechest-unsubscribe@welovegod.org
Visit my web site at http://www.VirginiaKnowles.com