Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Merry Christmas to ALL, and to all a good LIFE!

Posted by: virginiaknowles <virginiaknowles@...>

Dear Hope Chest friends,

Here we are in December again, and the Christmas season is upon us!   We've been decorating at our house, as you can see here: 

Easy Christmas Decorating on a Dime.  I'll send out a family letter later in the month with a recipe for the chocolate caramel goodies from my sister-in-law Dana, but for now, I'd like to reflect...

Did you happen to catch the title of this edition of the Hope Chest?  To ALL, not just some, not just our own friends and family. And a good LIFE, not just a good night. (Although I could use one of the those, too.  I've been down with the flu, coughing and sinus pressure for four days.  It would be nice to sleep.)

Anyway, I've been thinking lately, as so many of you have, about how many people are in survival mode at Christmastime.  And I'm not talking about how they have just crammed their schedules too busy or they are running around trying to buy all of their gifts in time.

I am talking about real survival mode.  As in: they don't have enough food to eat, decent clothes to wear, proper medical attention, maybe even a roof over their heads.  Or they might be struggling through chronic pain or handicaps - physical, emotional, and or spiritual.  They might be afflicted with mental illness.  They might just be lonely or anxious, or grieving the loss of loved ones.

Think through the people you know, or even those whom you don't know yet.  What are they going through right now?  How can you help?

Where are they?  In a Third World country around the globe from you, on the streets downtown, in a decent enough home down the street from you, or, chances are, they might be living at your house.  This might be you.   

As it turns out, someone was in a parking lot at a shopping center not far from me.  Read on...

"Good afternoon! I saw your Jesus fish & felt led to leave you this note. I hope you don't feel too awkward that I left it. 🙂  I'd like to ask that you please pray for my husband R--- and our 12 y.o. son L--- (most especially) and myself.  We've been battling the enemy through the past 9 months of an unusually high degree of tribulation: physical disabilities, illness, pain, and catastrophic financial hardship.  While we persevere in holding fast to our faith, we trust in the perfect will of our Master.  Please pray that the homelessness resulting from these trials ends before Christmas and that our son recovers swiftly.  Thank you so very much! Peace and blessings, M---" 

I found this little note penned on a scrap of paper wedged into the window of my van while I was out shopping for school supplies.

Can you even read this and not cry?

If I had any way of contacting her, I would do something.  I will do what she asked, which is to pray.  Will you join me, not only for her family, but for others in need this holiday season and year round?

The Jesus Holiday Poem

Jesus, we have lost you, not even seeking, thus not finding

Maybe especially this season in the fancies and parties -- but

It is so easy to decry these, to point the fingers,

To insist that clerks greet us properly with "Merry CHRISTmas!" 

instead of "Happy Holidays."

In our religious circles we find sacred systems, rigid rules, excess expectations, 

Theological Thou-Shalt-Nots that THOU hast not said 

In our religious circles we put God in a box and wrap it fancy and tight

Yet drawn into your circle, do we not find plain liberty and lavish love instead?

If we are looking for you, we must go to the end of the line, 

(Which is the beginning, since the last will be first)

We will find you walking among those who mourn, 

With the poor, the prisoner, the outcast, the trafficked child.

You are the Physician who came to seek the sick, not the healthy.

You make house calls, or for those who have no homes 

(As you did not), the alleyway will do.

You are the Savior to the lost sheep, to the prodigal son.

We are here and now your hands, feet, eyes, ears, mouth

Let us go and look and love and pray and give and serve and set free

May we see your face as we follow your way

May we find you and, empty as we are, be filled.

I write an Advent poem every year. This 2012 offering is reminiscent of 2007's: 

Corpus Christi (Body of Christ).  You may also like The Paradox.

My daughter Julia and her husband Alex are such a good examples to me.  As they did two years ago, they are organizing a homeless outreach for January.  They are taking a team of Jesus-lovers to downtown Orlando to pass around blankets, sleeping bags, warm jackets, scarves, socks, toiletries, snack bags, Gospel of John booklets and fresh baked goods.  I've been hoping to put together first aid kits; fortunately, our dear friend Mark, who sells first aid supplies, just sent us a substantial box of all kinds of first aid stuff to help.  

I've also been cleaning out the winter bins in our storage room, gathering up blankets and coats and tote bags that we don't really need.   I also found some fancier clothes (passed on to us from a neighbor) that won't be suitable for the homeless, but could be sold at a consignment shop to fund this outreach, too.  It's worth the effort.  (Note: When I dropped off clothes at one consignment store, I asked the lady if she had any extra coats to pass along.  She said she'd ask her manager later, but after we walked out of the store, she ran out to my van with three of them.  God bless her.)

If you live in the area and want to participate, either by giving or going, please let me know and I will send you times and locations. (See also my other blog posts here: Gathering Gifts for the Poor and Homeless.)

And if you want to get a clear picture of who Jesus really was and still is, read the Gospels.  You can start with the book of John.

P.S. You might also like to listen to Brandon Heath's song "Give Me Your Eyes".)

Note: the above article first appeared on my main blog at A Note Wedged into the Window on My Van (And a Fresh Advent Poem).

What do you think?

What can you do?

Think and act globally: Give.  Send. Go.   See my links below...  (Yeah, that rhymes.  Deal with it.)

• Harvest of Hope with Partners International - gift catalog of items you can order to be sent to impoverished people around the world. Piglets anyone?  Or how about medicine, or school supplies, or clean water, or therapy for a disabled child?  There are plenty of options to fit your budget and get your kids involved!
  • Christmas in Malawi, Christmas in America
  • Gathering Gifts for the Poor - ways you can give locally and globally 
  • Buy the CD, It Happened One Night, a benefit for the work of International Justice Mission in bringing liberty to the oppressed around the world.  Why yes, you do want to listen to Sara Groves, Kari Jobe, Brandon Heath, David Crowder, Matt Maher, Laura Story, Mandisa and more... Beauty. Justice. What more could you ask for at Christmastime?  While you're at it, go over to the IJM web site and donate there, too!
Think and act locally

• Invite an international student or someone else who has no local family over for a holiday meal, even if it is not right on Christmas Day.   
  • Talk to a lonely friend.  A cup of tea?  A listening ear for sure.  Listen, don't lecture.
  • Watch what you say to people, especially among those whom you don't know really, really well.  You might make a critical comment about "other people's problems" (such as substance abuse, financial issues, family crisis, mental illness, etc.) not realizing that those in your presence are affected by it too.  You don't always know what someone is going through, and if you are throwing off negative vibes, you can be sure they won't be eager to tell you about it, unless it is to tell you off for being insensitive. 🙁

• Be extra sensitive and gracious to families with special needs children.  Read here: Making It Through the Holidays with Children Who Have Special Needs (at Karen Campell's That Mom blog)

• Offer to watch friends' kids so the stressed out parents (especially a single mom) can go out for some alone time, a date with a hubby or friend, or a holiday party. 
  • Take a fancy casserole or a plate of Christmas cookies to a shut in.  
  • Sing Christmas carols at a nursing home.  
  • Write letters to your elderly relatives.  Add pictures that your kids have made.
  • Help an elderly or handicapped friend decorate for Christmas.  They can't always reach up high or lift boxes.

• Throw a Christmas craft party for neighbor kids.  Provide all of the supplies for projects for various ages and interests. Make sure you serve lots of yummy snacks!   And tell them about Jesus.  Yes, tell them about Jesus.
  • Go serve the Christmas meal at the homeless shelter.  
  • Donate non-perishable foods or gift cards to a food drive. 
  • Pick out gifts for a needy someone in your community. (Ask your pastor for the names of needy folks or worthy organizations.)  
  • Be a Secret Santa and drop a bag of goodies or presents off on a doorstep of someone you know.  

THIS IS CHRISTMAS!

Here are more links on how you can make the Christmas season -- and life beyond -- much more merry for someone else.

Coping with Stress, Depression, Anxiety, Family Conflicts

Food & Decorating

Family Time and Education

My Advent Poetry

Inspiration, Music, and Art

--

To subscribe, send ANY message to: hopechest-subscribe@welovegod.org
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: hopechest-unsubscribe@welovegod.org
Visit my web site at http://www.VirginiaKnowles.com