Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Re: SUNDAY MORNING SERMON ON ROMANS 1:13-17

Posted by: DRjim <DRjim@...>

Jack

Looks like a very good sermon.

JIMMc

Pastor Jack Peters wrote:

ROMANS 1:13-17 - PAGE 1

MINDSET FOR MISSIONS, AM 4/14/02

Pastor Jack Peters, Mt. Union Bible Church, West Valley, PA

Over the last month or so, we have had contact with a lot of missionaries, beginning with Steve and Pam Hill missionaries to Lesotho, Africa. Last week we heard from Bill and Lois Zeeb and Don and Zoe Peffer, missionaries to Brazil. We also heard from Tom Simcox, missionary to the Jewish people through Friends of Israel. Today, of course, our own Matt and Angie Hall are here, and they are our missionaries to Papua, New Guinea.

Besides all being saved, these people have something else in common. They have a mindset, a heart for missions! They are concerned for the people to whom they have been sent by God, and they want to see them come to know Christ as Savior.

If we as a church are going to be the best possible help to these missionaries, and if we are going to reach our own community for Christ, we too, need a mindset for missions. We need to have the right Biblical perspective for reaching people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am not saying that anyone of us will be a full time missionary, although that is possible. I am saying that if we have a missions mindset we will be more effective in our service for Christ and our missionaries.

As part of our yearlong emphasis on memorization of and meditation upon the Word of God, I have been preaching on most of the memory verses that we have had each week. This morning we are considering two verses chosen because last week was our missionary conference.

Romans 1:16-17 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

In Romans 1:13-17 I believe that the Apostle Paul reveals to us his own personal mindset for missions. Paul, a missionary himself, shows what it is like to have a heart for missions.

In looking at this passage I found five questions that we can ask that will help us determine if we too have a mindset for missions. If you have the notes on the bulletin insert, you already have these questions before you.

WHAT IS MY DESIRE? - Vs. 13

Vs. 13 - Have you noticed that we don't always get what we

want? Even when what we want is good, God doesn't

always give it to us, or he makes us wait until His

timing is perfect.

Paul wanted to go to Rome. However, God did not allow Paul to go to Rome at that point in his ministry. He would later arrive in Rome as a prisoner. As a prisoner, he would win many to Christ, especially soldiers.

Paul was hindered from going to Rome, but that did not stop him from serving God as a missionary where he was. And that did not stop Paul's desire to bear fruit in Rome as he did among other Gentiles. I believe the fruit being referred to here is people coming to know Christ as Savior.

We might want to go on a short-term missions trip.

We might want to share Christ with a specific person or a specific people group. And God may seem to say, "no".

However, the most important thing is to serve Christ and share Christ with others right where we live.

Paul not only wanted to bear fruit in Rome, but wherever he was.

Wherever Paul went he tried to communicate the Gospel of Christ to Jew and Gentile alike. He desired to see people saved.

My friend, you and I will not be fruitful in the area of witnessing for Christ unless we want to be.

I believe that every Christian is called to be a missionary. Some are called to be missionaries on foreign soil or another part of their country. Others, like us, are called to be missionaries right where they are. Consider the pattern that Jesus gave for missions.

Acts 1:8 - But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Many of us need to stay in Jerusalem to reach the people on our home turf, as well as to work and support those who are going on the road with the Gospel.

Lydia Bowser went to Moody Bible Institute, but came back because she was home sick. But think of how many children she's won to Christ through the Good News Club ministry. She's stayed in her Jerusalem and has been fruitful.

• You will not be a good ambassador for Jesus Christ unless you have a desire for people to be saved.
  • You will not be a good ambassador for Jesus Christ unless you desire to be used of God in bringing people to Christ.
  • Why should you have a desire to be fruitful in witnessing for Christ?

John 3:17-18 - For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

So, what is your desire?

Is it to be usable as a missionary for Christ right where you are?

If it isn't your desire, why isn't it?

DO I SEE MYSELF AS A DEBTOR? - Vs. 14

Vs. 14 - A debtor is someone who has an obligation.

He owes someone something.

Paul considered himself a debtor. He had an obligation to non-Jews.

There was good reason for Paul to feel this way. Before Paul was saved, he was antagonistic to the Gospel. When God saved Paul, he saved him so that he would be a missionary to the Gentile. This is what Jesus told Paul when he appeared to him on the Road to Damascus:

Acts 26:16-18 - But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; [17] Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, [18] To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

And Paul, never got over the fact that Jesus saved him and gave him a ministry. 1 Timothy 1:12-13 - And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; [13] Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

So we understand why Paul felt indebted to do missionary work.

But, why should we feel indebted?

If you are a Christian, God has saved you from an eternity in hell. Out of appreciation, you should love Christ, and want others to know Him personally. Christ loved you enough to save you. You should love Him enough to tell others what He has done for you.

If you are a Christian, you know something that other people don't know. It is your obligation to tell them what you know.

Psalm 107:2 - Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Shortly before we moved to Fonda, New York, a bridge on the New York State Thruway washed away during a storm. Several people lost their lives because they didn't know the bridge was out. If you were traveling on that highway that night and someone up ahead flagged you down and warned you, what would you do besides thanking him? You should feel an obligation to help that person stopping others from going over that bridge.

We know that a person without Christ is in trouble.

Because of what we know, we are obligated to share that information with others.

1 Peter 3:15 - But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

My friend, do you feel any obligation, any debt because of what Christ has done for you and because of what you know that can help others?

AM I DEDICATED? - Vss. 15-16a

Romans 1:15-16a - So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. [16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:

There a lot of dedicated people around here.

• There are people dedicated to hunting.
  • There are people dedicated to yard sales.
  • There are people dedicated to eating.
  • There are people dedicated to learning.
  • There are people dedicated to taking care of their children.
  • There are people dedicated to the internet.
  • There are people dedicated to their husbands and wives.
  • There are people dedicated to their friends.

Usually, a dedicated person:

• Likes what he or she is dedicated to
  • Believes in what he or she is dedicated to
  • Persists at doing what he or she is dedicated to
  • Spends time doing what he or she is dedicated to
  • Talks about what he or she is dedicated to

Paul was dedicated to sharing Christ with others.

It showed in two ways.

First of all, Paul was eager to share.

That word "ready" in verse 15 means "eager".

Paul was eager to share what had made him free.

He wanted people to know about Christ, and because he was eager to share, he did it often.

Because Paul was eager to share Christ, he was dedicated, as the following verses show.

Acts 20:16-21 - For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. [17] And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church. [18] And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons, [19] Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews: [20] And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, [21] Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul was not only dedicated because he was eager, but because he was not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.

If you are truly dedicated to Christ, you will not be ashamed of his Gospel.

Many times we fail to communicate the Gospel to our own family members, because we don't want them to get angry with us.

Many times we fail to communicate the Gospel to our friends because we don't want to lose their friendship.

Many times we fail to communicate the Gospel of Christ because we do not want to open ourselves up to ridicule.

Jan Johnson - "Many believers are 'rabbit hole' Christians. In the morning they pop out of their safe Christian homes, hold their breath at work, scurry home to their families and then off to

their Bible studies, and finally end the day praying for the unbelievers they safely avoided all day." Jan Johnson in Moody Monthly (Nov. 1987). Christianity Today, Vol. 32, no. 8

On one occasion Frederick the Great invited some notable people to his royal table, including his top-ranking generals. One of them by the name of Hans von Zieten declined the invitation because he wanted to partake of communion at his church.

Some time later at another banquet Frederick and his guests mocked the general for his religious scruples and made jokes about the Lord’s supper.

In great peril of his life, the officer stood to his feet and said respectfully to the monarch, "My lord, there is a greater King than you, a King to whom I have sworn allegiance even unto death. I am a Christian man, and I cannot sit quietly as the Lord’s name is dishonored, His character belittled, and His cause subjected to ridicule. With your permission I shall withdraw."

The other generals trembled in silence, knowing that von Zieten might be killed. But to their surprise, Frederick grasped the hand of this courageous man, asked his forgiveness, and requested that he remain. He promised that he would never again allow such a travesty to be made of sacred things. Our Daily Bread http://www.bible.org/illus/nt/nt-386.htm#TopOfPage

What do you do when Christ is ridiculed in your presence.

What do you do when God gives you the opportunity to speak in his behalf?

Are you dedicated enough to be eager to share?

Are you dedicated enough to not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ?

WHAT IS MY DYNAMIC? - Vs. 16b

In other words, what is the source of my power? On what am I relying for strength as I share the Gospel?

Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

The Gospel of Christ is the power of God.

When you share the Gospel of Christ, you can expect God to work in his power.

That doesn't mean that everyone who hears the Gospel will be saved. But it does mean that when you present the Gospel some will be saved.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 - And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. [2] For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. [3] And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. [4] And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: [5] That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

A drunken lawyer was witnessed to by a friend and got saved. The drunken lawyer went on to the editor of the Scoefield Study Bible.

A shoe salesman was visited and witnessed to by his Sunday School teacher. The shoe salesman went on to become one of the world's best known evangelists, Dwight L. Moody.

A pastor preached the Gospel at a Christmas Eve Service. The end result - a man who said he'd never darken the door of that church came to Christ. The man's name was Mike Weber. I was that preacher.

My friend, when we share the Gospel of Christ, we have the power of God working on our side? Are you using it as your dynamic?

ON WHOM DO I DEPEND? - Vs. 17

Vs. 17 - Only righteous people go to Heaven.

There's only one problem. Nobody's righteous.

Romans 3:10 - As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

So how can anybody get into Heaven if none of us our righteous?

The key word is "faith" in verse 17.

Jesus was righteous. Jesus did no sin.

Jesus died in your place on the cross of Calvary.

The gospel is summed up in 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 - For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; [4] And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

To believe the Gospel to depend on the fact that a righteous God died in your place. And because God the Son died in your place, God the Father, will make declare you righteous when you place your faith in Christ.

Romans 5:1 - Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 1:17 - …The just shall live by faith.

Are you depending on Christ for your salvation?

And Christian are you depending on Christ for daily strength?

You must continue to live by faith after being saved!

So how is your mindset for missions?

WHAT IS YOUR DESIRE? - Vs. 13

DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS A DEBTOR? - Vs. 14

AM YOU DEDICATED? - Vss. 15-16a

WHAT IS YOUR DYNAMIC? - Vs. 16b

ON WHOM DO YOU DEPEND? - Vs. 17

ON WHOM DO I DEPEND? - Vs. 17______________________________________________ Pastor Jack Peters
Ezra 7:10
AOL INSTANT MESSENGING SCREEN NAME - JackPeters47
MSN MESSENGER SCREEN NAME - johnwpeters@hotmail.com
Looking for preaching and teaching ideas?
Try Sermon Seeds!
http://www.sermonseeds.org