Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Sept. 2013 Packing Lunches, Sewing, ABC Scriptures, Recipes, Baby Wipe s

Posted by: jhbreneman <jhbreneman@...>

HEART TO HEART NEWSLETTER 

I nearly panicked when our first daughter was born. That sweet baby girl.

Not sure exactly why, but I keenly and immediately felt my inadequacy as a mother. It’s true we had a son, but I guess I figured that if things ever went wrong, I could always hand him over to his dad.

But a girl…..?

I knew a girl needs her mother.

I knew a mom has to care for her heart – oh, how well I knew!

I knew she would turn to me to learn how to be a woman and to navigate the complexities of life.

What I didn’t know was just how to go about it. How does a mom look after her daughter’s heart?

1.  Walk together.  The girls and I have some of our best talks when we’re out walking together. Maybe it’s the fresh air, or the steady movement of our legs, but there’s something about it that opens hearts and minds to good conversation.

2.  Take tea together. Although we have a very busy household, most every day we sit down and enjoy a cup of tea for 15 to 30 minutes. It’s a daily connecting point and a nice opportunity to bring up questions, grievances, or just fun news.

3.  Bring home little gifts. This is the “love language” of one of our daughters in particular. It’s only something small, but it says to her that I’m thinking of her. And all my girls appreciate the sharing of a bit of chocolate.

4.  Set aside a special time for her. The girls love it when we make special plans together. Sometimes I’ll grab one and take her out to a cafe. Or we’ll all dress up and attend a fancy event for an evening.

5.  Work together. For me, it’s less about “getting the job done” and more about the camaraderie of working together. Talking and laughing while we fold clothes or prepare a meal.

6.  Seek her out. Don’t wait for her to come to you. My girls mentioned recently how much they appreciate being checked on to see how they’re doing.

7.  Take the time to listen. Lots of time. A girl’s heart cannot be rushed or squeezed in between a zillion other priorities. She needs her mom to be available to simply listen to her thoughts and concerns. Her fears and her insecurities. Her hopes and her dreams.

8.  Pray for insight. It isn’t always clear how to reach through to your daughter. Be prepared to earnestly pray over her, asking the Lord to show you what she needs from her mom.

9.  Guide her with wise instruction. A daughter relies on her mom’s wisdom and solid counsel – helping her to sort through the choices, relationships, struggles, and challenges that face a young woman.

10. Enjoy her for who she is. She is uniquely made by God. So delight in her personality, her gifts, and, yes, even her more annoying traits. She needs to feel her mother’s loving acceptance.

11. Be patient with the process. She’s not going to get it all right, all the time. And that’s okay. I’ll remind myself, “How it is today, isn’t necessarily how it’s always going to be.” Give her room to grow.

12. Offer encouragement. Tell her specific things that you admire and appreciate about her. Communicate that you are confident in her future and that God has good plans in store for her life.

So, as you see, it takes a significant amount of time and effort to connect with a girl’s heart. It’s not simple and it’s certainly not a science. No wonder I panicked.

But your daughter – that sweet baby girl – sure is worth it, isn’t she?

Yeah, I think so too.

These are a few of the ways I connect with the girls in our family. What are some of yours?

ABC SCRIPTURE MEMORY VERSES
by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart - 2013

Parents, this is a great way to teach your small children the Word of God and have fun at the same time!  If you find a more suitable verse to substitute for any of the letters, please go ahead, to make this list work best for you and your children!  This concept of putting a scripture verse with each letter of the alphabet is a great activity for any age - even adults - to do while lying in bed, unable to sleep.

A...All scripture is inspired by God. (II Timothy 3:16)
B...Be ye kind to one another, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you. (Eph. 4:32)
C...Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. (Eph. 6:1)
D...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Luke 6:31)
E...Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure and whether it be right. (Prov. 20:11)
F...For He will give His angels charge concerning you to guard you in all your ways. (Psm. 91:11)
G...God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him has everlasting life. (John 3:16)
H...He who walks with wise men will be wise. (Prov. 13:20)
I...I was glad when they said unto me, "Let us go into the house of the Lord." (Psm. 122:1)
J...Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever. (Heb. 13:8)
K...Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. (Psm. 34:14)
L...Love your neighbor as yourself. (Matt.22:39)
M...My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory. (Phil. 4:19)
N...(Near) Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. (James 4:8)
O...Oh, how I love Your Word. (Psm. 119:97)
P...Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Prov. 16:24)
Q...(Quarrel) The Lord's servants must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone. (I Tim. 2:24)
R...Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice. (Phil. 4:4)
S...Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. (Matt. 6:33)
T...Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. (Prov. 3:5)
U...Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain that build it. (Psm. 127:1)
V... Verily, verily, I say unto you, you must be born again. (John 3:3)
W...Whatever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord and not unto men. (Col. 3:23)
X...(Exceeding) Now unto Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think. (Eph.3:20)
Y...You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. (Matt. 22:37)
Z...(Zeal) Never be lacking in zeal. (Rom. 12:11)

BEING AN EFFECTIVE WITNESS FROM YOUR HOME COMPUTER
Written by Loretta Dillon on August 19, 2013, for the Heart to Heart Newsletter
(Note from Lois:  Ladies, this is a wonderful opportunity to share Christ with the world from your own computer!)

Have you ever read Jesus’ words “…Go ye…” in Mark 16:15?

Have you ever thought, as I have, “He’s talking to me!” ?

It’s a very personal command which our Lord has given, “…You go…into all the world…” But, how is that possible?

I’ve known for many years that it’s possible for me to follow Jesus' command through personal prayer and through financial giving. World missions has been a strong interest in my life since I was young. But how can I, a senior citizen with more than a few daily aches and pains be more personally involved?

In June 2011, I found out!  There is a way I can be more personally involved - with people from all over the world, people who are seeking spiritual truth, people whom God loves and with whom He wants to have a close relationship.  The link, http://www.MissionaryFromHome.com  showed me how I can be a missionary to all the nations without leaving my home.

For two years I’ve spent part of every day sitting at the computer and talking by way of email with people from many countries. These are people who have found one of the many web sites which are available through Global Media Outreach, sharing the gospel in over 20 languages with hundreds of thousands of seekers every day.

I have met people like my 17 year old friend in Nigeria who’s the only Christian in his family of another faith. He did an online Bible study on the entire Gospel of Mark using his cell phone. He completed the ten lesson course in less than a month.

My 23 year old Zimbabwean friend completed the same course of study in ten days using his cell phone.

I have met people like T…. from Indonesia who wrote saying, “I haven’t prayed to receive Christ as my personal Savior, but I want to investigate more.” I sent a message developed for people from a background other than Christian. The next day he wrote back telling me he had just prayed to receive Christ for the first time.  

I was distressed when I met a young woman who was working as a prostitute in an African hotel. L…. claimed to be a Christian and wanted to grow spiritually. She was so happy that a man was offering to pay her expenses to take her to Europe or America and pay for her education so she could become a lawyer. He was supposed to come back for her in about a week. I panicked, and prayed, and panicked some more. I wrote to her telling her how human trafficking works but she kept on making her plans.. I wasn’t able to continue writing when she told me she didn’t believe what I was saying. The best part of the story is that I know a missionary whose ministry office is close to the hotel where L…. worked and I was able to connect them. They’ve met, L…. has visited in my friend’s home and attended church with her and her husband. Every time I think about this – a complete “Godthing” - I’m amazed that our holy God would orchestrate all of these details to reach one immoral young woman whom He loves. It’s a lesson on His great love and His gracious willingness to use someone who’s subject to panic when I should have been trusting!

What a thrilling and humbling experience to be a part of what God’s doing all over the world through internet evangelism!

There are guidelines and training for anyone who feels like God might want them to be a part of this ministry. Please go to http://www.gmojoinus.com for more information.

If you qualify to be a mentor, be prepared for a few heartaches and abundant blessings!

To Qualify:
You need to …
  • Be familiar with using a web browser and writing emails.
  • Check emails regularly and spend 15 minutes (minimum) to respond.
  • Have prayerfully asked God about joining us.
  • Have your church pastor be willing to act as your referee. We’ll need their phone  number and email address.
  • Complete an online application form (allow 30 minutes).
 We provide ... 
  • Online training that teaches you how to prepare responses.
  • Web sites containing answers to common questions, gospel presentations, discipling materials and searchable Bibles.
  • You can set the number of emails you respond to each week.
  • Team leaders review some emails you send in order to help you learn more and to ensure the safety of everyone.
  • You can also set up your own personal webpage where YOUR network of friends can:
    • read YOUR faith story
    • watch the JESUS film
    • Listen to the New Testament
    • Read the Bible
    • Email their questions to YOU (see mylanguage.net.au/valuegod for details)

Got more questions?

If you have more questions, first read our list of frequently asked questions .

EGGS WITH EXTRA COLOR AND FLAVOR
Fancy Fried Eggs ~ Lay 1/2-inch rings of sweet red, orange, yellow or green pepper in a small frying pan with coconut oil already melted.  Crack a pastured egg into each one.  You won't need to turn the eggs if you add about a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Continue to cook on a low setting, and the yellow yolks of the eggs will get a white coating from the steam.  Cook very slowly until done according to your liking.

Scrambled Eggs in Pepper Rings ~ Mix scrambled eggs with a little water, salt and pepper.  Lay 1/2-inch rings of sweet red, orange, yellow or green pepper in a frying pan with coconut oil already melted.  Pour enough scrambled egg mixture into each pepper ring so it doesn't overflow.

Scrambled Eggs with Vegetables ~ Melt coconut oil in a pan and saute' a sliced onion and grated carrots until tender.  Beat eggs and salt with a small amount of water (for fluffier eggs).  Toss sliced fresh spinach into the pan of vegetables, just before pouring the eggs into the cooked vegetables.

SESAME GRILLED CHICKEN
Thanks to Katie Fagan in Virginia for sending this recipe!

Marinade:
1 Tbsp. sesame seed oil
3 garlic cloves
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar (Stevia would be a good substitute)
2 Tbsp. ginger root (grated)
¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
4 scallions (chopped)

6 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds (toasted)

Combine marinade ingredients. Add chicken and marinate 3 hours or overnight. Remove chicken from marinade and grill over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes on each side, basting with marinade. Toast sesame seeds in frying pan over medium heat, shaking to prevent burning. Sprinkle over grilled chicken. Serve with steamed veggies and rice or couscous.

LIME-KISSED FRUIT
Thanks to Katie Fagan in Virginia for sending this recipe!

1/4 cup honey
3 oz. frozen limeade concentrate

1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
1 3/4 lbs. fruit salad (strawberries, peaches/nectarines, melons, pineapple, bananas, apples, grapes, kiwi, etc.

Whisk honey, limeade, and poppy seeds together in the container you'd like to serve it in.  Add fruit salad and toss to coat fruit.  Chill until ready to serve.

GRAIN-FREE PANCAKES
Serves 2 

1/4 cup coconut flour
1 Tbsp. plain gelatin (grass fed is best)
4 eggs at room temp. (pastured are best)
1 heaping Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 coconut milk or cream
coconut oil for frying

Mix flour and gelatin together.  Add eggs and beat to a smooth paste.  Stir in the coconut oil; add the milk or cream and mix.
Cook about 12 small pancakes in a hot skillet with melted coconut oil.  Turn over when the edges and center turn opaque.
Serve with butter or ghee melted on top, and Fresh Fruity Syrup as a replacement for syrup.

Fresh Fruity Syrup
Fruit suggestions for syrup replacement: blueberries, peaches, strawberries, pineapple, or mangoes.  Bananas or natural applesauce would be good in combination to any of the fruits listed above.  Add a small amount of stevia for sweetness.  Blend in a blender or Magic Bullet.

PARENTING INSIGHT YOU CAN USE NOW
This parenting tip comes from the book The Christian Parenting Handbook: 50 Heart-Based Strategies for All the Stages of Your Child's Life by Dr Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN - Used by permission

Developing internal motivation in children is one of the fast tracks to help them toward maturity. Unfortunately, too often parents use external motivators to get their kids to move forward. “If you get your homework done then you can go out and play.” “If you clean your room then you can have some computer time.” This approach basically says, “If you do what I say, I’ll give you what you want.” Children trained this way often develop a mentality that focuses on external motivation instead of developing the internal motivations they’ll need to be responsible and mature.

God is interested in the heart. The heart contains motivations, emotions, convictions, and values. A heart-based approach to parenting looks deeper. When parents focus on the heart, then kids learn to ask the question, “What’s the right thing to do?”

A heart-based approach shares values and reasons behind rules. It requires more discussions with kids, helping children understand how their hearts are resistant and the need to develop cooperation. A heart-based approach is firm but also relational. It’s a different mindset for some parents and looks at the interaction of family life differently. Instead of simply getting the room cleaned and the dishes put away, parents are more interested in developing character, values, and convictions.

Another opportunity to focus on the heart is during times of correction. “I can see you’re angry because I said no. You need to take a break for a bit and settle your heart down and when you’re ready, come back and we’ll talk about it.” A heart approach requires a child to settle down first and then have a discussion with the parent about the problem and a better course of action. Address heart issues, not just behavior, and help children see things from a deeper perspective. Over time children will be able to understand what’s right, and internal motivation will come.

NATURAL BABY WIPES MADE WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
Make these natural baby wipes for a safe, sweet-smelling, and germ-eliminating substitute to much more expensive baby wipes.

You will need:
1 roll Bounty paper towels or another high quality brand
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons fractionated coconut oil (even olive oil would work)
3 drops lavender essential oil (good for skin and so much more)
3 drops tea tree essential oil (anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, etc.)
An airtight storage container (Cool Whip), an empty Baby Wipes container, or a wet bag

Cut paper towel roll in half with a serrated or electric knife. Place half of the roll in a container.  Save the other half for the next batch.
Combine water, fractionated coconut oil, as well as lavender and tea tree essential oils in a small bowl.
Pour the mixture over the paper towels and cover with the airtight lid.
Allow the mixture absorb into the towels for 10 minutes before turning the container over to absorb for another 10 minutes.
Remove and discard the cardboard tube in the center. Then simply pull the wipes from the center when you are ready to use.

Notes: Use travel size wipe containers for diaper bags, your purse, or car.  Even small Tupperware containers work well.

Another way to use this solution in the nursery would be to keep this solution in a small covered container, with a box of tissues next to it for dipping into the solution as needed for diaper changes.  When my children were in diapers, I used Amyway Liquid Organic Cleaner (LOC) in water for cleaning up.  Either way, this is a great money-saving tip as well!

PRECIOUS GEMS
Ladies, thanks for allowing me to include your children's cute quotes in Heart to Heart!  They're great!

Here's a boy who looks on the bright side of life!
Malakai (5): "If you get swallowed by a whale, it's okay, because you can exit out the blow hole!" ~ Danielle in Alabama

At the Capitol asking a policeman for directions and I hear from my five year old (a very loud) "Mommy, he smell really good...smells like peanut butter and jelly! I LOVE peanut butter and jelly!" ~ Danielle in Alabama

Wisdom from a 9 year old: "The most fun things always require cleaning up." ~ Michelle in Virginia

Me to Jocy (5): "You are as cute as a button."
Jocy to me: "You are as cute as a pancake." ~ Beth in Ohio

Me: So, what did you learn about in church today?
Austin (5): Ummmm, I don't remember...Oh wait!  I think it was something about Paul.
Me: Do you remember which story?
Austin: Um...oh yeah.  Cruella and Priscilla.  They made tents.
Me: You mean Aquilla and Priscilla?
Austin: Yeah, Gorilla and Priscilla. ~ Emily in Virginia

Joshua (12) just told me about an exercise he did at practice today that really works your "thyroid."  Hmmmm.....well, that's interesting, but it's thighs - not thyroid.  He makes me laugh! ~ Penny in Virginia

Best quote from my niece while I was cleaning tonight. "I feel like you are the eye of a hurricane and I should run!" ~ Elizabeth in Virginia

Tonight Mia (4) asked me what we were having for dinner.  I replied, "Ham."   "No," she said, "What's for dinner?"  "Ham," I answered.  "Mommy, stop calling me a ham!" she said. ~ Elizabeth in Virginia

I was saying good-night to Levi (6) and he asked, in a very sad voice, "Mama, how old will you be when you die?" 
Mama: "Only God knows that, Champ, but lots of people live until they're pretty old."
Levi's reply: "Old like what----20?" ~ Rachel in Virginia

Savannah (5): "Mom, if you have a tan does your baby still get white milk?  Because I think some might get chocolate." ~ Lauren in Virginia

Tonight before tucking Samara (4) in bed, I read a book to her called "Jesus Must Be Really Special." And then we were having a conversation about God, and she said, "When people do something really bad, God hates them and be's mean to them." I told her, "No, God doesn't hate people. He loves people, but He is very sad when someone doesn't love and obey Him." Then Samara responded, referring to another book she has, about the fruits of the Spirit. She said, "Yes, and Jesus loves the children running to Him in the field. It's in my book about the begetables of the Spirit." ~ Diane in Montana

I told my granddaughter, Ryan Elizabeth (6), that my parents almost named me Julia when I was born, and I always liked that name (or Julie).  Then with big eyes, she asked, "You mean they named you 'Grammie' instead?" ~ Lois

Mia (4) prayed tonight and said, "Thank you for Mommy, not Mommy, but a different one."  Haha, I guess we butted heads more than I thought today! ~ Elizabeth in Virginia
Savannah (5): "Why does it look like a baby is in your belly?"
Me: "It just takes time to everything to go back like it was.  Bit it's getting smaller each day."
Savannah: "Yeah.  And that's good." ~ Lauren in Virginia
A man and his wife were making their first doctor visit, the wife being pregnant with their first child.  After everything checked out, the doctor took a small stamp and stamped the wife's stomach with indelible ink.  The couple was curious about what the stamp was for, so when they got home, the husband got out his magnifying glass to try to see what it was.  In very tiny letters, the stamp said, "When you can read this, come back and see me." ~ from the Biblical Parenting Update from the National Center for Biblical Parenting - parent@biblicalparenting.org.

A QUOTE FROM A SUBSCRIBER'S HUSBAND ~ WITH A STORY
Used by permission
Only GOD can turn a MESS into a MESSage,
      a TEST into a TESTimony,
            a TRIal into a TRIumph,
                  a VICTim into a VICTory!

Thanks to Larry, the widower of a former Heart to Heart subscriber, Michelle, who shared the following quote with me.  He had written to have his dear wife's e-mail address removed from the Heart to Heart e-mailing list, because she had passed away after losing a battle with cancer. 

Larry said, "It was Michelle's wish that God be glorified by her life and death.  God has been so good to us! The cancer hit Michelle pretty hard back in 2010.  I wanted you all to know that she was an amazing woman.  It was the hardest thing that I ever did but I felt compelled to stand up at her funeral, and read portions from Proverbs 31.  Our children and I applauded her and it turned into a standing ovation!  You can read more about my virtuous wife at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/michellelanham/journal "

Larry said how he remembers Michelle telling him about some things that she had read in the Heart to Heart newsletters.  She leaves behind her husband, Larry, and two precious young daughters.  Please lift them up to the Lord in prayer.  Thank you!

Ladies, I would love to hear from you anytime!
Simply reply to any newsletter and share your thoughts with me.
Let me know what you like best and least about the newsletter.
I'm always looking for cute quotes from kids (old or new would be great)!

I pray each of you found something in this edition to bless, encourage and teach you!
Please remember to pray for each dear Heart to Heart lady and her family,
because so many ladies are going through very tough times and need our prayers!
Some have lost loved ones, others have lost jobs, homes, or their good health.

Pray each day for the protection of our troops, and for their families left at home,
as well as adjustment and employment after they return home.

God bless you and your family and keep you in His loving care!
Your "Heart to Heart" friend
Lois

Disclaimer: Various websites may be given as credits or to supply additional information for readers. However, all the views and advertisements represented by websites in this newsletter are not necessarily the views of the editor. Please use your own discretion and common sense regarding all information given in this newsletter.

--

To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: heart2heart-unsubscribe@welovegod.org