Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

SERMON SEEDS F8 FOR 4/29/02

Posted by: jpeters <jpeters@...>

WELCOME TO SERMON SEEDS FOR APRIL 29, 2002

IF SERMON SEEDS IS HELPFUL TO YOU, PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO SOMEONE ELSE!

UPDATE ON PASTOR DOUG WINN - Pastor Doug Winn is in a rehabilitation unit of the same hospital. He is feeling some better, but his kidneys still need to function on their own. Pray that eventually he will be able to have the liver transplant, but first his heart and kidneys need to be straightened out.

FOR OUTLINES FOR MOTHER'S DAY VISIT http://www.sermonseeds.org

TO SUBSCRIBE - Send a blank e-mail to: sermonseeds-subscribe@welovegod.org

TO UNSUBSCRIBE - Send a blank e-mail to: sermonseeds-unsubscribe@welovegod.org

OUR OTHER MAILING LIST - PASTOR MAILPastor Mail is a mailing list fellowship for male pastors. The purpose of the list is to share sermons, outlines, illustrations, and prayer requests. We also discuss pastoral issues. If you are a male pastor, retired pastor or pastoral student you may join the list by sending a blank email to pastormail-subscribe@welovegod.org

1 Samuel 17

PERSPECTIVE

(IF YOU WOULD LIKE A COPY OF THE FULL TEXT OF THIS SERMON, ASK ME FOR IT BY NAME. I WILL SEND AN ATTACHMENT IN WORD FORMAT. jpeters@alltel.net )

Perspective or how we look at things is important. If we have the right perspective about something we will do well. If we have the wrong perspective, we are in trouble.

1 Kings 17 tells the well-known story of David and Goliath. In this particular story we see that the rest of the Israelites and David looked at the problem Goliath caused with different perspectives. In fact in this passage I see three different factors that affected the perspective of those involved.

BACKGROUND:

Vss. 1-10 - Goliath was a giant threatening the well being of Israel

Let me remind you that we all face "giants" in our lives.

Sometimes our "giants" are influential people who oppose us such as family members, bosses, teachers or fellow workers.

Sometimes our "giants" are habitual sins that we have trouble standing up to.

Sometimes our "giants" are the opinions of others. We don't want to go against popular opinion.

Sometimes our "giants" are difficult circumstances that threaten to overwhelm us.

Sometimes our "giants" are illnesses in ourselves or in those we love.

Sometimes our "giants" are huge financial problems.

Just as the giant, Goliath, was real, your giants will be real too and will pose real threats to your well being.

THE FEAR FACTOR

Vs. 11 - Saul and the rest of the Israeli army were terrified. They were filled with fear. Nobody wanted to face this giant. And that's part of our problem with our giants as well. We live in fear of these giants. We allow them to intimidate us, and even run from them instead of facing them. In fact, according to verse 24, running is exactly what Israel did when Goliath came out to challenge them.

Fear is one of the most paralyzing forces known to men.

People are often gripped with fear that renders them totally ineffective.

THE FOCUS FACTOR

Vss. 12-22 - Our hero, David, now enters the story. He has been at home looking at his father's sheep. He is now sent to the battlefield to bring provisions to his brother and to get a report on the war. As David arrives the battle for the day was about to start.

Vss. 23-24 - David witnessed Goliath's daily taunt that had now been going on for weeks. He also witnessed the fear on the part of the Israelites.

Vs. 25 - Evidently the king had made offers of reward for anyone who would defeat the giant.

Saul's focus, and the focus of the Israeli army was not on defeating the giant. Their focus was on self-preservation. Saul and the rest of the army would not face the giant personally because they were afraid of losing their own lives. They wanted to preserve their own lives.

Vs. 26 - David's focus was different.

David didn't focus on self-preservation.

David focused on the glory of God.

David was asking, "Who is this unbeliever, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" What right did this guy have to intimidate God's people?

David's focus included the thought that God's armies were far more powerful than Goliath.

David saw the issue as God's issue. God's glory suffers when unsaved people are allowed to have the upper hand.

Christian, what right does any giant have to rule your life?

When you give in to the giants in your life, you are not allowing God to have the glory.

When you stand up the giants, you are giving the God glory. 1 John 4:4

Now, here's a word of warning. When you start to focus on the real issue in facing giants, the glory of God, there will be people who will oppose you, or think you are nuts.

Vss. 28-29 - David's brother accused him of meddling.

Vss. 31-33 - Saul told David that he was incapable.

Because Saul and the Israeli army were focused on self-preservation any suggestion of a victory over the giant seemed to be folly. They saw this as impossible.

One of the great reasons we fail to see more victories over giants is because we deem things to impossible.

We forget the Scriptures. Jeremiah 32:17, Luke 1:37, Luke 18:27

THE FAITH FACTOR

Because David focused on the issue of God's glory being at stake, he had the faith that God would give him the victory.

Vss. 34 -37 - David remembered past victories that the Lord had given him. He trusted by faith that God would continue to deliver by giving victory over Goliath. Goliath had no right to intimidate Israel. He could and would be stopped!

Vss. 38-39 - Saul meant well. He gave David his armor for protection, but it was too big and too bulky for David. Sometimes people try to help in our fight with our giants, but their help relies on human wisdom and not on God.

Vss. 40-44 - David took with him what he knew how to use.

He took his sling, and probably his shepherd's staff.

Goliath was unimpressed and even insulted, and gave David a good cursing out.

Vss. 44-48 - David confronted Goliath in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel.

David was confident that God would get the glory - Vs. 46.

David was also confident that the Israeli army would also discover that the Lord "saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's…"

Vss. 48-54 - David won the battle using what seemed to be an insufficient weapon, a slingshot. But David won the battle because His confidence was in the Lord!

Ezra 10:1-8

SIN CONFRONTED - Part 1

GODLY SORROW - Vss. 1a, 6

Ezra sincerely grieved over the sins of his people. 2 Corinthians 7:10

GODLY SUGGESTION - Vss. 2-3

Schechaniah suggested that a covenant be made with God to deal with the sin and correct it.

GODLY SUPPORTERS - Vss. 1b, 4-5

There were those who stood with Ezra in his grief over the sin. They also were willing to support Ezra as he dealt with the sin.

GODLY SUMMONS - Vss. 7-8

Everyone was called together to deal with the sin. It was a public sin. It needed public attention.

Ezra 10:9-19

SIN CONFRONTED - Part 2

ASSEMBLY GATHERED - Vs. 9

ACCUSATION LEVELED - Vss. 10-11

AGREEMENT REACHED - Vss. 12-15

ACTION TAKEN - Vss. 16-19

Job 1

TESTED!

JOB'S CHARACTER - Vss. 1-5

Job was a godly man whom God had richly blessed.

SATAN'S CONTENTION - Vss. 6-11

Satan contended that if God removed His hedge of protection around Job that Job would curse God.

GOD'S CONSENT - Vs. 12

God gave permission for Job to be tested, only Job himself could not be touched.

SATAN'S CRUSH - Vss. 13-19

Satan crushed and removed just about everything that Job had, with the exception of his wife.

JOB'S CONDUCT - Vss. 20--22

Job blessed God and did not sin, nor did he accuse God.

Mark 2:13-17

JESUS - EVANGELIST!

The greatest evangelist who ever lived was not Dwight L. Moody, Billy Sunday, or even Billy Graham. It was the Lord himself. Although we might not be full time evangelists, if we follow these principles, we will see souls come to Christ.

HE TAUGHT Vs. 13

For people to make a decision for Christ, they must be taught the truths

of the Gospel.

HE CALLED Vs. 14

Just as Jesus called Levi (Matthew), we should call on people to put their

faith and trust in Christ. Invitations should be given for people to trust

Him.

HE SOCIALIZED Vss. 15-17

Jesus went where the sinners were in order to bring folks to Himself.

He was not afraid to have a meal with an unbeliever.

Are we?

Sermon Seeds A24

John 5:44 etc.

THE AUDIENCE

(IF YOU WOULD LIKE A COPY OF THE FULL TEXT OF THIS SERMON, ASK ME FOR IT BY NAME. I WILL SEND AN ATTACHMENT IN WORD FORMAT. jpeters@alltel.net )

When I was a senior at Glassboro State College, now Rowan University, I did my student teaching in a sixth grade classroom in Camden, New Jersey. One of the fun things I did was car pool to Camden with 3 other people.

One morning Bob Holt was driving his Mustang and I was sitting on the passenger's side in the back seat. Bob stopped to mail a letter at a post office. At the suggestion of someone else in the car, I climbed across the seat and got in the driver's seat, and as Bob was returning I started to pull away, as a joke. What did Bob do? He jumped on the hood of car as a passenger. Well, I stopped, got back to my regular seat, and the game was over. Except for one problem, we discovered that one of our professors for student teaching was in the car behind us. We had an audience and didn't realize it.

When Dottie and I were missionaries with Child Evangelism Fellowship we lived near her parents. Her Dad was a retired groundskeeper for my alma-mater, Glassboro State. He had worked on the football field and was given passes for all the home games. One Saturday we went to a game. During the course of the game, I made a good natured but unkind comment about the other team. This little boy (whom I didn't know) in front of me looked at me with big eyes in disbelief. I said something to him like, "It's okay son, I'm just kidding." And his father said something like "We know who you are. You're Jack Peters from Child Evangelism Fellowship!" Talk about embarrassed! I had another audience that knew who I was and what I was standing for.

I'm sure that all of us have been in situations when we didn't know we had an audience and said or did things we were sorry for later. We've also probably have been in situations when we didn't understand who our audience really was. In those situations, it's very easy to put our foots in our mouths.

We need to remember, that whatever we do, God is our audience. We need to consider Him above all others.

THE PRESENCE OF THE AUDIENCE - Psalm 139:7-10

God is always with us.

THE PERCEPTION OF THE AUDIENCE - Proverbs 5:21, Proverbs 15:3

God understands or perceives everything we say do. This is one audience who is never fooled!

THE POWER OF THE AUDIENCE - Luke 12:1-5

God is to be feared because He has the power to cast into hell. He is also to be feared because He is the judge.

THE PARTICIPATION OF THE AUDIENCE - 2 Corinthians 5:21, John 3:16, John 14:16-17, Matthew 7:7-8

God, the audience, has chose to participate in our lives. First, He sent His Son to save us, now He involves himself through the work of the Holy Spirit and by answering prayer.

THE PLEASING OF THE RIGHT AUDIENCE - John 5:44, John 3:36, Proverbs 3:5-6, Colossians 3:17

We fail to have faith because we are trying to please others instead of trying to please God. - John 5:44

Revelation 21:1-8

ETERNALLY HIS!

Most Christians look forward to Heaven! For all eternity we will be in the place described in these verses. We will be eternally God's possession in Christ! We can look forward to:

NEW ADDRESS (New Jerusalem) Vss. 1-2

NEW ASSOCIATION (With God) Vss. 3-4

NEW ASSURANCES (From God) Vss. 5-8

Sermon Seeds A24

ABOUT SERMON SEEDS:

Sermon Seeds is a weekly e-mailing of free brief sermon outlines from Pastor Jack Peters. These outlines are meant to help other pastors and Bible Teachers in their own preparations.

These outlines are only "seeds". They are not sermons ready for you to preach. Feel free to improve on these outlines anyway the Lord leads you.

If Sermon Seeds has been a blessing to you, please pass them on to other pastors and Bible teachers. Thanks.

TO SUBSCRIBE - Send a blank e-mail to: sermonseeds-subscribe@welovegod.org

TO UNSUBSCRIBE - Send a blank e-mail to: sermonseeds-unsubscribe@welovegod.org

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEB SITE!

http://www.sermonseeds.org is the location for the Sermon Seeds Archives. You will find most of the outlines from these e-mail editions, plus links to other helpful web pages. Be sure to sign the guest book, and tell me a little about yourself.

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.sermonseeds.org

This ministry has grown over the years because people like you have told others about Sermon Seeds. Always feel free to forward the weekly Sermon Seeds email to those who you think might be interested in these outlines. Also, please share our website address with others as well. Thank you for your support

TALK TO JACK THROUGH INSTANT MESSAGING

I welcome live correspondence with those on the Sermon Seeds list. I have just added AIM (AOL Instant Messaging) to my computer, but have dropped ICQ. To put me on your "buddy list" here is the information you need.

AOL AIM - JackPeters47

MSN (Microsoft) - johnwpeters@hotmail.com

Pastor Jack Peters
Ezra 7:10
AOL INSTANT MESSENGING SCREEN NAME - JackPeters47
MSN MESSENGER SCREEN NAME - johnwpeters@hotmail.com
Looking for preaching and teaching ideas?
Try Sermon Seeds!
http://www.sermonseeds.org