Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Shoulder To Shoulder #1291 -- 5/16/22 ---- "Bothered About Not Being Bothered"

Posted by: lifeunlimited <lifeunlimited@...>

"Standing Together, Shoulder To Shoulder, As We Fight the Good Fight of Faith"

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER is a weekly letter of encouragement Bob has written since 1997, covering many topics selected to
motivate people to be strong students of the Word and courageous witnesses of Jesus Christ.  It is a personal letter of
encouragement to you, written solely to help "lift up hands that hang down".

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." -- Albert Einstein

“There is a common, worldly kind of Christianity in this day, which many have, and think they have -- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody,
    and requires no sacrifice, which costs nothing, -- and is worth nothing.”
– J. C. Ryle 

Shoulder To Shoulder #1291 -- 5/16/22

Title: "Bothered About Not Being Bothered"

My Dear Friend and Pilgrim Partner:

Well, it's another triple-digit day in Yuma, but things are supposed to cool down slightly for a few days before returning to higher temperatures.  That's life in the Sonoran Desert.  But, we don't have too many more days left before we head to the White Mountains for five months of ministry.  It will be our seventh year pastoring Greer Chapel, and we're looking forward to another grand reunion of the Chapel family.  We usually try to arrive before Memorial Day week-end so we have a few days to adjust to the 8,300 feet difference in altitude with Yuma.

Last week was a tiring one, and I am feeling it today.  For several weeks I've been trying to get motivated to start a much needed project of laying 60+ 16" 30 pound pavers so we can add a storage shed to our "new" house in Yuma.  Finally got started last Monday and, with the help a couple of days from my son-in-law who has must moved in next door, we got enough laid to be able to put up the shed.  In the meantime, that plus the heat has left me drained -- drained of both muscle and motivation.  That doesn't sit well when your preparing-for-Greer "to do" list grows.

But, such is life for an old man.

Today my mind is again flooded with a variety of things, as perhaps is yours.  Details for a special service for my cousin, Ken Tolliver, are still in limbo as the family is still trying to get a death certificate after more than a month; the political chaos in Washington is mind-numbing; the tragedy of war in Ukraine where we lived several years is heavy on our hearts; projects still need to be completed here in Yuma before we leave for Greer in a couple of weeks; and seeking the mind of the Lord for our preaching theme in Greer is a priority.  Sometimes I just have to mentally "walk away" and take the boiling pot off the burner so it will cool down before proceeding.

Yesterday was such a day for both Jo Ann and me.  We felt like we were in a fog most of the day.  A late evening exercise time in the pool was helpful.  Today we'll try to make up for what didn't get done yesterday.

In the meantime, what shall I share with you today?  It's more of a "which" shall I share than it is a "what".  So much is on my mind, and I don't want to be guilty today of that of which I've been guilty in the past -- writing confusing letters to you. 

One thing that often captures my attention is that both as Christians specifically and our culture in general, we know to do what is right -- but more often than not we don't do it.  That in itself should raise at least two troubling questions -- "Why Don't we?" -- and even more troubling, "Why WON'T we?"  I'd like to take a look at those questions today -- right after you peruse . . .

THIS 'N' THAT:

+  Heading Out Without God: -- When I heard recently that the town council in Haven, KS, was removing "In God We Trust" from the patrol cars, the very first thought to enter my mind was, . . . "Then who WILL you trust when you go out on a beat or go to investigate a call????  Of all the states in America, you of all people should know how dangerous that will be."  When we lived in Wichita, were only 20 or so miles from Haven to the west.  Go to https://www.frc.org/updatearticle/20220510/remove-god.  Incidentally, steps like this take place when places, such as in Haven's case, only 15% of the voters elected to vote in the last election.

QUOTES FOR THE WEEK:

>  "You will not recognize this world in two years as it keeps prostituting parts of itself off to this new agenda, inverting reality and worshiping evil, and you will not recognize yourself if you keep selling off parts of your own soul to fit in with it." -- Linda Condon  (Canadian blogger)

>  "Jesus promised his disciples three things  -- that they would be completely fearless, absurdly happy and in constant trouble." -- William Maltby 

>  "People who cover their faults and excuse themselves do not have a repentant spirit." -- Watchman Nee 

>  "Many think they repent when it is not the offense but the penalty that troubles them." -- Thomas Watson 

>  "What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace." -- John Wesley 

>  "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." -- C. S. Lewis 

>  "All men will be Peters in their bragging tongue, and most men will be Peters in their base denial; but few men will be Peters in their quick repentance." -- Owen Feltham 

>  "Repentance is a grace, and must have its daily operation, as well as other graces. A true penitent must go on from faith to faith, from strength to strength; he must never stand still or turn back. True repentance is a continued spring, where the waters of godly sorrow are always flowing." -- Thomas Brooks 

SETTING THE STAGE:

A number of years ago Jo Ann and I were regular participants in "The Barry County Bible and Evangelism Conference", speaking (and sometimes singing), I think in seventeen or eighteen consecutive conferences.  Each year God seemed to put on my heart a specific sermon under whatever the general theme of the conference might be.  I remember one of those years -- one of the later ones, as I recall --  I'd been thinking about everything going on in our world, and how so many Christians were reacting to it.  It was much like what you and I are seeing around us today.

I  remember being struck by a crazy thought that kept reoccurring in my mind ---- "I am bothered that I'm not bothered."

That proverbial "ton of bricks" seemed to have hit me square in the face.  I ashamedly realized that all of the garbage going on morally and politically had become so commonplace to me, that it no longer seemed to bother me.  Things today are far worse than they were back that day several years ago.

But the question remains: --

Why are so many of us seemingly unaffected by the condition of our culture?  Of our country?  Of the world?  If our churches?  OF OUR OWN LACK OF BROKENNESS AND INTERCESSION?  It seems that so many unacceptable conditions have become acceptable to us.  Sinful conditions at many levels no longer seem to phase us in the least.  For example, . . .

1.  Why are the poorest attended services in our churches the times when we gather to pray?

2.  Why are the least supported ministries we carry out those that relate to sharing the Gospel or discipling new believers?

3.  Why are most Christians totally satisfied to remain nothing more than a consumer and a spectator, much like watching a movie while munching on popcorn and Jolly ranchers?

4.  Why does the blatant corruption in our government roll off our backs with a simple shrug of the shoulders and a fatalistic remark, "Well, that's just the way it is." or "Well, it's always been like that."

5.  Why do we shrug off the realities of suffering people all around us -- whether they be the poor panhandler on the street corner or the grieving family in Ukraine who just lost a loved one at the hands of Putin's hordes?

Why, in heaven's name, are we not bothered by such things?

More importantly, why are we not bothered that we're not bothered?

At times it seems that nothing much changes.  Jo Ann and I still see far too much evidence that many who claim the name of Christ do not evidence the love and compassion of Christ Whom they claim to follow.  I keep wondering if anything has changed.  It seems that about the only things that have changed are attendance, different names of program personalities, and the location.  Here are questions to consider.  They may be troublesome, but they need to be asked:

1.  How have you changed since this time last year -- for the better, or for the worse?

2.  How uncomfortable are you when you know something violates God's Word?

3.  How uncomfortable are you around the presence of sinful acts, thoughts, or images?

4.  Do the things that bother God bother you?  Do the things that grieve Him grieve you?

When you and I look at the world around us, it's no wonder we see so little results from our efforts if we have become "comfortable" with things that once bothered us.  Yes, I know that "the times have changed", and "familiarity breeds contempt", and "out of sight, out of mind", -- and all the other excuses.  But that does not resolve the issue that too often we are no longer bothered (for whatever reason matters not) -- and the fact that we're not bothered doesn't itself bother us.

Clearly, the Great Need in our world is For Repentance . . . but WHERE IS IT???

Repentance is not evident in the world because it's not evident in the Church.  The Greatest Need in the church today is NOT stronger soul winning.  It's not more ideas and activities.  It's not more and bigger buildings.  It's not for a change of leadership.  It's not even for Revival.

We don't need revival, . . . we need Repentance.  Then revival will come.  Repentance is on the pathway of revival for the Church.  When that happens, then the world will know to repent.  Instead, we have a compromised and superficial attitude toward this matter because of one of two things --

1.  We say, "it's all under the blood" not as a reality, but as a cop-out for our own spiritual laziness and lack of accountability to God.  Grace with no accountability.

2.  We don't think we can ever change because it's just human nature.  So, we give in . . . we give up.

Biblical Repentance is not an event or an experience.  It is to be an ongoing way of life.  To most of us, repentance is being sorry for sin in our lives, what we have done or not done, and for how it affected our lives.  But true repentance is being sorry enough for how it offends God and what it cost God to redeem us that it makes an indelible change in us that shows outside.  It is to be deeply grieved over God having to see in us what pains Him.

The death of Christ for our sins has never changed God's attitude toward our sin, it has changed only our relationship with Him.  God's hatred for and grief over sin is the same today as it was the day He gave up His Son in order to rescue us.  It is so heavy on His heart that in Heb 6:1 He lists "Repentance" as one of the fundamentals or "elementary" things that shouldn't have to be addressed again because it should be both understood and practiced  -- but in our day it is neither.  It is one of the basics that we should have down pat by now -- but we don't.

I want to review two passages of scripture -- one that exposes our condition, and one that describes the solution. 

GODLY SORROW LEADING TO REPENTANCE

JAMES 4:1-11

1. What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members?  2. You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask.  3. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

4. You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.  5. Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?  6. But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."

7. Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  9. Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.  10. Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

11. Do not speak against one another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it.

II COR 7:8-11

1. Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.  2. Make room for us in your hearts; we wronged no one, we corrupted no one, we took advantage of no one. 

3. I do not speak to condemn you, for I have said before that you are in our hearts to die together and to live together.  4. Great is my confidence in you; great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort; I am overflowing with joy in all our affliction.  5. For even when we came into Macedonia our flesh had no rest, but we were afflicted on every side: conflicts without, fears within.  6. But God, who comforts the depressed, comforted us by the coming of Titus;  7. and not only by his coming, but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you, as he reported to us your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me; so that I rejoiced even more.

8. For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it--for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while --  9. I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

10. For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.  11. For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter.

WHAT IS REPENTANCE:

In studying doctrinal truths such as this, the lack of understanding among many Christians becomes evident.  For most Christians, repentance becomes an "easy out" for their continued sinful practices.  They see it as merely being sorry for their sin, a promise to "try to do better next time", and an acknowledgment that they really don't intend to make any serious effort to change their belief or their behavior.  It is nothing more than a display of undisciplined spiritual lethargy and continued condoning of sin.

Consider these principles that help define repentance as the Bible teaches it.

1.  It's Ugly and Violent: -- If you take the time to study the subject -- and why God so frequently calls for it -- you will discover that repentance is actually not a very pretty scene.  "Repentance" comes from the Greek word, "Metanoia", pronounced "met-an'-oy-ah" and contains much more than what most of us have been taught -- simply to "turn around".  A cursory look at the word seldom includes the sense of "shock and awe" that is actually included in the real meaning of the word. 

There is a sudden "jolt" to what repentance really means.   You might liken it to a self-willed dog trying to chase the mail carrier and suddenly comes to the end of the chain where it is "jolted" into reality -- "I shouldn't be doing this!  This is totally wrong!"  You might say that true repentance -- biblical repentance, that is -- is something of an "Aha!" moment -- a "Eureka!" moment.

Literally translated, repentance means, "to rip the mind" or to "change the moral center of the man", to the point that pulls up short the old action AND replaces it with a corrective action of some kind.  It is not  just a "Renovation of a rebellious or independent spirit", but rather the "Replacement" of that disposition of self will.  It strikes at the very heart of man's first act of disobedience found in Genesis 3.

The more I think about it and study the topic, the more aware I am becoming of just how superficially many of us treat the matter of repentance.  Thayer, in his Greek Definitions, associates the word, "compunction" with repentance.  That's a word seldom used these days, but it truly does shed some light on biblical repentance.  It means the sense of, "a strong uneasiness caused by a sense of guilt -- a sense of penitence -- a sting of conscience or a pang of doubt aroused by wrongdoing or the prospect of wrongdoing".  He goes on to describe it as "a pricking; stimulation; irritation." that produces a direct change.

Much of my Christian life -- 78 years of it up to now -- I have had a pretty cursory and juvenile understanding of repentance to be that of changing my opinion or awareness of some kind of sinful thought or act, with the intent of trying to overcome that sin and do better next time (knowing that I probably would not succeed).  But it means far more than just "changing the mind" academically to the point of "changing my actions", but goes much deeper, meaning to have such an anxiety and remorse over your sense of guilt that it changes the very center of your being.

As in many cases, our understanding of repentance is not nearly so complete and comprehensive as the original languages of the Bible describe.  Repentance is a violent and traumatic state in the sense that the person is brought up short and is "startled" at the situation when the light comes on -- suddenly comes on -- that what he is doing or thinking is a blatant offense toward God.  It is a direct affront against Him, and not just against another person.  It is the awareness that one's attitude or conduct has been nothing short of spitting in God's face in stubborn rebellion against God and His standard by which He expects His children to live.

Next,  . . .

2.  It's A Change of Heart: -- That doesn't change by simply deciding to change the way you think; it requires something far deeper . . . a total transformation of your values.  It is important to understand the seriousness of repentance because it results in transformation.  Solomon stated in Prov 23:7, "As a man thinks in his heart, so he is".  We could perhaps state it like this: -- "What you think is what you become."  In other words, if we do not repent, we will become an unrepentant person.  However, if we do repent -- truly repent -- we will become more Christlike in those areas where we have struggled in our Christian walk.

Paul addressed the same issue with the believers in Rome when he stated in Rom 12:2, "Don't be conformed to this world, (don't think and act the way the world does) but be transformed by renewing your mind (making your mind think the way God thinks).  It's not just changing the way you think, but changing the way you have been thinking to the way God thinks.  In doing so, you will increasingly understand -- and begin to faithfully obey -- the will of God.  Biblical repentance is a "change in the soul's understanding leading to a change in the soul's intention".

3.  Conviction is Essential: -- Before you can change your opinions or your actions, you must first change your moral foundation, because it is that moral foundation that points the right direction to be followed in your action.  It is a change of the "soul's intention" or "the heart's desire".  It's an inner renouncing of independence, rebellion, and the breaking of God's law.  True repentance is when you're sorry enough to quit.  A person who is not sorry enough to forsake the sin has not Repented, but only Regretted.  That's the "sorrow of the world" but NOT a "godly sorrow".  It's a sorrow based on Convenience, -- or perhaps Coercion --  but not on Conviction. 

It seems to me that the one missing ingredient in our view of repentance is the matter of conviction.  This type of repentance comes only from remorseful conviction.  Conviction is being convinced that one's conduct has guaranteed consequences.  If we do not recognize there is always some kind of fallout to how we think and what we do, we will never truly repent.  Frankly, you and I will never change our behavior until we are convinced our old behavior is wrong and has no place in our lives.

Conviction is not something we can drum up ourselves, nor can another person "shame" us into being convicted of our sin.  It takes something more.  For now, I'll leave it at that, and will expand that idea a bit later in the letter.

4.  It Begins With Believers: -- In Revelation chapters 2 and 3, God  tells the "Church" to repent.  Eight times in two chapters, God commands five of the seven churches (Ephesus, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, and Laodicea to repent.  Peter reminded the believers to whom he wrote that "Judgment" was to begin with the "house of the Lord".  He said, . . .

17. ". . . it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?  18. AND IF IT IS WITH DIFFICULTY THAT THE RIGHTEOUS IS SAVED, WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE GODLESS MAN AND THE SINNER?  19. Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right."  (I Pet 4:17-19).

In the Old Testament the Church as we understand it did not exist.  However, we understand that He called the Children of Israel many times to repent.  Most of the time repentance is addressed in the Old Testament, it is directed toward Israel.  Similarly, God calls "The church" -- NOT the world -- to repent!  The last mention of the Church in the entire Bible is found in these two chapters when He calls out five of them, commanding them to repent.

In addressing the seven churches, God compliments and encourages all seven of them, but five of them He also confronts issues over which He commands them to repent.  I dare not take time to detail the background of each church or what life was like for them, but merely note them and then identify specifically what the issues were for which God called them to repent. 

1)  Ephesus was the most complimented of all the churches, and yet in spite of their amazing faithfulness, He commanded, – "you have LEFT your first love" (2:4).  So, Repent!  They had become so wrapped up in their many ministries that they had walked away.  They hadn't "lost" it, -- they "LEFT" it.

2)  Pergamum was in the hotbed of pagan worship, but had remained faithful even under persecution.  Yet they had allowed Idolatry and heresy to infiltrate their lives (2:14-15) – Repent!

3)  Thyatira was a strong and vibrant church, but was guilty of no church discipline against one of its members guilty of false teaching.  It was not against that member that God called for repentance, but against the entire church for allowing it to remain (2:20-21) – Repent!

4)  Sardis was a church plagued with pretense and superficiality.  They claimed to be Christians, but were merely pretending.  They were actually "play acting" -- being hypocritical, pretending to be something they weren't, guilty of a hypocritical commitment (3:1) – Repent!

5)  Laodicea seems to have been the most carnal and worldly of all the churches.  They had everything, but were so enamored with the world and all their personal glory that they were oblivious to their true carnal condition.  They were plagued with pretense, compromise, and arrogance (3:15-17) – Repent!

So, one doesn't have to be that proverbial "rocket scientist" to see it is obvious that repentance is clearly directed to the Church, and not only to the lost and unbelieving.  You and I are not immune from God's command to repent.  If we are to ever see our unbelieving friends, loved ones, neighbors, and acquaintances come faith in Christ, we must first examine our own lives to be certain that our walk and our talk match, and neither is guilty of condoning sin, tampering with God's truth, or being inconsistent in following Christ.

That is a very tall order, isn't it.  I'm certain that's what we want, but are we able to accomplish it?  Absolutely not!  Do we want it?  Hopefully?

So, . . .

WHAT GENERATES TRUE REPENTANCE?

Even at our best, we generally don't like the idea of repentance, particularly if we're the ones needing to do the repenting.  Rather, we tend to think of it as being only for "the others", especially the lost.  So, something has to motivate us to repent.  But, what is it?  Well, Paul reveals the secret that will always trigger true repentance.

That kind of repentance can come only through "Godly sorrow".  Repentance -- true biblical repentance -- is, in my deep conviction, virtually impossible apart from it.  It is not just human, selfish sorrow.  It is a type of sorrow, shame, or remorse that is impossible for us apart from the convincing work of the Holy Spirit.  Everything within us recoils from the thought that we can do anything wrong enough that it requires us being truly sorry -- even brokenhearted sorry -- for our sin.  Too often we infect and pervert God's mercy and grace by using them as cover for our undisciplined lifestyles.  We condone what God's Word condemns, and then "sweep it under the rug" of grace.

No matter how long you and I have been believers, we still fight the same fight Paul described in Romans 7, doing and saying things we know are wrong, and condoning things we know are wrong.  There is not one iota of anything that can bring us to the type of "Godly sorrow" that will lead us to genuine repentance.  There is just too much denial, self-justification, and excuse making present within ourselves to come to that point.  

This phrase, "Godly sorrow" (κατά θεός λυπέω, and pronounced "kat-ah' theh'-os loo-peh'-o") appears only once in the Bible in II Cor 7:11 from the text we're examining.  In essence it means a divine "other-than-human" stirring deep within that causes us to be nauseously repulsed, grieved, sorrowful, ashamed, and brokenhearted over our callousness and disregard toward anything that displeases God.  In a simple question, . . .

"Do the things that bother God bother you?" 

Consider these thoughts about "Godly Sorrow":

1.  True repentance is impossible apart from Godly sorrow.  Without it, repentance is little more than sorrow you got caught, sorrow that you did it, or sorrow that you didn't try harder.  You might even be embarrassed or ashamed, but that is still not Godly sorrow.  Apart from Godly sorrow, we are left to either simply give up and "live with it", or "try harder next time".

2.  Biblical Repentance is a course of action that is possible ONLY when there is GENUINE regret and remorse over the previous course that has been taken.  That is "Godly sorrow that leads to repentance".  Repentance is not possible without "Godly sorrow".  Such sorrow is glaringly absent in today's churches.  Instead, there is a blend of helpless and hopeless fatalism on the one hand and a condoning spirit that explains away sins, making them acceptable. 

3.  Repentance NEVER emanates from such attitudes.  That's the way the world treats sin.  That's what Paul described to the besieged believers in Rome -- ". . . and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them" (Rom 1:32).

4.  Real repentance ALWAYS results in a God-generated change that is far deeper and more lasting than simple human decision.   It is a change rooted in a moral decision and not just academic choices or religious acknowledgement.  When it takes place, we are restored, our hearts are cleansed and purified, our minds are renewed, we are set free, and we are characterized by peace, joy, and willing obedience.

5.  The Bible is filled with the kind of repentance that God accepts and as seen in our text (II Cor 7:8-11).  When you have time, study these examples:
    Isa 55:6-8 –Isaiah
    Mt 3:1-2, 5-11 -- John
    Lk 3:8-9 – John to Jews
    Mt 4:17-18 – Jesus to Gentiles
    Mk 2:17 – Jesus on Jonah's message to Nineveh
    Mt 11: --
    Lk 15 – joy in heaven over repentance
    Lk 16:20-ff -- rich man and beggar
    Mk 6:12 – disciples preached it
    Acts 2:37-38 -- Peter on Day of Pentecost
    Acts 3:19 – Peter with thousands more.
    Acts 11:18-ff – Report about the House of Cornelius
    II Pet 3:9 – for everyone
    Acts 17:30 -- Paul to Athenians
    Acts 20:20-21 – Paul to
    Acts 26:17 -- Paul to Agrippa
    Lk 24:46 -- Risen Christ to disciples before ascension

6.  It is not insignificant that the first word and the last word of the Gospel of Jesus is REPENT!"  (See Mk 1:15 and Lk 24:47). 

1)  Remorse is not the same as repentance.  Remorse is JUST sorrow over what it cost me.  Repentance is sorrow over what it cost God and how it offends Him.

2)  "Almost Persuaded" is not Repentance.  It didn't work for Agrippa, and it won't work for us.

3)  Penance is not Repentance.  Penance is the attempt to pay off the penalty of your sin yourself.  Repentance is to admit guilt strongly enough to turn away from it, knowing that only Jesus can pay the price you owe.

4)  Good deeds is not Repentance.  You can't buy God off with anything -- or everything -- you have or can do.  Your debt is too great. 

5)  Admitting sin is not Repentance.  Acknowledging one's guilt does nothing to alleviate the fact, satisfy the judgment, or eradicate the penalty.  Only repentance releases forgiveness and erases the record.

You see, after all is said and done, Repentance is the "Spinal Cord" of the Gospel.  Without it, nothing is left.

OVER WHAT DO WE NEED TO REPENT?

Since you and I are not the same, it is impossible to become particularly specific regarding any areas of repentance.  However, for starters, here are some examples of what the Bible specifically says things for which we might need to repent. 

1.  Our Works of the flesh (Gal 5:19-21)

2.  Anything that grieves the Holy Spirit (Eph 4:30-32)

3.  Anything that quenches the Holy Spirit (I Thes 5:19)

4.  Sins of the churches in Rev 2 & 3 noted earlier

5.  Sins listed by James in 4.

WHAT IS THE PROGRESSION LEADING TO REPENTANCE?

How are we brought to that point of "godly sorrow" leading to repentance?  I certainly don't have all the answers, and those that I do may not always apply in every circumstance.  However, as I think about all involved in gaining insight into the specifics God wants us to know, there are a number of elements involved in how we prepare ourselves, and in how God responds to us.

I simply can't get that question out of my mind -- "Am I bothered by what bothers God?"  So, consider these principles:

1.  The work of the Holy Spirit through which He prepares my heart to receive the truth.  The flesh is constantly warring against the Holy Spirit, so it never wants to hear the truth about itself.  It will revert to denial, justifying, and ignoring those ares of which repentance is needed.  We are professional specialists at evading facts.

2.  Arranging circumstances that will prepare you to receive what the Holy Spirit is about to do.  You should eliminate all distractions (phone, TV, noise, etc.) that would hinder the Holy Spirit or distract you.

3.  A conscious awareness -- a clear recognition -- that things are not right.  We need to understand some specifics about anything of which we need to repent.  In reality there is no such thing as "blanket repentance".  To say, "Lord, I repent of everything" tends to mean that we're not repenting of anything, and are satisfied to "jump through the hoops" with generalities.  Satan is the only one who deals in generalities when he accuses, confuses, or abuses you.  The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, is always direct and specific.

4.  A dissatisfaction with the way things are.  We will never repent over some sin with which we are still content or for which we maintain an affection.  It's a little like the guy who asked, "Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?"  As long as we are comfortable or unconvicted with something, we will seldom deal with it by repenting -- and by that I mean the biblical repentance which I described above.

5.  A deep conviction of the Holy Spirit that our heart is not right.  This is a principle that can easily upset our spiritual perceptions.  Your heart will never make anything right unless the Holy Spirit convicts you that your heart is not right.  It's like being a criminal: -- as long as the criminal fails to be convicted that he is a criminal, he will always remain a criminal, and will want to remain a criminal.  He must be convicted of two things -- it is wrong to be a criminal, and being a criminal has an impact on others who are not criminals.  That comes only from deep personal inner conviction.  That's what the Holy Spirit does.  It is something we cannot do on our own.

6.  An awareness of God's truth and the hideousness of our sin.  Until we unequivocally acknowledge that God's truth is true, and that what He says abut our sin is exactly how horrible and despicable our sin is, we will do nothing about it.  Until we are convicted, there will be no confession.

7.  A brokenness that brings us to where you are grieved over your own pride and your constant desire to defend your actions or attitudes, and simply justify yourself.  When it comes to repentance, there is no room for, "Yes, but . . . ."

8.  A Godly sorrow and remorse over just how grievously we have offended God, cheapened the death of His Son, and hindered the salvation of people you know.

9.  REPENTANCE!   That is, a genuine repentance that is characterized by what I wrote above in defining it.  You see, there are different kinds of repentance, but only that which is triggered by a godly sorrow and remorse over the hideousness that is found in our hearts will lead us to such true repentance.  It's not just being sorry, being penitent, or trying to make amends.  It is an acknowledgement of our sin that breaks our hearts and our will, and bringing us afresh and anew to the Cross and our crucifixion.

10.  The release of the Holy Spirit to begin drawing people to the Father.  There is a direct link between us living lives of repentance and the salvation of those who do not know Christ.  It is best described in Jesus' statement about a grain of wheat falling into the ground and dying, resulting in new life. 

Keeping these ten factors in mind, then, . . .

HOW CAN I DEVELOP GODLY SORROW LEADING TO REPENTANCE?

My friend, Godly sorrow is a kind of wretchedness that can bring the repentant sinner to tears of grief.  It breaks one's heart.  Godly sorrow results from a heart-felt conviction that we have offended God by our sin.

1.  Recognize that God's word is right"The statutes of the Lord are right" (Psalm 19:8)  Until we agree with God that His Word is true and right, we     cannot repent.  We will not repent.  We'll only make excuses, justify our condition, or deny that anything is wrong in our Christian walk.

2.  Recognize the cost of sin.  Until we understand the price God paid, we will never be motivated enough to repent.  We will never appreciate the value of our salvation until we appreciate the price God paid to provide it.

3.  Recognize the pain our sin inflicts on God" Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge." (Ps 51:4).  Our Sin is a Crime against God, a CHOICE WE willingly make.

4.  Recognize the consequences of sin.   Take time to examine Psalm 51, if you want to truly understand, "The Ravages Of Sin" as it pertains to the believer.  It soils the soul (51:1), it stalks you constantly (51:2-3), it savages your walk with the Father (51:4), it creates a sense of hopelessness (51:5), it distorts truth (51:5-6), it makes you feel dirty and unclean (51:7, it affects you physically (51:8), it makes you feel separated from God (51:9), it causes spiritual instability (51:10), it creates the fear of being rejected by God (51:11). it steals your joy (51:12), and it destroys your testimony (51:13).

5.  Recognize our sin's impact on the lost and the  proclamation of the Gospel.  In that same Psalm, David concludes his time of repentance by asking God to repair his witness and influence to unbelievers, and give him boldness and courage to proclaim the story everywhere.  He states, . . .

"O Lord, open my lips, That my mouth may declare Your praise." (51:15).

FINALLY: 

So, now we've come full circle -- back to that question:

Are you bothered that you are not bothered?  Are you troubled over the fact that you're not troubled?  Are you concerned that you're not concerned?  Does it bother you at all?  Does it concern you that profanity, sexual immorality, abortions, lying, same-sex marriage, political corruption, dishonesty, deception, violence, and the like disgust you don't bother you as they once did.

Yes, they may make you angry, but do they break your heart?

"God has promised forgiveness to your repentance, but He has not promised tomorrow to your procrastination." -- St. Augustine

In His Bond, By His Grace, and for His Kingdom,

Bob Tolliver -- Romans 1:11

"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness,
    examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."
-- Dr. Luke (Acts 17:11)

"A fire kept burning on the hearthstone of my heart, and I took up the burden of the day with fresh courage and hope." -- Charles F. McKoy

Life Unlimited Ministries
LUMglobal
lifeunlimited@pobox.com

Copyright May, 2022

"If Jesus had preached the same message that many ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified." -- Leonard Ravenhill 

"The time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep,  the Church will have clowns entertaining the goats." -- Charles H. Spurgeon

If this letter has blessed you, feel free to forward it or copy from it, with proper credits, to any and all you wish.

Please do NOT hit reply to this letter.  This is an automated unmanned system. 
If you want to write Bob, send directly to lifeunlimited@pobox.com.
Replying to "Shoulder To Shoulder" mailer gets you nowhere.

--
To subscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-subscribe@welovegod.org> To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-unsubscribe@welovegod.org