Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Shoulder To Shoulder #1301 -- 7/25/22 ---- "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 9 -- Another Look at the Compass B)"

Posted by: rtolliver49 <rtolliver49@...>

"Standing Together, Shoulder To Shoulder, As We Fight the Good Fight of Faith"

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER is a weekly letter of encouragement Bob has written since 1997, covering many topics selected to
motivate people to be strong students of the Word and courageous witnesses of Jesus Christ.  It is a personal letter of
encouragement to you, written solely to help "lift up hands that hang down".

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." -- Albert Einstein

“There is a common, worldly kind of Christianity in this day, which many have, and think they have -- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody,
    and requires no sacrifice, which costs nothing, -- and is worth nothing.”
– J. C. Ryle 

Shoulder To Shoulder #1301 -- 7/25/22

Title:  "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 9 -- Another Look at the Compass B)"

My Dear Friend and Fellow Kingdom Seeker:

Today I unexpectedly greet you from the hot and dry city in the Sonoran Desert, -- Yuma, AZ.  Jo Ann and I were not scheduled to come to Yuma until early next month, but when we discovered that all chapel activities for this week had been cancelled because of the upcoming annual Community Center auction, and all the facilities we use were unavailable, we decided to make another run down the mountain where we can get a few more projects done and have some time for uninterrupted rest and relaxation.  We will remain here until Saturday morning.  While some of my time will be spent in writing and in preparing for next Sunday's service, it is certainly going to be a wonderful respite we had not expected.

Sunday was another wonderful day at Greer Chapel, even though over 70% of our regulars were gone and attendance was one of the lowest of the season -- perhaps the lowest.  That notwithstanding, God moved.  I was personally weary and really didn't feel I was "at the top of my game".  Nevertheless, several people said they were greatly blessed, and a couple of them even said they thought it was the best sermon I had preached.  (Made me wonder if they had even attended many services so far.  😉

Certainly we are seeing more and more events and conditions that trouble us these days.  It seems like Congress tries to outdo itself in ridiculous legislative and moral blunders, the cancel culture scratches someone else off its list with absurdity, crime is becoming more rampant by the day, and a sense of futility and fatalism tries to sneak in unnoticed.  If there has ever been a time when a nation needed to return to the "Ancient Paths" of the God of all creation, it is today. 

Last week I wrote about "the Compass" for the journey -- God's Word.  Today I want to revisit that subject again -- and I may do it next week as well.  There's a wonderful passage of scripture in the Old Testament penned under the direction of the Holy Spirit by "the wisest man in the world", King Solomon.  And, we'll do that right after you've had a chance to consider . . . .

THIS 'N' THAT:

The Weakening of Moral Conviction:  The first two verses of Proverbs 3 warn us of how dangerous it is to succumb to a weakening stance of morality.  Solomon warns that the teaching of scripture must be our sure foundation.  Last week the U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation that again redefines marriage and will make it a national law rather than an issue to be decided on the state level.  Forty-seven Republicans voted in favor.  The Senate is dangerously close to doing the same thing.  If that happens, the President will surely sign it into the law of the land.  Sadly, there are a number of "previously conservative" Senators considering voting to do just that.  To know who they are, go to https://washingtonstand.com/commentary/these-senators-defended-marriage-in-2015--whats-changed .  A related follow-up link gives more information -- mbcpathway.com/2022/07/25/house-passes-same-sex-marriage-bill-with-gop-help/.  A later article by FRC's Susanne Bowdy has also appeared quoting Congressman Bob Good of VA as he shared his convictions.  You can read it at washingtonstand.com/commentary/selling-out-on-marriage-will-haunt-the-gop-.

+  State Farm Is There: -- This is very disappointing.  I've not used State Farm for decades (switched to American Family "way back when"), but my father used them for many years.  I was surprised to learn about this, but somehow, I'm not surprised.  So goes many corporations wanting to appease their potential customer base ---- https://www.charismanews.com/video/89264-like-a-creepy-neighbor-state-farm-is-there-to-teach-transgenderism-to-5-year-olds-says-consumers-research .

View of America from a Chinese Communist:  This past week-end I received the following post from The American Minute writer, William H. Federer in which he describes a commentary by a Harvard professor who had been mentoring a Chinese Communist student having come to America on a Fulbright Scholarship.  The professor quotes this student as saying, " . . . I had no idea how critical religion is to the functioning of democracy...  The reason why democracy works is not because the government was designed to oversee what everybody does.  But rather democracy works because most people, most of the time, voluntarily choose to obey the law.  And in your past, most Americans attended a church or synagogue every week. And they were taught there by people who they respected...  If you take away religion, you cannot hire enough police."  You will want to read this.  Go to https://americanminute.com/blogs/todays-american-minute/if-you-take-away-religion-you-cannot-hire-enough-police-harvard-professor-clay-christensen-quoting-fulbright-scholar-american-minute-with-bill-federer.

Significant Jerusalem Archaeological Find:  I love the stories of archaeological discovers, especially in Israel.  Here's one of the latest -- right alongside the ancient temple wall.  http://www.timesofisrael.com/western-wall-elevator-project-unearths-archaeological-trove-of-villa-artifacts/

Only ONE Reliable Compass:  I am currently preaching a seasonal series entitled, "Seeking The Ancient Paths", based on Jeremiah 6:16-17.  This past Sunday I preached on the "compass" for the journey, namely the Bible.  Today as I read this article, I was reminded again that we must, AT ALL COST, faithfully follow the direction of God's Word in all matters of life.  It has never been wrong in the past, it isn't wrong today, and it will never be wrong in the future.  Same-sex marriage will never be right, according to God's Word.  There are no exceptions.  https://washingtonstand.com/commentary/christians-cannot-and-must-not-support-samesex-marriage .

Netanyahu Again?  It's Possible:  The Likud Party in Israel continues to be led by former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.  If the Likud Party prevails in forming a majority government, Netanyahu will once again become Israel's Prime Minister.  Go to http://www.chosenpeople.com/inside-israel-20220726/?goal=0_ee4b927060-1d47780432-114605041&mc_cid=1d47780432&mc_eid=5c91938c62.

Religious People Actually DO Live Longer:  In writing today's letter, I ran across a very interesting research paper that indicated that people will active religious affiliations live longer than those who do not.  You can read the article at http://www.aau.edu/research-scholarship/featured-research-topics/people-religious-affiliations-live-longer-study-shows.

Thirteen Patriotic Sites We Should Visit:  Somehow I ended up on the email list of the Discoverer website.  Normally I do a quick scan of the topic, and then delete.  However, in light of the Memorial Day week-end, I decided to take a look to see how many of them I've actually visited.  It turns out I've been to ten.  Go to https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/13-spots-patriotic-americans-should-visit-at-least-once/XvHyVpKgiwAG5ahY .

QUOTES FOR THE WEEK -- WELL WORTH READING:

>  "Men are more moral than they think and far more immoral than they can imagine." -- Sigmund Freud

>  “[T]he only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be aid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.  Without religion, I believe that learning does real mischief to the morals and principles of mankind.” -- Benjamin Rush (Signer of Declaration of Independence, Father of American Psychiatry, Founder of Dickinson College)

>  "Morality cannot be legislated, but behavior can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

>  "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -- John Adams (Second President of U.S.)

>  "The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life." -- Albert Einstein

>  "Righteousness [morality] exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any man."  -- King Solomon (Prov 14:34)

>  “[T]he Christian religion, in its purity, is the basis, or rather the source of all genuine freedom in government. . . . and I am persuaded that no civil government of a republican form can exist and be durable in which the principles of that religion have not a controlling influence.” -- Noah Webster 

>   "Corruption is like a ball of snow, once it's set a rolling, it must increase." -- Charles Caleb Colton

>  ”[F]or avoiding the extremes of despotism or anarchy . . . the only ground of hope must be on the morals of the people. I believe that religion is the only solid base of morals and that morals are the only possible support of free governments. [T]herefore education should teach the precepts of religion and the duties of man towards God.” -- Gouverneur Morris (Penman and Signer of the Constitution)

>  “[Why] should not the Bible regain the place it once held as a school book? Its morals are pure, its examples captivating and noble. The reverence for the Sacred Book that is thus early impressed lasts long; and probably if not impressed in infancy, never takes firm hold of the mind.” -- Fisher Ames (author of the final wording for the First Amendment)

>  "The higher the building the lower the morals." -- Noël Coward

>  “The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts.” -- John Jay (Original Chief-Justice of the U. S. Supreme Court)

>  “Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society.” -- George Washington (General of the Revolutionary Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, First President of the United States of America, Father of our nation)

>  " "Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,  and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love." -- Apostle Peter (II Pet 1:5-7)

>  “[O]nly a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.” -- Benjamin Franklin (Signer of the Declaration of Independence)

>  "According to the Bible, with God all things are possible, but God does not choose to do all things for men. Men must face problems, moral choice, responsibilities, griefs and disasters, and men must grow in terms of these things. The Bible makes abundantly clear God’s miraculous power, but it makes equally clear that man’s first problem is his apostasy, his moral rebellion against God. Man needs salvation by God, growth in grace, and maturity, as a pre-condition to prosperity under God."  -- R. J. Rushdoony (The Mythology of Science)

SETTING THE STAGE:

The Book of Proverbs is a wonderful reservoir of practical truths and commands.  It was written by a rich, successful, godly king somewhere between 970 and 930 B.C., give or take a decade or two.  Known throughout history as one of the, if not the, wisest and wealthiest men in the world, we have three books in the Old Testament that are generally attributed to his writings -- Song of Songs (Song of Solomon), Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs. 

Some try to link the Book of Lamentations to him, but most Bible scholars believe it was actually written by the prophet, Jeremiah.  Psalm 72 and 127 were also probably written by him.  They are at least attributed to him, and the subject of both psalms certainly lend themselves to what Solomon would have written.

Both the extra-biblical and biblical accounts of Solomon's life indicate that he started out as a young man with a deep heart for God.  As successor to his father, King David, God gave Solomon the monumental task of building the first permanent worship center to which people would come to offer sacrifices and worship Him.  It was an astounding series of events described in I and II Kings, and also in II Chronicles.

There's an intriguing verse in I Kings that tells us of both the qualities and the flaws in Solomon's life -- I Kings 3:3

"Now Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of his father David, -- except he sacrificed and burned incense on the high places."

As odd as it may seem, the life of Solomon indirectly led to the circumstances surrounding our primary text for this series (Jer 6:16-17).  Solomon began his reign over all twelve tribes of Israel with an enormous task (build the temple) and with extraordinary wisdom and abilities.  His command over a nation was so significant that the royalty of other nations took note.  After first purging the royal and military hierarchy, Solomon then went about building a strong and loyal military, establishing trade relationships with other nations, and developing a network of commercial and military outposts.

God had given Moses specific instructions about how a king was to live in Deut. 17:16–17: ---- 1) a king was not to have an excessive number of horses,  2) hr was to have only one wife, and  3) hr was not to make himself excessively rich with gold or silver.  Sadly, Solomon sinned in all three of these areas.  He  also imposed high taxes -- "666 talents of gold" each year (1 Kings 10:14), a huge amount for a small nation like Israel. He gathered multitudes of horses and chariots from as far as Egypt and, as Deuteronomy 17 warns, took Israel back to Egypt in spirit.

Sadly, by the time Solomon died, he had condoned and even practiced offering sacrifices to pagan gods, he had married numerous pagan wives, had made unholy alliances, and had overburdened his people with excessive taxes and slave-like labor and work demands.  The fact that he had acquired many foreign wives contributed to his descent into idolatry.  According to I Kings 11:30–34 and I Kings 11:9–13, it was because of these sins that , following Solomon's death, the Kingdom of Israel was divided.  He was the last ruler of a united Kingdom of Israel.

After a reign of forty years, he died at around age 60 of natural causes, and his son, Rehoboam, succeeded him.  When Rehoboam refused to lighten the burden of labor and lower their taxes, the ten Tribes refused him as king, splitting the United Monarchy into the northern Kingdom of Israel under Jeroboam and the southern Kingdom of Judah (tribes of Judah and Benjamin), ruled by Rehoboam.  The two kingdoms were never again united.

Both kingdoms continued to degenerate morally and spiritually to the point that Syria invaded the Kingdom of Israel (ten northern tribes), leading many into captivity.  But, they refused to repent.  Egypt and then Babylon invaded the Kingdom of Judah, and they also refused to repent.  It was during this time that Jeremiah prophesied to Judah God's plea for them to seek out the Ancient Paths, but they refused.  In that they had the examples of three previous kings to emulate (Saul, David, and Solomon), why should we be surprised at what God found in the days of Jeremiah?

"Thus says the LORD, 'Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.' But they said, 'We will not walk in it.'
    "And I set watchmen over you, saying, 'Listen to the sound of the trumpet!' But they said, 'We will not listen.'
    "Therefore hear, O nations, And know, O congregation, what is among them.
    "Hear, O earth: behold, I am bringing disaster on this people, The fruit of their plans, Because they have not listened to My words, And as for My law, they have rejected it also."
-- Jer 6:16-19).

How tragic it is when one man can abandon the way God had instructed him to go.  Even worse, how tragic the effect is upon following generations -- because one man set the example, and others followed.  It reminds me again of John Wesley's famous statement, . . .

"What one generation tolerates, the next generation practices in excess."

Nonetheless, early in his reign during a time of prayer, God asked Solomon what he would want from God.  Solomon did one of the smartest things he ever did -- he asked for exceptional wisdom from God (I Kings 3:3-15).  God granted his desire, and his wisdom was quickly put to the test as recorded in the same chapter when he was confronted with two new mothers and their two sons, one dead and one living.  I'm sure you remember the story.

Some of the wisest and most mature insight you can ever read are found in Solomon's writings, specifically Ecclesiastes and Proverbs.  Proverbs 3, then is the basis of my thoughts today -- and includes that "life verse" passage I mentioned in last week's sermon by which Jo Ann and I still attempt to follow yet today.  I will get to that special verse in due time, but for now, consider those twelve verses:

"My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.
    "Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  So you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man.
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
    "Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.  It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.
    "Honor the LORD from your wealth And from the first of all your produce; so your barns will be filled with plenty And your vats will overflow with new wine.
    "My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD Or loathe His reproof, for whom the LORD loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights."

-- Prov 3:1-12.

THE POWER OF A COMPASS:

After preaching on the Bible as a compass two weeks ago, I felt there was still more needing to be considered, particularly in practical ways for daily life.   If I were to rewrite everything I've written about the Bible itself the past 25 years that I've been writing this weekly letter, I would literally cover at least a year before exhausting all I have written before.

However, this is the first time I have gone to Proverbs 3 to describe just how totally trustworthy God's Word really is.  Actually, it was a 2007 article by pastor Darren Rogers which I read earlier this week that further reinforced my conviction that the Bible was truly like a compass.  His commentary rang true in my heart, and gave birth in my mind to nine specific ways found in Proverbs 3 in which God’s Word will lead us as we seek for and then try to walk the “Ancient Paths” that Judah had long abandoned (Jer 6:17-18).

If you and I don’t make the same mistake as Judah, and if we will simply humble ourselves to travel those “Ancient Paths”, our lives will be immeasurably blessed.  You see, the Bible WILL always point us in the right direction.  You can bank on that without hesitation.  The compass ALWAYS points “Magnetic North”.  Because it always does, you can find your way from any direction where you find yourself, and in any direction needed to get you back pointed toward your destination.

Whether it is in our personal lives, that of our family or church, or as a nation, the degree of our faithfulness in following the direction pointed out by the Compass will determine the outcome, both personally and as a society.  While I'm clearly not a scholar of the ancient Gnostics, I'm reminded of one particularly appropriate quote:

“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”  – Plato

So, IF we are to follow the "Ancient Paths" under the clear direction of the Compass, we must know it is trustworthy, and we need to know exactly where it will lead us.  We must know the difference between where the Compass leads and where the world’s values lead us.  We must trust its reliability.

THE PROMISES OF THE COMPASS:

These verses (Prov 3:1-12) contain nine fundamental assurances -- essential promises, if you please -- that you and I can bank on.  The secret will be, of course, if -- IF -- we will actually follow the direction the Compass is pointing us.  Today, I want to address the first of those nine: --

I.  The Compass of God's Word Will Point us to a Path and Life of Consistent Morality. (1-2)

“My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.”

It is utterly impossible to read the Bible without being confronted face-to-face with the issue of how we live our lives.  This is called a standard or practice of morality or immorality.  So, what, then, is "morality"?  The Cambridge English Dictionary defines it, "a. . .  personal or social set of standards for good or bad behavior and character, or the quality of being right and honest". 

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "morality" as, " The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct", "A system or collection of ideas of right and wrong conduct", and "Virtuous conduct".  Interestingly, the word "morality" appears nowhere in the Bible, and the word "moral" appears only three times, one implied and the other two in the same verse.  The Bible uses other words, but the meaning is the same -- morality is a standard of conduct and values that is expected in the life of every human being -- but most particularly in the life of a Christian.  Simon Peter was clear to point that out in his admonition to the Jewish believers when he wrote, . . .

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,  and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

"For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins." (II Pet 15-9).

In this passage of scripture the Apostle ties personal faith with morality, so "the obvious is obvious" -- our faith in Christ should automatically manifest itself in moral conduct and values, and should likewise jettison every form of immorality that tempts us toward ungodliness.  It takes only a cursory look at the passage to discover what, for all practical purposes, is missing in our public educational system today.  We no longer start with "moral excellence" as our founders recognized and our earliest educators and text books taught, but instead start with mere knowledge -- all-the-while hoping that other worthy attributes such as self-control, perseverance, (even godliness, perish-the-thought -- wanting people to be religious without really being religious), kindness, and love.

It just doesn't work that way.  Quality education is an utter impossibility because you cannot achieve it apart from moral excellence.  Knowledge may teach you what to know, but it doesn't teach you how to live.  Morality is necessary in order for that to happen.  And, with that understanding, let's look more closely at Solomon's first admonition to us:

Don't Forget! ---- “Forgetting” is often our biggest problem.  The word here doesn't not mean that you were absentminded or distracted, and simply forgot.  It's much deeper than that.  It literally means, to “mislay” or “lay aside” or, even worse, -- "disregard" or "render unimportant or irrelevant".  Sadly, Solomon is warning us of something far more serious than merely failing to remember something.  He's telling us something about clear decisions we make.  "Forget" in this text is referring to a willful decision or act. 

Without using the words, Solomon is admonishing us about our priorities and values.  He's warning us of the dangers of procrastination and putting things off.  He's talking about the sin of twisted priorities where God and His word become less than "Number One".  It’s a sign of either lack of discipline, being distracted, or ignoring what we know to be true.  Frankly, "mislaying" God's Word is an act of devaluing the Bible in our lives.

I recall the story of a pastor visiting one of his church members -- a man who held a position of leadership, but appeared to be inconsistent in a number of areas.  While the man prepared coffee in the kitchen, the pastor noticed the man's Bible on the small table next to the chair.  Picking it up, he quickly detected the outline of the Bible that was left in the dust on the table.  Obviously it had not been moved for quite some time.

When he laid the Bible down, he made a point to place it so the dust mark was clearly noticeable.  Then, to make the point further, he drew a smiley face on the top of the dust-covered Bible.  Obviously this church leader had "laid aside" or "disregarded" -- even worse, had "rendered unimportant or irrelevant" -- the Bible which he claimed to believe.

Remember! ---- This is what the word, "Keep" means in this text.  Actually, it means, "Remember to do".  We must "remember to do" the “teaching” – the “commands” found in the Pentateuch.  This was, of course, all the scriptures that Solomon had, so obviously it is the focus of his admonition.  None of the books of the prophets had been written yet, and neither had the New Testament.  The scriptures to which Solomon is referring are clearly the five books Moses had penned under the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

This includes all of the laws and commands God had given Moses and the Children of Israel, as well as His instructions to Joshua.  It may be that Solomon wrote these words out of his own failure to heed those words earlier in life, thus warning future generations to not make the same mistake.

One thing is certain -- Solomon is warning us of the potential of moral failure -- particularly as spelled out in the Ten Commandments and their surrounding supportive commands and laws God had given. 

Head and Heart! ---- The admonition brings the head and the heart together. It is not enough to have God’s Word in our heads; we must be like the Psalmist.

“Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.” (Ps 119:11).

One of my most prized possessions is the Bible my father was given by his sister, Maggie, when he accepted Christ at age 14.  On its flyleaf either Dad or Aunt Maggie had written these words:

"Sin will keep you from this Book.  This Book will keep you from sin."

When one immerses himself in reading the Word, what once was merely an academic exercise soon becomes a life-changing conviction.  That's what happens when the Holy Spirit brings the head and the heart together in divine revelation and understanding.

Blessings: ---- Solomon concluded this particular thought by reminding us that if we will be obedient to God's laws of morality, certain blessings will automatically come our way.  Solomon identifies three things with which God will bless you if you choose His Word as your life's compass to keep you focused on the journey -- "length of days", "length of years", and "peace".

What, then, do those three blessings mean?  In what way will we benefit from them -- IF we choose to live a life of high moral standard?

1.  First is the matter of increased days.  There is some discussion among scholars as to whether or not this means "more days" or possibly "more endurance" during the day.  I tend to think it refers to "endurance" or "energy" when he talks about "length of days".  It's not that your days will become longer than 24 hours, but that your endurance level -- mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual -- will extend longer through the day. 

While I can be entirely wrong, there is an abundance of evidence that people who take time to feed on God's Word feel fresher, more mentally alert, and more energized throughout the day.  In other words, by choosing to maintain the moral and spiritual "high ground", you will experience more energy, more stamina, more endurance, and more durability.  And, that actually makes sense because when you choose to follow the Compass' instruction you find yourself not bogged down with feelings of anger, fear, guilt, shame, discouragement, or despair brought on by immoral thoughts, actions, or external environment.

Think of those occasions when you began your day by reading the Bible -- particularly the Psalms or Proverbs -- and how you seemed to be more peaceful, more energetic, more positive, more joyous in your outlook.  One thing is certain, -- no matter the interpretation of the statement, your spiritual attitude makes a big difference in how you face the day.  The more confident, faith-driven, and upbeat you are, the less likely you are to fall into the pit of discouragement, depression, anger, or judgmentalism; and the less likely you are to yield to thoughts and actions of immorality. 

It's just that simple.

2.  The second phrase seems to be the idea of living longer, for it uses the term, "length of years".  While it doesn't hold true all the time, I have found that unless a Christian has some kind of serious health issues, many believers tend to live longer lives.  I can't tell you how many fellow church members I've known over the past 60+ years who lived far beyond the average life span of Americans.  We've had many who lived well into their 90's -- and some to be 100 or older.  Right now one of our Chapel members in Greer celebrated her 100th birthday a few months ago.

One of my favorite memories is of "Uncle John Scarborough" who was a member of the first church I pastored.  Already weak, bed bound, and nearly blind, he brought joy to my young pastoral heart every time I drove to the nearby town to visit him in the nursing home.  I would ask him, "Uncle John, how are you doing today?", to which he would answer with a smile on his face, "Two in a row!"

Often I'd ask him to sing for me because he had a clear beautiful tenor voice.  Although he had lost all vibrato, the clarity and pitch of his voice were striking, and almost invariably he'd sing, I Want To Be A Worker In the Vineyard of the Lord.  When he died at nearly 102 years of age, I found the words to that old song and sang it at his celebration of life service.

Christians living longer than non-Christians is borne out by a 2018 study by Ohio State University in which the study showed that people with religious affiliations lived an average of four years longer than those with none.  The study looked at the obituaries of over 1,000 random people showing that those with religious affiliation of any kind indeed lived longer.  Associate Professor of Psychology and co-author of the Ohio State study, Baldwin Way, said, "the study provides persuasive evidence that there is a relationship between religious participation and how long a person lives.”

A similar study was conducted by a Des Moines, Iowa, newspaper, but it revealed an even greater increase -- nearly six and one-half years longer life span by those with religious affiliations.  Before gender and marital status were factored into the study, the length of life extension for religious people was an astonishing nine and one-half years!  Just imagine what life expectancy might really be if one factors in personal Christian disciplines such as prayer, reading the Bible, volunteering, ministering to others, and the like.   You can read a little about the research projects at http://www.aau.edu/research-scholarship/featured-research-topics/people-religious-affiliations-live-longer-study-shows.  Numerous other studies have predictably produced the same type of results.

3.  Finally, Solomon points out that when a person reads and follows the pathway scripture gives him, his life will be characterized by a spirit of peace.  It's not just a moment or an hour of peace, but a thorough disposition and lifestyle of peacefulness.  There is a sense of serenity and contentment that develops in the heart of the person who has chosen to follow the direction of the Compass.  And, in times such as this when morality has fled the scene and immorality is like a marauding mob throwing an uncontrollable orgy, one can never find inner peace and contentment -- unless he remembers God's alternative, -- "this is the way; walk in it" (Isa 30:21).

I don't know about you, but my greatest temptation is to simply, "curse the darkness" rather than focus on "shining the light".  Just before He left planet earth, Jesus said He was leaving His followers something very special -- peace.  He said, . . .

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."

If you think that the floodwaters of immorality are overwhelming our society, it seems that you are right.  However, that doesn't negate God's command that we not drown in it.  If we will commit ourselves to staying true to the Compass of God's Word, we can live long and fruitfully, buoyed by a spirit of peace.  It is the peace of which Paul wrote when he encouraged the believers in Philippi with these words: --

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:7).

There is indeed something quite unusual -- and inexplicable -- about living morally in an immoral world.  It is even more inexplicable that you and I can do it with a sense of inner peace.

MORALITY HAS ITS BLESSINGS -- AN EXAMPLE:

It was not my intent when I began writing this letter to divide it into more than one letter.  However, today as I resumed writing, I ran across an outstanding article by Star Parker that perfectly illustrates the issue of morality before us today. 

Jo Ann and I had the rare privilege of meeting Star and knowing her "casually" over a period of several years when we would attend various events.  More than once we enjoyed wonderful conversation over dinner at some of these gatherings.  Star is a devout Christian woman who has deep-seated beliefs based on biblical truth, not the least of which are racial equality and the sanctity of life.  Her life story is worthy of every person of any race born in difficult circumstances to take the time to know more about her.

As one of the names on the short list of influential national black conservative leaders, Star is the founder and president of the Center for Urban Renewal and Education, a Washington D.C.-based public policy institute that promotes market-based solutions to fight poverty and help transition America’s poor from government dependency.  Her experience and insight come directly out of seven years of first-hand experience in the grip of welfare dependency. After her conversion to Christ, her life was dramatically changed.

Star has a bachelor’s degree in Marketing and International Business from Woodbury University and is the recipient of numerous awards and commendations for her work on public policy issues.  In 2016, she received the “Ronald Reagan Foot Soldier of the Year.”  In 2017, Star was the recipient of the Groundswell Impact award, and in 2018, Bott Radio Network presented Star with its annual Queen Esther award.  In 2018, she was appointed to the U.S. Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Commission.  Today she regularly consults with both federal and state legislators on market-based strategies to fight poverty. 

To date, Star Parker has spoken on more than 225 college campuses, including Harvard, Berkeley, Emory, Liberty, Franciscan, UCLA and UVA., has written several books,  and is a regular commentator on several national television and radio networks.  Currently Star is a nationally syndicated columnist with Creators, reaching 7 million readers weekly.  So, she seems to me to have the credentials to share her thoughts about some of our major moral issues of the day.

In light of the recent SCOTUS decision knocking down the flawed and illegal Roe v. Wade ruling of 1973, and especially in view of the frenzy of irrational, illogical, and incorrect jabbering among liberals and mainstream media, it seems to me that a voice like Star Parker's is one that needs to be heard.  The fact that many social issues, and all moral issues are rooted deeply in spiritual issues, it seems obvious that her remarks fit perfectly with Solomon's admonition that following the teachings of scripture will inevitably lead to a life of morality. 

For that reason, I am including her comments here, and will continue examining Solomon's other words of counsel in my next letter.   Please give careful thought to Star's remarks.

><>     ><>     ><>     ><>     ><>

Abortion, Democracy and History
by Star Parker

When Sen. Stephen Douglas and Abraham Lincoln faced off in a debate in Peoria, Illinois, in 1854, the issue tearing apart the nation was slavery.  A central issue was whether slavery would be permitted in new territories entering the union.  Douglas' answer to the question was politics. Lincoln's answer was morality and the Bible.

Douglas' answer to slavery in new states, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, was democracy.  Citizens would vote to permit or not permit slavery in their state.  Lincoln opposed the expansion of what he saw as the inherently evil institution of slavery.  In the Peoria debate, Lincoln stated, . . .

"Judge Douglas interrupted me to say that the principle of the Nebraska bill was very old: that it originated when God made man and placed good and evil before him, allowing him to choose for himself, being responsible for the choice he should make."

Lincoln's answer was, . . .

"God did not place good and evil before man, telling him to make his choice. On the contrary, He did tell him there was one tree, of the fruit of which he should not eat, on pain of certain death."  Lincoln argued, essentially, that at the heart of political freedom stands man's free choice and that the choices man makes have profound importance and consequences.  Douglas argued that the most important thing is that we can choose. Lincoln argued that the most important thing is what we choose.

Now here we are, almost 170 years after Lincoln and Douglas faced off in Peoria, and the nation is at a similar crossroads in another issue of grave moral consequence — our responsibilities to the unborn.

Justice Samuel Alito, in his opinion in the Dobbs decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, argued from a legal, constitutional perspective. His conclusion, contrary to the court's conclusion in Roe v. Wade, was the U.S. Constitution does not contain a right for a woman to abort her child.

However, the practical, moral result of this decision is that Alito put the nation on the moral footing where Lincoln argued regarding slavery.  The moral consequence of Roe v. Wade was to institutionalize Douglas' argument that our ultimate American value is choice — not what we choose.

The moral consequence of the Dobbs decision is to secure the notion that where, in the preamble of the U.S. Constitution, it says its aim is to "secure the blessings of liberty," that what the Constitution protects is our responsibility to make the right choices. Choice is not the ultimate end, but what we choose.

But it's not over. Now we have clarification that it is not moral relativism that our Constitution secures, but deeper truths of right and wrong.  Now that we know what the Constitution does not do, we will find out what our 50 states will choose to do, meaning where the consciences are of the individual citizens in those states, who will determine these outcomes.

We are in a place eerily similar to what Douglas wanted regarding slavery. Now states will choose yes or no on abortion.  In other words, . . .

Will states decide that the ultimate value is the ability to choose, or is the ultimate value what choices are made?

Is our ultimate value that a woman have the option to destroy her unborn child, or is our ultimate value sanctity of life?

These are the questions before us and that will define who we are as a nation and as a people.

Although in the 1850s the country was deeply divided on the issue of slavery, one would be hard-pressed today to find anyone who would agree with Douglas that democracy and the vote should decide whether slavery would be permitted.  I predict that history will take the same course regarding our increasing awareness regarding the sanctity of life and our responsibility to protect the unborn. But clearly, we are in for the long haul.

><>     ><>     ><>     ><>     ><>

CONCL:

You may wonder whether or not morality and goodness will ever return to our country -- to the human race, in fact.  If scripture is any indicator, that will not truly happen until our Lord Jesus Christ returns to reign and rule in sovereign perfection. 

Until then, we will always have to deal with the broken and fallen heart of human nature.  It is the penalty for choosing the wrong pathway in the Garden of Eden.  The pathway of independence from God never ends well -- for anyone.

The revered Horatio Bonar said it well: --

>  "The road is rugged, and the sun is hot. How can we be but weary? Here is grace for the weariness – grace which lifts us up and invigorates us; grace which keeps us from fainting by the way; grace which supplies us with manna from heaven, and with water from the smitten rock. We receive of this grace, and are revived. Our weariness of heart and limb departs. We need no other refreshment. This is enough. Whatever the way be – rough, gloomy, unpleasant – we press forward, knowing that the same grace that has already carried thousands through will do the same for us." -- Horatio Bonar  (Bonar was a 19th Century Scottish preacher and hymnodist and contemporary to Robert Murray McCheyne.  One of the most popular Scottish preachers of all time, he authored numerous books and over 140 hymns, all of which were saturated with deep and rich truths.)

Just as God's grace was sufficient for Paul as he faced whatever his "thorn in the flesh" was, it will also be sufficient for you and me.

In the meantime, we must never give up on the idea of living a life of righteousness and morality, using God's Word as both our standard and our compass.  It is really true ---- "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any man." (Prov 14:34)

I pray that someday we learn that.

In His Bond, By His Grace, and for His Kingdom,

Bob Tolliver -- Romans 1:11

"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness,
    examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."
-- Dr. Luke (Acts 17:11)

"A fire kept burning on the hearthstone of my heart, and I took up the burden of the day with fresh courage and hope." -- Charles F. McKoy

Life Unlimited Ministries
LUMglobal
lifeunlimited@pobox.com

Copyright July, 2022

"If Jesus had preached the same message that many ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified." -- Leonard Ravenhill 

"The time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep,  the Church will have clowns entertaining the goats." -- Charles H. Spurgeon

If this letter has blessed you, feel free to forward it or copy from it, with proper credits, to any and all you wish.

Please do NOT hit reply to this letter.  This is an automated unmanned system. 
If you want to write Bob, send directly to lifeunlimited@pobox.com.
Replying to "Shoulder To Shoulder" mailer gets you nowhere.

--
To subscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-subscribe@welovegod.org> To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-unsubscribe@welovegod.org