Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Shoulder To Shoulder #1302 -- 8/1/22 ---- "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 10 -- Another Look at the Compass -- Kindness and Truth C)"

Posted by: rtolliver49 <rtolliver49@...>

"Standing Together, Shoulder To Shoulder, As We Fight the Good Fight of Faith"

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER is a weekly letter of encouragement Bob has written since 1997, covering many topics selected to
motivate people to be strong students of the Word and courageous witnesses of Jesus Christ.  It is a personal letter of
encouragement to you, written solely to help "lift up hands that hang down".

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." -- Albert Einstein

“There is a common, worldly kind of Christianity in this day, which many have, and think they have -- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody,
    and requires no sacrifice, which costs nothing, -- and is worth nothing.”
– J. C. Ryle 

Shoulder To Shoulder #1302 -- 8/1/22

Title:  "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 10 -- Another Look at the Compass -- Kindness and Truth C)"

My Dear Friend and Co-Laborer With Christ:

As I begin writing today, we are back again in Greer after a rushed six-day trip to Yuma for a few days of appointments and tasks -- and a little rest.  It was an unscheduled trip that came as a result of all of the week-day Chapel activities being cancelled because the Community Center had to be prepared for its annual fund-raising auction and rummage sale.  We returned Saturday afternoon (less eastbound traffic) and had a wonderful Sunday service where I preached on "Ancient Paths -- The Pathway of Righteousness".  That was the ninth sermon of the series so far, and if all goes as planned, I will preach seventeen sermons on the topic by the end of the season on September 28th.  I'll probably share yesterday's sermon with you somewhere along the way.

We are currently in the "monsoon" season here in Arizona where we have an abundance of rain here in the mountains -- usually daily, and often two or three times during the day.  It is the season characterized by lighting and thunder storms, occasional pea-sized hail, and the "greening up" of the high plains vegetation.  It's our favorite time of year because the wild flowers explode along the roads and the fields.  It is not uncommon to see flocks of bighorn sheep and antelope and herds of elk and deer. 

Our season at Greer Chapel this year has been a mixed bag.  Our attendance has still not recovered from the COVID pandemic, and we are running only about 60% of our normal attendance of the past.  The lock downs and mandates that were imposed impacted our people just as it did the general populace.  In that the Chapel is made up mainly of retired people, some were economically unable to return, others incurred serious health issues, and still others simply "aged out" or could no longer handle the oxygen level of higher altitudes.  Even today Steve, our "go to prayer guy", posted special prayer requests for some of our members who are not faring well or have medical appointments.

All of that notwithstanding, Sunday was a very good day, capped off by fellowship with other resort ministry pastors and the state convention's executive director, David Johnson -- and then an evening drive to Dairy Queen for a four-piece box of chicken fingers and banana split blizzard to split for supper.  We were shocked when the server told us the cook had been generous to us -- and gave us twelve instead of four!  To top it off, she made the blizzard so it rose 3/4" above the top of the cup.

Yes, I'd say that, all in all, Sunday was a really good day -- good enough to sleep through two of my favorite news updates in my recliner before going to bed.  So, now it's time to do a little writing.

Again we return to the study on "Seeking Ancient Paths -- Another Look At the Compass".  Based on Prov 3:1-12, it wasn't my plan to break this look into sections, but as I examined the nine ways in which the Compass of God's Word guides us along those Ancient Paths, it became obvious that breaking it down was going to be necessary.  So, today, I want to consider #'s 2 and 3 -- God's Compass pointing us to kindness and truth.  We'll do that momentarily, but first consider . . .

THIS 'N' THAT:

Facts vs. Myths on "Respect For Marriage" Act:  The 1996 "Protection of Marriage" law has been under constant attack since its adoption.  The latest is the current "Respect For Marriage" Act the House has already voted on and on which the Senate could vote any day.  If adopted and signed into law by President Biden, it will open up a Pandora's Box for future action violating the biblical model of marriage.  Check out some facts at https://washingtonstand.com/commentary/13-faqs-on-the-respect-for-marriage-act.

Crackdowns and Persecution of Christians Ongoing:  Sometimes we forget that Christians are still being banned, ejected, and persecuted around the world.  Some of that world is not far from us.  Here is one example.  Go to https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-62076784

Blueprint of our Nation's Founding:  Have you ever heard of the "National Monument To The Forefathers"?  Most people haven't.  Kirk Cameron and Dave Stotz both have videos out about it.  Jason Yates gives a very brief description in a July 30th article in the Western Journal.  Check it out at https://thefederalistpapers.org/op-ed/op-ed-blueprint-nations-success-still-exists-right-next-plymouth-rock

Florida Takes A Stand For Students:  The state of Florida has passed laws that prohibit transgender bathrooms, and other federally encouraged or supported practices.  In doing so, the State Board of Education has explained that many of those practices are "guidelines" and not "laws" or federally mandated policies.  Florida can set a good example for other states to follow.  Go to washingtonstand.com/news/-florida-tells-schools-ignore-bidens-transgender-policiesor-else for details.

QUOTES FOR THE WEEK:

>  "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell 

>  "One of the virtues our Founding Fathers are known for, is Kindness. Thomas Jefferson was known to receive visitors to the President’s Mansion without prior announcement or request. He was always polite and gracious to his visitors.  George Washington likewise entertained drop-in guests at Mount Vernon and served them delicious meals and cheerful reunions.  Benjamin Franklin was always very diplomatic. He treated everyone like an equal." -- Stephen Allen, J.D. (Founding Fathers: Uncommon Heroes, April 4, 2017)

>  " Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." -- St. Paul (Eph 4:29)

>  "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts." -- Abraham Lincoln 

>  "I expect to pass through life but once.  If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." -- William Penn 

>  "May I never get too busy in my own affairs that I fail to respond to the needs of others with kindness and compassion." -- Thomas Jefferson 

>  "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." -- Winston Churchill 

>  " Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." -- Apostle John (I John 3:18) 

>  "The naked truth is always better than the best-dressed lie." -- Ann Landers 

>  "Speak ill of no man, but speak all the good you know of everybody." -- Benjamin Franklin 

>  "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." -- St. Paul (Col 3:12)

>  "You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force." -- Publifius Syrus 

>  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -- Charles Spurgeon 

>  "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." -- St. Paul (II Tim 2:15)  

QUICK REVIEW:

In this current series we're looking at God's admonition to Judah as recorded by the prophet, Jeremiah, that they are at a major crossroads where they can seek out and return to the ancient paths God had set forth in His commandments and laws given to Moses for them, or their future path was going to be worse than they had ever seen anytime in their history before.  The text reads, . . .

Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls. But they said, 'We will not walk in it.'  And I set watchmen over you, saying, 'Listen to the sound of the trumpet!' But they said, 'We will not listen'." -- Jer 6:16-17 

I can't help but think of the United States when I read Jeremiah's prophecies, even though those events took place nearly 3,000 years ago.  What concerns me is that, even though God has been calling us back to our Judeo-Christian roots for more than a century, many of His trumpeters no longer blow their trumpets -- some don't even pick them up anymore -- and America by-and-large refuses to change course and refuses to listen.  It's true that in many circles a return to religion is actually increasing, but at least for those in positions of influence and power, we are willfully moving even further away.  They are not just straying, -- they are intentionally rejecting God's order of things.

For the past letter or two we've been taking a look at the "Compass" needed in order to follow those ancient paths -- namely, the Bible.  In my most recent letter we began examining Solomon's description of that "Compass", looking at his counsel in Prov 3.  We specifically looked at the first two verses, where Solomon describes the first of nine specific things God's Word will direct us to ---- The Compass of God's Word Will Point us to a Path and Life of Consistent Morality. (1-2)

“My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.” 

We looked at how the practice of seeking wisdom from God's Word would do many things, not the least of which was to increase our endurance, extend our life span, and bestow a spirit and disposition of peacefulness.  God's Word, when used to give us direction for the journey, will inevitably do that.  You can go back and review the previous letter if you need to refresh your thinking any further.

Today, then, I want to continue by addressing the following -- kindness and truth.  And, I must do so together because that's exactly the way Solomon addressed them in our text, Prov 3:1-12.  So, to start with, . . .

II.  THE COMPASS OF GOD'S WORD WILL POINT US TO KINDNESS. (3)

“Do not let kindness . . . leave you; Bind [it ] around your neck, Write [it] on the tablet of your heart.”

In all honesty, this idea of kindness is a subject in which the overwhelming majority of people -- and particularly Christians -- have a mono-faceted view of what it means, when it, instead, is much like a multi-faceted diamond.  Each facet reveals something different and more meaningful.  There are a multitude of synonyms used in the Bible to describe kindness.  For example, goodness, deeds of devotion, devotion, devout, faithfulness, favor, good, kindnesses, loveliness, lovingkindness, lovingkindnesses, loyal deeds, loyalty, mercies, merciful, mercy, righteousness, unchanging love.  Merriam-Webster Dictionary lists over 130 synonyms and antonyms for "kindness". 

When one considers all these different facets synonymous with "kindness", it becomes pretty clear that the understanding that you and I normally have about the principle is extraordinarily limited -- and anemic, to be brutally honest.  One encyclopedia described it as, "a behavior marked by ethical characteristics, a pleasant disposition, and concern and consideration for others. It is considered a virtue, and is recognized as a value in many cultures and religions."

Four words stand out to me in this description -- "behavior", "disposition", "virtue", and "value".  This tells me that kindness is much more than a mere act.  It is a disposition -- a characteristic of life -- a lifestyle.  So, obviously it is far more than a simple deed or act.  The deed is the demonstration of kindness, but kindness is a demeanor or a disposition.

It was also described as, "a type of behavior marked by acts of generosity, consideration, rendering assistant or concern for others, without expecting praise or reward in return. Kindness is a topic of interest in philosophy and religion. Kindness was one of the main topics in the Bible."

The New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance (NASEC from here on) defines “Kindness” in this way -- "Expressions of devotion, goodness, faithfulness, mercy, etc." and lists all of those facets I noted earlier.  Clearly Solomon is making a heavy statement -- far heavier than first meets the eye.  He's not talking about what our parents usually meant when they said, "Now be kind to the kitty!  Don't hit it!  Don't pull its tail!" 
All they were doing was telling us to don't do the kitty what we usually wanted to do.  They were telling us to not take a particular action, but they were not telling us anything about our attitudes that made us want to do those mischievous things.

As I have written today, I've had to go back time and time again to examine more closely those synonyms the NASEC included in its definition of that one Hebrew word, חֶסֶד -- pronounced "chesed" in English.  In pondering them and trying to soak my mind in their meanings, three primary thoughts capture my attention -- Demonstration, Disposition, and Durability.

Demonstration:  Clearly when you look at the many facets of the word, there is an expression of kindness; there are examples of kindness.  They are called "deeds of kindness" -- so there are "deeds" you can carry out.  Jesus described them as letting, "your light so shine . . . so they may see your good works . . ."  (Mt 5:16).  Think about this -- is it possible for kindness to be present if there is no act of some kind accompanying it?  In a way, it's a little like the question, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Look at some of the synonyms that are listed in the NASEC ---- "goodness", "deeds", "favor", "behavior", etc.  Obviously any claim of kindness is irrelevant unless there is action that shows it.

This brings me, then, to our . . .

Disposition The point is this:  there is more -- far more -- to kindness than only acts.  Acts emerge from attitudes.  Therefore, an act is kind or unkind depending solely on the attitude or disposition of the one carrying out the act.  So, for an act to be an actual act of kindness, the act itself must come for an attitude of kindness.  Just because we take a loaf of fresh-baked bread to the cranky lady next door doesn't mean in the least that we are actually being kind.  We may be simply trying to shut her up, buy her off, or show ourselves to be superior to her.

Unless we have a heart of kindness toward her, our giving her the bread was not an act of kindness -- it was an act of bribery -- or perhaps a vain emollient for our own conscience that condemns us for our disdain for the cranky lady next door.  When you examine those synonyms above, several show us that true kindness is more than an act; rather, it is a character quality of the Christian -- it is an attitude or disposition.    Notice some of them: -- "kind", "devout", "faithful", "good", merciful", etc. 

This should remind us that it isn't so much as what we do as it is who we are.  You and I should not be content with being known as someone who does kind deeds.  Instead, we should want to be known as a kind person.  It should be a lifestyle for us -- a way of life.  In a very real sense, it is when our "walk" and our "talk" are in harmony.

But, this raises another issue -- how long are we to be kind?  This speaks to me of the third word, . . .

Durability:  As I studied those words above, I quickly noticed another aspect of kindness, and that is its longevity and its endurance.  It didn't take long for me to realize that kindness is not only an act that comes from a kind heart, but it is a kind heart that is in it for the long haul.  Let me use a personal illustration.  As the result of Jo Ann and I having served as missionaries in Ukraine, we have a passion to come alongside the Ukrainian people in general and our many friends in particular and find ways to demonstrate acts of kindness to them, primarily in three ways -- praying for them (obviously), sending e-mails, text messages, and posts on social media, and raising funds to send them for humanitarian aid.

It all started for us the week after the war started when one of the leaders in our Chapel in Yuma proposed that we take all of the offering from that Sunday and send it to people we know in Ukraine.  The response was immediate, and generous.  It was the beginning of what continues to this day, over five months later.  We try to regularly send money to eight different individuals or ministries whom we know personally, who are trustworthy, and who are faithfully ministering to refugees, widows, orphans, churches, a seminary, and a hospital.

However, -- and this is not a complaint or criticism of any kind, but an observation that illustrates this point -- some who gave early on are still doing so today as God enables them, while others no longer participate financially.  While I don't have a count immediately in front of me (and Jo Ann is away at a women's Bible study), I do know we have received and given away somewhere close to $25,000.  When the war first started, funds came in by the thousands of dollars in a week's time.  Today, it has dwindled down to a few hundred dollars over the period of an entire month.

Now, I fully understand giving patterns.  Some people have the spiritual gift of giving, and those people usually give generously to a specific cause perhaps only once or twice.  Others give on the spur of the moment and seldom give more than once.  Others give frequently over an extended period of time.  But, the thing I feel God has pointed out to me is the difference between compassion, pity, and kindness.

Some people give simply because they feel sorry for someone -- they feel pity.  Others give out of compassion -- they truly care.  They don't just pity someone, but they really care and they want to help lift the burden.  Others want to put feet to their compassion by acting in kindness, so they give repeatedly over a period of time -- either until that need is met in other ways or until the need no longer exists.

If you look at that word list above, you will notice that several of them have longevity built into them -- words like, "faithful", "loyal", "longsuffering", "enduring", "devout", "unchanging", etc.

So, what has occurred to me is that the kindness Solomon is referring to, and to which the "Compass" (God's Word) points in seeking out and walking those Ancient Paths of bygone days, is a kindness that is not only visibly expressed, and not only comes from someone in whom kindness is a character quality, but is a kindness that endures.  So, it's not just that you or I are seen as kind because of some act of kindness, or even that we are known as a kind person, but that we are consistently and persistently kind all the time -- for all of our lives.

When I realized that this is the kindness that Solomon urges us to never let escape our inner beings, I knew that far too many times I had fallen far short of being a truly kind person -- and had settled for something less.  God's Word, however, points us directly to "magnetic north" where the Holy Spirit shows us that to be kind -- truly and scripturally kind, -- we must be people who are Responsive to needs through action, Reputable as a person who is characteristically kind, and Reliable as a person who consistently maintains and expresses kindness for the duration, no matter how long it may be.

The Apostle Paul, more often than not known for his direct and confrontational approach in his letters, was also a man who persistently manifested kindness under unimaginable circumstances.  He refers to that aspect of his nature to the Corinthian Christians in his second letter (actually probably his third, with an earlier one lost or unknown) when he lists his kindness to them.  Picking up in the middle of his long list, he wrote, . . .

". . . in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love,
2Co 6:7  in the word of truth, in the power of God; by the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and the left, . . ."
(see II Cor 6:1-11).

In writing to the believers in Galatia, he powerfully points out the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and mentions kindness as the fifth of nine things the Holy Spirit will produce in us if we choose to "walk" the Ancient Paths of the Holy Spirit.  (See Gal 5:22-23).

Again, the great Apostle exhorts still another group of believers, this one in Colossae, to . . .

"So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

"Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.  Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God." (Col 3:12-16).

Finally, Paul also urges the believers in Ephesus, . . .

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted,forgiving each other, just as God . . has forgiven you.” (Eph 4:32).

Next, I need to point out that "kindness" in all of its vast richness and colorful facets, is not alone.  It is important that kindness has a strong and firm foundation if it is to survive unadulterated.  It is no accident that Solomon links it to something critical to all of life.  So, . . .

THE COMPASS OF GOD'S WORD WILL POINT US TO TRUTH: (3)

Returning that Solomon's initial admonition in verse three, we find the second element in this couplet of counsel -- truth.  It is not only kindness, but also truth that we need to bind to our hearts.  In that I addressed this in an earlier letter, I'll try to touch on it fairly briefly, with the assurance of Jesus that, . . . .

". . . you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. . . . So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:22,36).

Solomon continued his counsel by urging us also, . . .

“Do not let . . .  truth leave you; . . . ”

For most of us truth is a much more concrete word than kindness; it is easier to understand, and generally easier to recognize when we see it.  However, the world has done its best to both diminish its meaning, degrade its importance, and distort its definition.  I won't waste time and space to explain myself further other than to say that humanists erase God from its make-up, progressives exploit it by insisting that truth is "in the eye of the beholder" so that your truth and my truth -- both equally valid and important -- may not be the same. 

In the process, truth has been so distorted and diluted that the overwhelming majority of unbelievers do not believe there is such a thing as absolute truth.  In our world, truth is merely "relative".  The sad thing is that there actually is no such thing as "relative truth".  Something is either true or it isn't.

Nothing could be more important for Solomon to emphasize as extremely essential than the matter of truth.  The Hebrew word used here is אֱמֶת and is pronounced "emeth" in English.  Words used to describe it are, "fact", "factual", "factual firmness", "faithfulness to", "factual faith", "faithful to" "lasting", "right", "fact that you may correctly trust", "certain", "trustworthy", "established", etc.

The word actually comes from a Hebrew "root" word pronounced "aw-man" in English that indicates something that is so concrete, permanent, and verifiable that it is irrefutable.  Solomon urges us that we must never lose sight of truth -- the truth.  It is the "absolute" against which everything in life must be measured.

I don't think it is just coincidence that both kindness and truth are expressed through Solomon's singular thought.  Truth has no real value unless it is somehow expressed in the proper way.  When truth is expressed in anger or hostility, it accomplishes nothing except to widen chasms that separate.  Truth is designed to console, restore, explain, and reveal.  The Apostle Paul exhorts us, "speak the truth in love." (Eph 4:15).

In similar fashion, kindness is not real kindness unless it is accompanied by truth.  If you think about it, it seems to me that trying to be kind without the truth about the situation is an exercise in deception and mischief.  Kindness expressed under the motive of assumption or dishonesty does far more damage than good because it either hides the motive of the person being kind, or it covers the "sins" or the evil motives of the one to whom kindness is being expressed. 

An example is the wife of an unbelieving husband who, whenever he is confronted and convicted by his sin, makes excuses for him, declaring that he's actually, "a good man at heart".  In doing so, she stands in the way of the Holy Spirit Who is dealing with him and trying to draw him to salvation.  She may be well intentioned in her kindness, but she is suppressing the truth, creating deception and distortion.

Why, then, does it seem that Solomon links kindness and truth together in this admonition?  Consider and see if you agree with these statements:

1.  It is impossible to be kind without the truth.

2.  It is impossible to be kind and untruthful at the same time.

3.  It is impossible to be truthful if you are unkind.

I both the Greek and Hebrew languages, the use of couplets -- linking two words or thoughts together -- is a common practice.  It is not accidental.  True kindness and real truth need each other.  They do not fare well when separated from each other.  Take the woman married to an unbelieving husband.  If she will not admit the truth, her justification of his sin will in no way be an expression of kindness.  If she wants to be genuinely kind, she must be willing to acknowledge the truth.  Rejecting the truth is the highest form of unkindness she can demonstrate.

"Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another." (Eph 4:25)

“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech [only], but with actions [behavior] and in truth.” (I Jn 3:18).

PERMANENTLY BOUND TOGETHER: (3)

There is further evidence in this text that kindness and truth go together.  Three phrases in particular bear this out:

"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart." (3)

Each of these terms speak to us of the grave importance -- even the urgency -- of maintaining both kindness and truth in our lives as a compass that constantly points us toward Christ and the "ancient pathway" He has mapped out for us.  In doing so, Solomon urges us to prohibit one thing and practice two.  In each of the three, there is a strong authoritative tutorial instruction spoken directly to us.  It is difficult to grasp the seriousness of his admonitions, and certainly impossible to overestimate their importance.

First, he tells us, absolutely do now allow kindness and truth to . . .

1.  Do NOT allow them to “Leave you”. = "Abandon", "slip away", "get away from", "forsake", "turn loose of", "desert", "fail", "withdraw", "neglect", etc.  There are more descriptives even that these terms to alert us to a major potential -- losing our hold or losing our grip on two absolute essentials -- kindness and truth.

The warning is clear -- if you ever neglect, ignore, or lose interest in kindness and truth, they will slip away from your grip like a balloon in the wind.  I cannot overemphasize the seriousness of the warning.  The world swirls around us with reckless destruction, its values and temptations pummeling us like hailstones in a prairie storm. 

Solomon -- I can just imagine him writing this later in life after he has weathered the countless challenges of his moral values, his power, and his kingdom -- urging us out of his experience that we must hang onto kindness truth like a desperate mother clutching the arm of her child about to be wrenched from her grip by a raging river.  That is the picture I think Solomon is trying to portray as he urges, -- "Don't ever, ever, ever let kindness and truth be ripped from your soul!  They must remain, at all cost!"

2.  Solomon admonishes, rather, that we must, "Bind them around your neck."  At first glance we would assume we are to symbolically wrap kindness and truth around our necks like a rope or noose, but this is really not the picture described in these specially chosen words. 

Instead, the instruction relates to the idea of conspiring together.  The Hebrew word for "bind" is קָשַׁר. pronounced "qashar" in English.  Synonyms include, "to tie", "to gird", "to confine", "to compact", "to join together", "to knit together", "to make strong", "to work against treason".  This command refers to the idea taken from the instructions in Deuteronomy to "bind" God's laws around one's arm and forehead.  It's the idea of total commitment, carrying them and being bound to them, absolutely refusing to part with them.

The word for "neck" is particularly interesting because it refers to the "throat".  However, it refers to it in a specific and unique way -- "to ruminate".  It refers to the neck or throat in specific reference to its use in ruminating.  Ruminating, as you probably recall, is what a cow does when it chews its cud after having grazed for a period of time.  The cow's digestive system works when the cow swallows the grass, lets it settle for a bit, then belches it up and chews on it some more.  This will happen many times over the course of digesting the food.

So, while you may think this is a bit of a stretch, Solomon is actually telling us that not only are we to not allow kindness and truth "out of our sight", so to speak, he is also telling us we are to "ruminate" on them and their great significance.  The closest words we have to explain the process is "contemplate", "ponder", "consider", and/or "meditate". 

One of my favorite scriptures explains it well:

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." (Josh 1:8).

But, Solomon doesn't stop there.  He tells us to . . .

3.  "Write them on the tablets of your heart."  If you have not noticed yet, there is that familiar divine process of "progressionary revelation" or "progressionary thought".  First, you refuse to allow kindness and truth to ever get away from you; then you ingest them into your spirit and continuously "ruminate" on them or contemplate them.  But, more is to be done.  They are to become so important to you and so much a part of you that you "write them" on the "tablets" of your heart.

Let's look, first, at "write them".  The Hebrew Word is כָּתַב, and is pronounced "kathab" in English.  It is the idea of "inscribe", "engrave", "decree", "prescribe", "record", "register", "write down", etc.  It's the idea of creating a permanent record in an official legal document in order to preserve, practice, prioritize, and pass on to the next generation.  This is in direct keeping with what God repeatedly told the Children of Israel to do before they left the wilderness to enter the Promised Land.

The next word of interest is "tablets".  Without going into detail, the Hebrew word here does NOT mean something like an animal skin, parchment, clay, or papyri.  Those are all easily destroyed or can easily disintegrate.  Instead, the word used here is  לֻחַ לוּחַ and pronounced "lûach  lûach" in English.  This word is used to specifically mean something that is durable, indestructible, and long lasting.  It refers specifically to a slab of wood, a piece of stone, or metal.

However, . . . and again I say, however! -- it is "Polished" wood, stone, or metal.  It is something that has been handcrafted, shaped, molded, prepared -- for a special purpose.

This is the condition of man's heart prepared for God.  By the work of the Holy Spirit and the ministry of Gods Word, the heart has been specially tooled with precision to receive God's revelation -- and in this case it is His revelation regarding kindness and truth.  Why is this so important?

Because if you do not allow God to make your heart -- your "tablets" -- ready, kindness and truth can easily flee or be "erased".  They must be "etched", "engraved" or "tattooed" onto your heart like on a smooth stone, a piece of polished wood, or a sheet of burnished metal, so that there is no chance of them ever being eradicated from your life.

Finally, we come to the matter of your "heart".  Can I be totally honest to say that if kindness and truth are not implanted into or engraved on your "heart", you will never take them seriously.

There is a reason for that -- The mind says, “I have to.” The emotions say, “I ought to.”  But, the heart says, “I want to.”

When we can come to this state of spiritual condition that we can eagerly embrace kindness and truth, it will be . . .

ASSUREDLY BENEFICIAL:

". . . So you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man." (4)

When I read these two descriptives of what happens to the person who is kind and holds to the truth, two things come to mind: --

1.  Character:  The word "favor" in this text comes from the Hebrew word, חֵן, pronounced "chen" in English, and literally means  "grace", "adornment", "charm", "favor", "one who pleases [others]", "well-favored", "admired", "respected", etc.  It is the idea that God and man both extend "grace" or "favorability" toward you -- not because of how you perform, but because of who you are, a kind and truthful person. 

When God grants "favor" -- His grace -- toward you, He affirms your character and subsequently then displays your character of kindness and truthfulness in the eyes of people around you.  People readily see the "real you".

2.  Reputation: -- The phrase, "good repute" can be a little misleading in a way unless we dig a little deeper.  It is the Hebrew word, שֵׂכֶל  שֶׂכֶל, pronounced "śekel śêkel" in English, and actually refers more to "understanding", "prudence", "discretion", "sense", "insight", or "intelligence" than it does to "reputation" per se.  However, it is that quality that creates your reputation before people.

The idea is this -- the fact that you have a good God-given understanding of life and its circumstances causes people to hold you in respect and high esteem.  The fact that you are a person of kindness who holds to the truth makes people respect and admire you -- or despise you, if they happen to people "on the other side of the fence".

So -- because you have chosen kindness and truth as your life's "mantra" by which you have chosen to live, God has poured out his "favor" or "grace" upon you in such a way that others see the evidence of His endorsement and blessing.  His grace, then, exalts you in the eyes of others because you are kind, unswayed by lies and deception, committed to truth that you see and understand, and can be trusted.

CONCL;

How, then, could this play out in real life?

Well, consider this: -- if you lived such a life, how would it affect your family members around you?  Would you have opportunity to encourage, counsel, and pray with them regarding issues they face?  Would any of them be motivated to emulate you?

What about your neighbors?  How would they respond to your acts of kindness toward them?  Would they be motivated to act similarly?  Would they come to you for advice -- or at least for your opinion?  Would they invite you to their block parties?  Might they even agree to go to church or a home Bible study with you?  Would they want to be actual friends with you because they know you will be kind, honest, but non-judgmental toward them?

What, then, about that church?  Would your church leaders see you as someone who could be trusted to teach a Sunday School class or lead a Bible study, knowing you could be trusted to "rightly divide the Word of truth"?  Or, would you be someone they'd affirm to serve as a deacon, an elder, or hold some other church office?

Or, consider your local school.  Would neighbors -- especially those with children -- recognize the positive contribution you would make if you were a member of the school board or parent/teacher organization?  Would they want you to be a teacher volunteer -- or even a substitute or full-time teacher if you had the credentials?

Look still a bit further.  Would people like to see you run for city council or county board of supervisors?  Or even mayor?

You get the picture, I am sure.  When we choose to allow the compass of God's Word point us toward kindness and truth, the ramifications are enormous.  When a believer submits himself to the biblical practice of kindness and the biblical teachings of truth, there's no telling just how far his influence might spread.  While it may spread no further than the four walls of his home, those who enter will notice.  If it spreads beyond, others will notice -- and will talk about you in a way that is pleasing to God.

The extent to which God extends your influence is in His hands.  Your job -- our job -- is to submit to Him.

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.

"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.

"After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you."  (I Pet 5:6-10).

The imperative to constantly be kind ("vengeance is Mine, says the Lord" -- Rom 12:19; Heb 10:30), and remain firmly to truth is to be our constant motivation.  As the hymn writer said, "Let others see Jesus in you.  Keep telling the story; be faithful and true.  Let others see Jesus in you."

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matt 5:13-16).

It may be hard to do in this fallen world -- even next to impossible -- but, if we will follow the Compass, walk in kindness and truth, the Ancient Paths will take us on a joyous journey throughout life -- all the way home.

"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart so you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man." (Prov 3:3-4).

In His Bond, By His Grace, and for His Kingdom,

Bob Tolliver -- Romans 1:11

"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness,
    examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."
-- Dr. Luke (Acts 17:11)

"A fire kept burning on the hearthstone of my heart, and I took up the burden of the day with fresh courage and hope." -- Charles F. McKoy

Life Unlimited Ministries
LUMglobal
lifeunlimited@pobox.com

Copyright August, 2022

"If Jesus had preached the same message that many ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified." -- Leonard Ravenhill 

"The time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep,  the Church will have clowns entertaining the goats." -- Charles H. Spurgeon

If this letter has blessed you, feel free to forward it or copy from it, with proper credits, to any and all you wish.

Please do NOT hit reply to this letter.  This is an automated unmanned system. 
If you want to write Bob, send directly to lifeunlimited@pobox.com.
Replying to "Shoulder To Shoulder" mailer gets you nowhere.

--
To subscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-subscribe@welovegod.org> To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-unsubscribe@welovegod.org