Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Shoulder To Shoulder #1305 -- 8/22/22 ---- "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 13: Another Look at the Compass -- Who Rules Your Resources?" F)

Posted by: rtolliver49 <rtolliver49@...>

"Standing Together, Shoulder To Shoulder, As We Fight the Good Fight of Faith"

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER is a weekly letter of encouragement Bob has written since 1997, covering many topics selected to
motivate people to be strong students of the Word and courageous witnesses of Jesus Christ.  It is a personal letter of
encouragement to you, written solely to help "lift up hands that hang down".

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." -- Albert Einstein

“There is a common, worldly kind of Christianity in this day, which many have, and think they have -- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody,
    and requires no sacrifice, which costs nothing, -- and is worth nothing.”
– J. C. Ryle 

Shoulder To Shoulder #1305 -- 8/22/22

Title:  "Seeking The Ancient Paths (Pt 13:  Another Look at the Compass -- Who Rules Your Resources?" F)

My Dear Friend and fellow Kingdom Builder:

Forgive me again for another late post.  Just as I was prepared to send the letter, we had an electrical outage that lasted several hours.  But, today all is well.

I write again today from Yuma, AZ, as we necessarily make repeated trips from Greer for doctors' appointments and sundry other responsibilities.  This has been a challenging time both in Greer and here in Yuma.  In Greer we are still dealing with the significant drop in weekly attendance as so many of our "old timers" have found it necessary to "age out" of the higher altitude and no longer come to the mountains.  At the same time, our remaining "regulars" and also numerous "newcomers" are -- like the two of us -- making unplanned trips down to the valleys for a variety of reasons -- even serious flooding in Tucson, of all places!

In Yuma, though, the two of us are having to schedule varied doctors appointments to dermatologists, hematologists, primary care doctors, and ophthalmologists.  This trip we've covered two with two more to go Thursday.  The appointments are nothing earth shattering and, so far, have been assuring and generally positive.  We had hoped this would be the final such trip, especially since the season ends in just over four weeks, but it looks like we may have to make another trip down -- due to a "fight" we had with a stray dog last Sunday on the way down.  The dog lost the battle, but inflicted about $2,000 worth of damage to our car.  Since we cannot get into a repair shop in the Greer area until November, we will probably have to return to Yuma for the repair work.  At the moment the front bumper, cowling, and air spoiler are being held in place by Gorilla Tape so we can drive without something dragging.  We will know next week in Greer when it will be necessary to return to Yuma for the repair work.

Otherwise, . . . .  EVERYTHING IS FANTASTIC!!!!

Wednesday is a special day for Jo Ann and me.  It is the 31st anniversary of Ukraine's independence from the collapsing Soviet Union.  Obviously, it is far more special to Ukrainians.  We made our first trip to Ukraine just three and one-half years after they declared independence on August 24, 1991, and on New Year's Day, 2003, unloaded our footlockers and suitcases to spend the next six years serving some amazing Ukrainians and internationals in two multi-cultural congregations.  Some of our dearest friends in the world are Ukrainians or internationals from other nations. 

I have taken the liberty of posting the following links in the event that you would like to know more about the country we love "Third only" to Israel and the United States.  The Ukrainian spirit is indomitable.  We have so many memories of our years there, and we still have many friends still there or temporarily in neighboring countries.  As Jo Ann and I watch these videos ourselves, our hearts are drawn back with great longing -- knowing that due to age and economics, we will probably never go back again.

>  Kyiv in the Summer with no war: -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axrenn4OpXA
    >  Brief Overview of Ukraine's history: -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WL2VJOn2A
    >  Historical and Cultural Facts about Ukraine -- kyivindependent.com/category/explaining-ukraine

THIS 'N' THAT:

A Very Liberal City in the Very Conservative South:  Recently the Chaplain of the fire department in Austin, TX, was terminated because of his biblical view of gender.  Check out the story at https://washingtonstand.com/news/texas-fire-chaplain-axed-for-biblical-view-of-gender .

Global Persecution of Christians:  -- Christians continue to be the most persecuted people group AND religious group in the world.  For example, . . .
    >  In Pakistan ---- https://www.worldwatchmonitor.org/2022/08/pakistan-christians-continue-to-face-blasphemy-convictions-and-violent-attacks/
    >  In Egypt ---- https://www.worldwatchmonitor.org/2022/08/egypt-father-and-son-stabbed-in-latest-attack-on-copts/
    >  Afghanistan = most dangerous country in the world for Christians ---- https://www.worldwatchmonitor.org/2022/01/afghanistan-overtakes-n-korea-as-most-dangerous-place-to-live-as-a-christian/

George Barna Says "All Hands On Deck" to Christians:  Renowned pollster George Barna has shown from his recent research that, if America is to ever return to the traditional values upon which the country was founded, it will require, "all hands on deck" -- not just in upcoming elections, but right now.  Engagement is essential immediately.  Barna wrote, . . .

"For many decades, Christians have felt they satisfied their citizen obligation by simply casting a ballot on Election Day. But the times have changed dramatically. Those votes were cast during an era when the government was legal and healthy (albeit sometimes misguided), and elections were generally fair and trustworthy.

"Those days are long gone. Corruption, deception, abuse of power, misuse of government funds, and media collusion are the new political norm in America. Merely voting is no longer enough to ensure the security and extension of a safe country driven by the Constitution, rule of law, and biblical morality.

"If there is any hope of stabilizing and restoring our nation, we desperately need an ALL HANDS ON DECK commitment from biblical Christians between now and November."

Interesting read:  https://washingtonstand.com/commentary/all-hands-on-deck-christians-need-to-engage-in-the-election-now-

QUICK RECAP:

Concluding our look through Solomon's eyes at the importance of the Bible being our "compass" for returning to and journeying those "Ancient Paths" to which Jeremiah pointed, we have examined so far . . .

1.  The Compass of God's Word Will Always Point us to a Path and Life of Consistent Morality. (Prov 3:1-2).
            ". . . do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.”

2.  The Compass of God's Word Will Always Point us to a Life of Exemplified Kindness. (Prov 3:3a).
            “Do not let kindness . . . leave you; Bind [it ] around your neck, Write [it] on the tablet of your heart.”

3.  The Compass of God's Word will Always Point us toward Absolute Truth. (Prov 3:3b)
             “Do not let . . .  truth leave you; . . . ”

4.  .  The Compass of God's Word Will Always Point us to Tenaciously Trust God. (Prov 3:5a)

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.” (5a).

5.  The Compass of God's Word Always Leads us to Seek His Will. (6)
            In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

6.  The Compass of God's Word Will Point us to Obedience. (7)
            “Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil."

Today we will conclude the look at the "Compass" by covering Solomon's final three statements:

VII.  The Compass Of God's Word Will Point Toward Health. (8)

[Fear the Lord and turn from evil;… doing so will bring] healing to your body & refreshment to your bones.”

I never cease to be amazed over how modern science so frequently coincides with and, as in this case, validates biblical truth.  Literally thousands of research projects have found that people who are religious and shy away from bad habits and attitudes and try to avoid things that are wrong overwhelmingly tend to be healthier.  You and I understand this from our own perspective as Christians, but many people simply don't "connect the dots".  They see no connection between religious and moral lifestyles and physical health.

The evidence is clear that people who attend worship services generally tend to be less stressed out.  People who follow religious discipline in their eating and drinking habits also tend to be generally healthier.  Of particular interest, though, is that people who develop the practice of reading the Bible and praying had even a far greater evidence of Solomon's admonition.  While all three of these groupings experienced generally "above average" health, it is the latter group -- prayer and Bible reading -- that tend to experience more and better health and fewer evidences of things like high blood pressure, ulcers, emotional instability, excessive emotional reactions, fear and anxiety, and so forth.

One of my favorite verses is one that contains the Apostle John's desire for a friend named, Gaius.  In his letter to Gaius, John wrote, . . .

"Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers."  (III John 1:2).

The connection between spiritual matters and physical and mental health is indisputable.  John told Gaius that he hoped he was in good health and enjoying success to the same level that he was prospering spiritually.  The implicit principle was that when we are spiritually healthy and prospering, it will show in our physical health and our external endeavors.

Proverbs 17:22 tells us, . . .'

>  "A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones."

So "the obvious is obvious" -- a person who is happy and joyful is prone to better health overall, but a person who is depressed, discouraged, sad, or has a sense of hopelessness suffers physically as well as emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

I could go on and on with other scriptures, but let's go back to the text itself and do a little dissecting of four specific words.  (This is so awesome to me -- what these words actually mean!!!)  First is the word, . . .

1.    Healing: --  The word does not refer only to the act of being healed in some way, but has a much broader meaning.  It means to experience good Health in general.  So, the first thing we understand is that living a life that reveres God with great awe, accompanied by intentional efforts to avoid all forms of sin and evil, will result in generally improved health.

2.    Body: -- When we use this word, we usually to the entire "whole" -- the complete thing: much like the "body of evidence" or the "body of literary work" or the entire "human body".  However, the Hebrew word here is much more restrictive and specific -- and profound, I might add.  It is the Hebrew word for one's "navel", or more specifically, the "umbilical cord", the "string [of life]}, or the "core of all strength".

This is a profound concept because, first of all, it refers specifically to the physical side of our being.  But, it goes further than that in declaring that when we "fear" God and refrain from evil and sinful practices, principles, and places, the part of our physical being through which all aspects of life came to us following conception -- and continues to flow through us today through our circulatory system -- will itself see improving physical health.  And, accompanying that thought is also the idea of . . .

3.    Refreshing: -- The Hebrew word for "refreshing" here literally means three things -- "moisture", "marrow", and "beverage".  That sounds pretty puzzling until you see the connection to physical and mental health and the marrow of the bones.  Is it possible that this is referring to the blood found in our bodies?  Well, I'm clearly no genius of medicine -- or of any other subject, for that matter -- but from what I gather, there are two types of marrow -- yellow and red.  Yellow marrow stores fat for future use in producing energy and strength.  Red marrow is what produces blood -- red cells and white cells.

Blood is essential to the human body.  The Bible tells us that "life is in the blood" (Lev 17:11 [See John 6:53]).  Obviously you cannot live without blood; it contains red cells and white cells . . . each responsible for moving oxygen and nutrition to all parts of the body, fighting off infections, and carrying out toxic waste so it doesn't build up and kill you.  And, of course, it was that "navel" or "umbilical cord" or "life string" that provided life-giving, life-preserving, and life-saving blood throughout the body of the fetus first, and then throughout the body as it developed further.

So, again we see how our deep reverence toward and honor to God and our efforts to abstain from evil has an automatic impact on our blood system that is so essential for all of life.  And that brings us to the final word, . . .

4.    Bones: -- This word actually refers to two things that, combined, have much to say to us about the role of God in our lives and the importance of not allowing our bodies to be compromised by things of the world. "Substance, body, strength.

No wonder Paul told us that our bodies are God's temple, that they are the dwelling places of the Holy Spirit, and that we are to offer them up to Him alone as sacrifices -- sacrifices that are alive and not dead or decayed -- sacrifices that are appropriate, worthy, and acceptable to Him.

>  "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?  If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are."  (I Cor 316-17).

>  "Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?  For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." (I Cor 6:18-20).

>  "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."  (Rom 12:1-2).

My friend, do you see the connection between Paul's admonition and that which Solomon addressed in Proverbs 3:8?  If you really "get it", it will make a difference in your values, your priorities, your spiritual condition -- AND your health.

This, then, directs us to a companion truth, and that is . . .

VIII.  The Compass Of God's Word Will Point us to Responsible Stewardship. (9-10)

“Honor the LORD from your wealth and from the first of all your produce; So your barns will be filled with plenty And your vats will overflow with new wine.”

Again, we need to closely examine several words from this statement in order to more fully understand the implication of Solomon's admonition -- at least these: . . .

1.  Wealth: --  Do you find it significant that the richest man in the known world would address a topic for which he was known as the "premier accumulator" of it all?  And, to think that he goes out of his way to make a point that we are to honor God will all we have accumulated.  Interestingly, the Hebrew word for "wealth" used here, simply means, "material substance that is enough".  You see, there are three aspects of "enough" -- not enough, enough, and more than enough.

When we are in the "not enough" category, we tend to think that God will let us off the hook when it comes to honoring Him with our stewardship.  The problem is, if we truly believe Phil 4:19 (and similar scriptures) that God truly does supply all our needs (not necessarily our wants), then even when there is "not enough", that "not enough" is actually "enough", and we are to honor Him with it.

When we actually have "enough", we have a divine mandate to manage it all -- not just some of it, like the tithe (I'll address that momentarily) -- and not just part of it.  When it comes to dealing with how God is to be acknowledged, honored, and acclaimed with our material possessions, it is to be 100% of it, and not just part of it. 

In truth, all of it belongs to Him, and none of it belongs to us.  As one person said, "I possess all, but I own nothing."  As a steward -- that is, "a house manager" or "house distributor", -- I am responsible to follow the directives of the owner of the house regarding 100% of what He has entrusted into my care.  And that includes sharing my "enough" with those who have "not enough" -- and do it with compassion and generosity.

Then we have the "more than enough" category.  Probably you and I both assume that we are not included in this category, because we seldom think we have an abundance of resources (whatever they may be) that I really don't need it all.  The fact of the matter, though, is that we probably are in this position far more frequently than we think.

Have you ever looked in your pantry and found jars of homemade jelly and realized, "I really don't need that!"?  Or looked in your closet and found shirts hanging there that you hadn't worn for years?  Actually, if we have such things in our possession, chances are we actually do have "enough" -- meaning those things are instead "more than enough"; and by they're being "more than enough", they become "more than I need".  A good steward of God, then, does something about that.

Next, we find the idea of the . . .

2.  First of all your produce: -- When you and I hear the word, "produce", we are prone to think of it as what we grow in a garden or what we milk from our cows or goats.  Solomon knew exactly what he was referring to, however, and it was much more than that.  All his life, he had been taught the concept of the "first fruits".  Ever since the Children of Israel began their journey out of Egypt, there has been the idea of "first".

When God began leading Israel to the land of promise, He initiated two expressions of faith -- offering up the "first born", and giving the "first fruits".  Robert Morris of Gateway Church in Dallas has a wonderful detailed teaching I would recommend you either read, listen, or watch.  Solomon talks about the "first fruits" in this text, but not the "first born".  There is a reason.

The command for Israel to offer up the "first born" was a symbol of Salvation.  The command to offer the "first fruits" was a symbol of Stewardship.  Morris explained the difference -- the "first born" redeems the rest, and the "first fruits" blesses the rest.  It was through the sacrifice of the "first born" male lamb that the rest of the flock was redeemed and no longer vulnerable for execution as a sacrifice.  Likewise, it was through the stewardship of giving the "first fruits" that the rest of the "fruits" were blessed.

In both cases, it was not an issue of what you gave, but rather that you gave to God "first" -- before anything else.  This action was not only an act of obedience, but was an expression of faith in God that, no matter how much you had, if you gave to Him "first", then you would always have "enough" -- even when you thought you had "not enough".

3.  Produce: -- Briefly, the word for "produce" not only means "fruit" or "grain", but it more importantly means "gain", "increase", and/or "revenue".  In other words, whatever it is that you have "produced", whether it's biscuits, crafts, corn, or dollars, God gets "first" access to it -- especially if you really want to be obedient and thus blessed because of that obedience.

4.  Barns: -- This word is a wonderful word designed to both amaze and encourage.  The word is the same as in Malachi when he writes about bringing all the "tithes" into the "storehouse".  In many translations the word "storehouse" is used.  It means, "the place of a heap" or the "storehouse where heaps are stored".  Solomon is simply telling us that if we are obedient to God with what he has given us to manage, we will have all we need, and enough left over for both "rainy days" and "lean years", but also enough to liberally give to others in need.

5.  Vats: --  This is a thrilling concept.  As is always the case with God's Word, the words His Holy Spirit chooses is neither careless nor casual.  This word is there by divine inspiration because it completes the thought the Holy Spirit used Solomon to communicate.  The word, "vats" refers specifically not so much to an object for storage as it does to a process to conduct.

When Solomon describes the "barns" or "storehouses", he is talking about resources on hand.  But when he talks about "vats", he is talking about responsibilities to handle.  The "barns" tell us what we have, but the "vats" tell us what we do.

You may wonder how in the world I come to that conclusion, so here's my reasoning.  Vats are never used for storage; they are always used for production.  "Barns" are static -- they are stationary.  "Vats" are active -- they are functionary.  "Barns" are where you put what you have.  "Vats" are where you work to produce what you have.

In this case, the vats in question consisted of two "troughs" -- an upper trough into which grapes or olives were placed for pressing, and a lower trough where the juice or oil would drain for both consumption, sales, sharing, and storage.

So, summarizing this eighth exhortation, Solomon tells us that we are to honor God with all that we have and do -- and if we will do that, we will always have enough for ourselves and more than enough for others, AND He will bless the "vats" of all our endeavors for our lifetimes. 

Do you get the idea here that if we will use the Compass of God's Word in all of life, we will "prosper" on every occasion and for every situation???

>  "Then the LORD your God will prosper you abundantly in all the work of your hand, in the offspring of your body and in the offspring of your cattle and in the produce of your ground, for the LORD will again rejoice over you for good, just as He rejoiced over your fathers; . . ."  (Deut 30:9).

Finally (Yes, I can say "Finally!"), Solomon reminds us that . . .

IX. The Compass of God's Word Will Point us to Discipline. (11-12)

“. . . do not reject the discipline of the LORD Or loathe His reproof, for whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.”

We have spent such a long time in this "Compass of God's Word" series, that I will try to cap it all off with a rather unpleasant and undesirable subject -- painful discipline.  If we are to enjoy the benefits of the previous eight things Solomon addressed, we must be willing to be disciplined by the Lord.  Yes, it's true -- "I'm doing this for your own good." 

After all, He does it because He loves us!

Perhaps you think, "I wish He didn't love me so much!"

It is intriguing to note that the word "discipline" comes from the same root word as "disciple".  So, whatever else we gain from Solomon's exhortation, we must lay the foundational thought that God disciplines -- or "corrects" -- us for a high purpose, and that is to shape us into a well-disciplined follower of Christ.  The act of disciplining us is for the purpose of making us into disciples characterized by personal discipline -- personal self-control, which is the term used more often.  This idea is illustrated in the life of Paul when he shared his own experiences with the believers in Corinth, writing, . . .

>  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."  (I Cor 9:24-27).

You already know some of the many scriptures on God's chastisement and discipline toward those who know Him.  One of my favorites is Hebrews 12 where the scribe shows us the sequence of discipline, and its ultimate goal.  So, just for a quick review, consider . . .

>  4. "You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;  5. and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, "MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;  6. FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

7.  It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?  8. But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

9.  "Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?  10. For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

11.  "All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.  12. Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble,  13. and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

14.  "Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.  15. See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;  16. that there be no immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal.  17. For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears."  (Heb 12:4-17).

Rarely do preachers speak on the subject of God's discipline, and when they do, they usually approach it from a harsh and negative perspective.  However, when you read this scripture and others, you realize that while God punishes unbelievers, He disciplines only those who are truly His.  So, if we can summarize all those scriptures along with this passages, I think we can come to the following conclusions:

1.  Paternal Proof: -- Discipline is an indicator that we are truly God's children and Christ's disciples.  Otherwise, we would be punished . . . not disciplined.  Punishment is for Retribution, but discipline is for Restoration.  God never disciplines us in order to punish us, but rather to correct us and bring us back.  This is done because He is the perfect Father who has a perfect love for His imperfect children. 

>  "Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."  (Prov 13:24).

>  "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent."  (Rev 3:19).

2.  Character Development:  Among the many scriptures on God's disciplining of His children, a primary objective is to shape a Christlike character in us.  Too often we overlook the fact that Romans 8:28 -- that "all things work together for good" passage -- is nestled in a longer passage regarding how we deal with sin and the fact that it is impossible to please God with the works of the flesh.  Rather, it is the Holy Spirit Who guides, strengthens, and sustains us through all types of adverse situations.  The statement, then, is in the framework of how God uses all kinds of things to correct, encourage, and shape us, and he shows how God has determined to use all things to ultimately make us ". . . become conformed to the image of His Son, . . ." 

"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."  (Heb 12:11).

3.  Training for Strength and Steadfastness:  Paul uses the analogies of the athlete, the farmer, and the soldier to show us that God's disciplinary action develops personal disciplined conduct in our lives.  When He disciplines us, it is for the purpose of making us stronger, smarter, and steadfast in our walk with Christ.  He wrote, . . .

3. "Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  4. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.  5. Also if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.  6. The hard-working farmer ought to be the first to receive his share of the crops.  7. Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."  (II Tim 2:3-7).

Somehow we have to get over the idea that God disciplines us simply because He is upset with us and wants to make us suffer because of our failures or disobedience.  That may be true of human parents on occasion, but never God.  Maybe we can put it this way: ----

God disciplines us so we will become disciplined disciples.

FINALLY:

Yes, finally!  But NOT finally -- yet.  It's finally for the study of discipline, and it's finally for our study of God's Word as our Compass.  But it's not "finally" for our study of Seeking the Ancient Paths".  There is still a journey ahead.  However, in considering Solomon's admonition regarding following the Compass, we've found that God's Word will ALWAYS . . .

1.  Point us to a Path and Life of Consistent Morality. (3:1-2).

2.  Point us to a Life of Exemplified Kindness. (3:3a).

3.  Point us toward Absolute Truth. (3:3b)

4.  Point us to Tenaciously Trust God. (3:5a)

5.  Lead us to Seek His Will. (6)

6.  Point us toward Obedience. (7)

7.  Point us Toward Health. (8)

8.  Point us to Responsible Stewardship. (9-10)

9.  Point us toward Effective Discipline.  (11-12)

So, I think an appropriate conclusion is to recognize that we cannot possibly seek for those "Ancient Paths" about which God reminded Jeremiah (6:16-17), let alone actually find them and then faithfully walk on them -- UNLESS we have a compass . . . a very good compass. 

Where else on this earth can you turn for such trustworthy explanation, instruction, and direction???

To live without God's Word being an integral part of your life is like trying to drive an unfamiliar road with a blindfold over your eyes and plugs in your ears.

It cannot be done.

So, . . . grab the Compass, my friend.  Get your bearings!  See where the needle points, and then hit the trail!  The trek is thrilling!

In His Bond, By His Grace, and for His Kingdom,

Bob Tolliver -- Romans 1:11

"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness,
    examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."
-- Dr. Luke (Acts 17:11)

"A fire kept burning on the hearthstone of my heart, and I took up the burden of the day with fresh courage and hope." -- Charles F. McKoy

Life Unlimited Ministries
LUMglobal
lifeunlimited@pobox.com

Copyright August, 2022

"If Jesus had preached the same message that many ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified." -- Leonard Ravenhill 

"The time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep,  the Church will have clowns entertaining the goats." -- Charles H. Spurgeon

If this letter has blessed you, feel free to forward it or copy from it, with proper credits, to any and all you wish.

Please do NOT hit reply to this letter.  This is an automated unmanned system. 
If you want to write Bob, send directly to lifeunlimited@pobox.com.
Replying to "Shoulder To Shoulder" mailer gets you nowhere.

--
To subscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-subscribe@welovegod.org> To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: shoulders-unsubscribe@welovegod.org