Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Word for Today, Sat, 13 Dec 2008: The Preparation of our Hearts

Posted by: masinick <masinick@...>

Dear friends,

Today's message comes from Quiet Walk, courtesy of Crosswalk.com and Walk Through the Bible.  One major goal of both organizations is to encourage people to read the Bible to gain an understanding and appreciation of the God who created all things and Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who gave Himself for us as a ransom - full payment - for our shortcomings and mistakes, misgivings, errors, sins, all of it.

I've been encouraging all of you to read your Bibles and pray on a daily basis.  That's a great way to prepare ourselves for this Advent season, a time of preparation.  Let's get to understand just a bit more (or hopefully a lot more) about the nature of God.

Personally, I believe that thinking about Jesus Christ and
meditating on His great love, and sharing that love with
others,  are some
of the reasons that I celebrate.  Please make time for God every day, and please read His Word.  Some day, it will make an eternal difference!

I pray for each of you that God's Word will work in your heart, help you to realize just how much He has done for each of us and how desperately we really need Him (particularly if we are feeling self sufficient).  Those of us who are struggling are probably in a better position to understand our need of Him.

For those who are struggling, I pray that God will sustain you, that there will be those around who will comfort you.  Please know that while I am very limited as a person myself, I care a great deal about all of you, which is why I devote so much time researching material and preparing these messages.  I pray that God will somehow use my feeble
writing to make a difference in the lives of many people.  That, in itself, would give me greater satisfaction than most other things I can think of.

Yours in Christ, Brian

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q U I E T   W A L K   D E V O T I O N A L
                   by <span style="border-bottom: 1px
dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); cursor: pointer;" class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1229190498_5">Walk Thru the Bible

December 4, 2002

James 4

While selfishness produces conflict, humility produces
submission to God.

INSIGHT

Selfishness is the foundation for all conflict. When two hearts want different things - and neither is willing to sacrifice for the sake of the other - conflict arises.

Selfishness is the cause of war, crime, and interpersonal
conflict. By looking out for ourselves, we think we can get what we want from life.

In contrast, the Lord teaches us that humility, not selfishness, results in satisfaction in life. Promote
yourself, and wars and conflict result. Even God is against you (v. 6). But live in humility and wars and conflict cease, assuming all parties participate. And the Lord will lift you up.

PRAYER

Praise the Lord because He resists the proud but gives grace to the humble:

Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the Lord, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name (Psalm 100:1-4).

Pause for praise and thanksgiving as you seek to keep your life <span style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); background: transparent none repeat scroll
0% 50%; cursor: pointer; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1229190498_9">free from sin:

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world (1 John 2:1-2).

Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind, and pray this affirmation to the Lord:

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst" (John 6:35).

As you make your requests known to the
Lord, include:
greater faithfulness with your time, the president and national affairs, your activities for the day.

Finally, offer this prayer to the Lord:

May the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen (Hebrews 13:20-2).

QuietWalk is published by Walk Thru the Bible Ministries, Inc. in Atlanta, GA.  If you would like to see other resources from Walk Thru the Bible, such daily devotionals, devotional Bibles, devotional books, videos and live, in-church seminars, please click here:
<span class="yshortcuts"
id="lw_1229190498_12">
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.17.9174.1.293748
http://www.walkthru.org  

* Copyright (c) 2002 Crosswalk.com, Inc. and its Content
  Providers. All rights reserved.

--

Brian Masinick, masinick at yahoo dot com

Home page: http://www.geocities.com/masinick/

--
To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: 1corinthians7-unsubscribe@welovegod.org